Tango Argentino > Why Tango Argentino?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancePoet, Nov 9, 2005.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hi folks!

So ... why do you dance Argentine Tango?

And what caused you to get started?

2. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I started because I wanted to do more dancing, and AT was the only class available on Wednesdays!

I didn't really like it to start with, but didn't want to give up too quickly so I decided to give it a month or two. I'm so glad I did. It's by far my favourite dance now - I love the music, the connection, the improvisation, the total focus...

3. jhpark

jhpark Member

What caused me to get started: swing dancing friend who raved about tango and the connection and how much she regrets not being able to dance it right now. (foot problems)

Why I still do it... I love the partner connection and the sheer necessity of lead/follow. I think it's easier to fudge the connection in lindy -- meaning that the follow can just do the movement after feeling a lead, even though the movement will feel awful -- whereas in tango I think that's a lot more difficult. Usually things go horribly wrong in a tango and it's because I'm not communicating the lead well enough.

Although it often happens that some leads that work well with good dancers don't work with less experienced ones, and I'm not at the point yet of being able to adjust for that.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q New Member

Music
    Close connection
    Friendly atmosphere in milonga
    Challenging
    A dance which I can do when I grow old
    Look beautiful

5. elZorro

elZorro New Member

Better communication, grace, tradition.

6. tangorythym

tangorythym New Member

Tango Argentino is wonderful! Local instructor Leo Sato and partner Dayle Schroeder? were inspiration, we also dance lots of other ballroom dances but, argentine tango was first love and practicing was prelude to many romantic Sunday afternoons!

7. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

It's just a beautiful dance. And it complements Lindy Hop very well.

I started by coincidense. There was a crash course nearby, and they were short on leaders. I had other plans, but a friend dragged me in.

I don't dance much AT at the moment. I don't have time to do all I want, so AT is put on hold. Lindy Hop has priority now while I'm still "young". When I get older, I will give AT higher priority.

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Because its complicated, sophisticated, intelligent, demanding, challenging and has some excellent neo-tango music to add spice to the traditional and very varied tango tunes.

9. Pathological Dancer

Pathological Dancer New Member

To some extent these are also the root causes of tremendous frustration to the point that some might quit. I mentioned this because of what I observed in my DW yesterday when we were having lessons. She was so frustrated in not being able to do the newer steps and figures that for a time being I thought she will quit on the spot. We always put off AT for last in practice or when scheduling lessons because of this high level of frustration which sometimes leads to friction. This kind of scenario does not happen as often when we do ballroom which happens to be her favorite. Any advise for an unhappy DH?

10. bonz

bonz New Member

The local AT society has a lot of really nice members.
    The teachers in our school are good at teaching. They are clear, logical, forgiving and make the class fun. I get out of class and catch myself smiling.
    At the milongas there are these lovely, highly skilled women who know I am a beginner. They readily accept my invitation to dance and are very encouraging. The milongas are a lot of fun. People are always pushing the envelope and experimenting with different moves.
    No competitions or showcases.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Patience: I think alot of students of AT try to do stuff before they're ready(me included) without getting the basics of leading following and balance into good form first. A lot of the the more advanced things require a good basic technique and only those ballet trained seem to pick them up quickly because of their good balance, I believe.

12. jhpark

jhpark Member

Martial arts and fencing help too. :)

13. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Well, in my case, I always wanted to learn "Tango." So, I got into the ballroom scene, and was on the road to be competetive.

Along came Forever Tango! OMG!!! I was learning the WRONG tango! The Argentine Tango was what I envisioned and wanted in the first place. So, I went and shifted to AT, and I have NOT done the Ballroom thing since.

14. fun

fun New Member

I was asked by my Salsa partner since she thought it would be cool to have more good male leaders.. mst have seen/hoped for a potential with me.

10 years later I am still hooked to argentine tango but I got bored of the traditional Tango music.

Fortunately there is neotango and thousands of people in all countries are now also enjoing full improvisation to the music of Henry Mancini, Frank Sinatra, Carlos Libedinsky's elecronic tangos (narcotango), Bob Marley etc..

Would I be stuck with the old music I would have given up many times. Now I think it's the most powerful partner dance in the universe and enriched my life in many ways :)

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I originally got into it because I was talked into going to Argentina. I couldn't figure out what to do by myself for a week (it's a long story), and then it dawned on me...I love dancing ballroom, I'd be in the country that is known for a particular dance--why not take lessons!

So, I did. 5 days, 20 hours of private lessons, and a chunk of change lighter, and I was on my way to dancing AT.

I fell in love with the connection and intimacy and intensity of the dancing. I mean, how many other times can you dance with your eyes closed? It's like meditating when it's good. In fact, I came back from my trip so completely relaxed because I felt like I had spent the week meditating. (My teacher had me close my eyes A LOT to focus on him, balance, weight shifts, etc.)

I couldn't stand the music when I went down. I got tired of listening to it while I was there. But since I've been back, I've fallen in love with it.

16. THATS RIGHT!!!

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Why not AT? :p

18. fun

fun New Member

Tango is wondeful at any age and skill level!

Indeed tango can be danced throughout your whole life - the oldest dancer I know who was still dancing at 100 years of age - she must have danced over 60 years or so: Carmen Cita in Buenos Aires.

The style of dancing does change though with age. Watch Sebastian Arce and Mariana. I saw them in a performance in London and what they do is just another world. Both were not even 20 yet and danced Tango already for 10 years.

If you go to Tango clubs where Tango is typically danced at a higher level of complexity dynamics and upbeat (Neotango/Tango Nuevo) - most young dancers get either impressed or scared by the energy and dynamics of the dance. This style of Tango is really mostly popular with dancers at the peak of their capabilities - although you can alway tone it down to simple walking...

One great thing of argentine tango is that you alway have many choices: from slow and simple to fast and as complicated as you wish. There are many hundred moves in tango and practically infinite possiblities for combinations. In theory a tango dancer can do with one leg only more leadable moves than any other dancer. Now add another leg and get as creative and athletic or simple as you wish - no other partner dance can be more challenging... :)

19. Natalka

Natalka Member

Totally! These are the best reasons!
    I always say that "When I get old, AT will be the dance I am dancing forever". Even after I cannot mambo anymore! Ha ha!
    It's the only dance you can really do with your eyes closed and enjoy it. It is so beautiful.

20. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Well, on the 1st of April I went to the 5th Salsa Congress here in Portugal. There was a workshop on AT and despite being a hardcore salsero, I decided to try it out.

When I arrived, the workshop was already half way through. I had never danced AT, so I assumed I would be completely lost. The workshop actually went rather well and I enjoyed it a lot.

My partner and I decided to enroll in a beginner AT class at my salsa studio. It had started 3 months previously but since we were salseros, they assumed we could pick up things quickly. Anyway, after two classes, I can honestly say that I´m hooked. Yesterday I bought my first Tango CD.

The mindset for AT is totally different than salsa... I like both.