Tango Argentino > Why Tango Argentino?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DancePoet, Nov 9, 2005.

1. jhpark

jhpark Member

Careful, if you're anything like me, AT will slowly but surely edge out your interest in other dances, until you rarely do salsa anymore.

Sometimes I miss swing, usually I don't... I do manage to danceit again every once in a while, but it's not an addiction for me like it used to be.

2. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Hmmm. I don´t think that will happen because the two dances are so different. When I feel I need some adrenalin, I´ll go to a salsa club. If I´m feeling more introspective or relaxed, I´ll go to a Tango venue.

For me, it´s two different mindsets.

It will be some time before I´ll go to a Tango venue. I feel I need to become more profficient before throwing myself into the AT "arena". ;-)

3. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Have you tried a Milonga yet, the dance not the gathering? It can be a bigger adrenalin rush than Salsa. With a 2/4 tempo and you'll travel the floor, in and out of different dancers.

4. jhpark

jhpark Member

I had the same attitude about swing and tango (Different dances, different moods/emotions) for about 5 months, and then tango just swept me away. I still like the idea in theory, but for the past few months, every time I've had the opportunity to go to a swing dance it's either, "I'm tired" or, if there's a milonga at the same time, "I'd rather be doing tango!"

Some of the milongas I go to have a couple swing songs thrown in, and if I can grab a good partner it's nice.

I'm more willing to put up with the annoyances of social dancing (I have a hard time dealing with people, so I can get anti-social.... On my better days I can overcome it) when it comes to tango than swing... I think that's a big part of it.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q New Member

I have been dancing salsa several years before I got hooked on tango. Of course, I still like to dance salsa and I'm going to salsa party or club regularly. However, if I have to choose one of salsa party or milonga, I always do milonga without hesitation.

It's hard to dance salsa more than two songs in a row with a same girl, but I can dance tango a coulple of hours with the same partners if it feels pretty good. In reality, I danced tango about two hours with a girl I met in milonga without changing partners. She also wanted to dance with me. Hiya...

6. ssjss

ssjss New Member

I love it when this happens, you don't even notice until everyone starts to leave. Then its OH did you want to dance with someone else?

7. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Uh? You danced Milonga around two hours with the same girl? That rarely happens in salsa clubs, unless it´s your girlfriend, and even then it´s rare. More than two songs with the same girl is not common.

I´ve never danced Milonga. I think I should try to more profficient at AT before I try Milonga.

This week I didn´t have class because of the holiday (Labour day). Got so dissapointed... I was looking forward to my 3rd AT class. Guess I´m going to have to wait for next week. :-(

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Milonga - May refer to the music, in 2/4 time, quicker and more upbeat than tango, or to the dance which preceded the tango, or to the dance salon where people go to dance tango, or to a tango dance and party.
    With several definitions for "milonga", it takes a while to get it straight.

9. ssjss

ssjss New Member

I was refering to a Tango party. Where you dance Tango, Vals and Milonga. I don't think I could go 2 hours of straight Milonga( The dance ) with out a Tango or a Vals.

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

It is very common at a milonga to dance several songs with the same partner. Sometimes not dancing an entire tanda, which would be 3 or 4 songs, with someone is seen as a sign that you are unhappy with the partnership. I've been on both sides of that one.
    It's hard to imagine someone playing 2 hours of milongas at a milonga!

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q New Member

I didn't say I had danced milonga around two hours. I said I had danced two hours at a milonga (AT social) with a same girl. There is no such milonga (AT social) playing milonga (a dance style) for two hours. I know dancing two hours with a same girl at a milonga (AT social) is very uncommon. Just once in my entire AT history. Hiya... :)

12. Adam1976

Adam1976 New Member

Maybe becouse Tango is to make the impossible things possible, to dance the silence.

13. The Tango Addict

The Tango Addict New Member

It started out as an innocent little tango workshop... I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It's been 6 months and the urge to buy another pair of tango shoes is still going stronge. I'd like to document this love affair, as I continue to uncover the mysteries of this addiction and to chart each delicious journey in hopes of finding the ultimate tango bliss.

14. The Tango Addict

The Tango Addict New Member

It took 3 minutes with my dance teacher then I was hooked....

besos,
    eva

15. Me

Me New Member

My first tango lesson was a group lesson, and I had no real conception of what Argentine Tango looked like. I walked away feeling as though all I had done was walk, but loved the music and felt like it was a dance I could learn. I don't remember precisely which dance lesson it was (maybe group class #3?) before I decided Argentine Tango was something I must learn how to do and, for the first time ever, felt strongly enough about dance to invest in private lessons. Up until then, I had thought private lessons were something you had to take multiples of or not at all, and only to prepare for high priced competition. This teacher completely transformed my ideas and opinions of dance as a whole. As my tango improved, I felt more encouraged to study ballroom, and felt for the first time that there was a place for me there, that there was a middle ground between low bronze and hard-core competition. So, tango (or rather, my instructor) opened up an entire world of dance to me that I had always felt as an insider peeking longingly into.

But, tango has always been first for me, and always will be. If given a choice, I would leave ballroom for tango. I have, really, left ballroom for over a year now. I haven't been able to study it consistently. But tango, I've been able to study consistently and I just love it. :) My parents love tango as well, so it is something we can share as a family.

16. Me

Me New Member

Oh, drooooooooool.

I love it! :eek:

17. bastet

bastet Active Member

I love the freedom of AT and the warmth of a good embrace. I also love that it is so adaptable to different musical forms by its very structure.

The first time we took AT we almost stopped. The instruction we have here is very limited and wasn't to our taste. If we hadn't accidentally gotten ahold of a pair of teachers at a workshop that we really liked, we probably would have stopped because people at the place where we initially took lessons kept dissing the other instructor in town, so we believed them. It was too frustrating. But, after we found out there really were people out there who could teach at least reasonably well, we kept at it. I'm very glad we did. We've had to struggle with so many things, but now we know what to look for when we choose teachers and workshops and hopefully we'll be better dancers becasue of all the extra effort. We are not blessed with a plethora of choices like someone might who lives somewhere like New York, Seattle or Portland but we get along, just a little more slowly.