General Dance Discussion > Why the hate for franchises?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Newdancer81, Sep 19, 2015.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

That would depend on whether the lessons are legally viewed as a commodity to be purchased (so it's like buying a box of Oreos and then trying to return them six months later because you decided not to eat them after all) or whether it's a contract for services provided (in which case you're asking for your money back because you contracted for a service and decided you didn't want it. It's more like paying a contractor to build you a new roof, it never gets done, they shouldn't keep your money when they didn't provide the service.)

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the reason it didn't get finished. Contracts are kinda pointless in a lot of states because there are regulations that refunds MUST be given if requested within one year of the purchase date. After that one year... buyers are legally out of luck.

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Even in a multi-year contract? Or are multi-year contracts even allowed by dance studios? A friend of mine takes lessons at a franchise and buys in bulk... nice to have that kind of budget... and I've warned him against that sort of thing.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Buying in bulk is great. Once you know it's the product you want. In franchises it's tricky coz the pro could change and that's no Bueno I used to buy 50 lessons at a time from my old pro

5. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

I personally won't buy more than 5 to 10 private lessons at a time. I'll negotiate the price of 10 (they usually give me 2 free lessons). They won't give me a discount for just 5. I just want to learn from my current instructor and no one else. If she leaves, then I don't get my full value.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Indy here shut down quite suddenly, I'm told. Bulk buyers got screwed.

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

I buy them from the pro not the studio. So unless the pro dies .....

8. Newdancer81

Can you actually do that if they work at a studio?

9. Mr 4 styles

If they are independent instructors not employees yes

stash likes this.
  10. Newdancer81

What about self employed instructors who work at a studio? Don't they have non-compete clauses?

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If they're self employed why would they preclude themselves from teaching anywhere else?

stash likes this.
  12. Newdancer81

Maybe I got it confused. We were doing a bit of chatting before our lesson a few months ago (tax season) and she said she was self employed. Maybe she was just talking about her performances and not the dance instructor part.

13. Mr 4 styles

All self employed teachers work at a studio. They just don't work for a studio

stash likes this.