General Dance Discussion > Why they can dance all time...?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancelike, Feb 11, 2013.

1. dancelike

dancelike New Member

I wonder if this question has ever been arisen in one's mind. Thinking about ballroom & latin dances such as: Tango Argentina, Salsa... I don't mention about a competition but a dancing party (social dancing). As I known, in my country, a dancing party usually last for 2 hours. For a ballroom party, they play 10 dances in sequence, as social dance, but other can do just one dance (maybe in different styles such as Tango-Valse...) in a Tango Milonga, Salsa congress, etc...

With my limited knowledge, I'm trying to explain as follow: with latin dance (Tango Argentina, Salsa...), though dancers have to accept some rules but it doesn't prevent them from creative power for new routines, action etc., providing that both partners feel comfortable, which seem to be suited for free instinct. One more reason that in the latin party you can find or change partner easier than in ballroom, though there're standard & latin in ballroom.

What's your opinion?

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

For either of the dances you mentioned several event-formats exist: afternoon and evening, closed door or public. I stick now to the events in the evening or night respectively.

In my hometown Hamburg there are tango, salsa, swing, and BR parties (not to mention various other styles). Usually parties start between 21 and 22h in the evening and last up to 03h in the morning. But in most cases the crowd shows up round 23h. This behavior can be found at extremes at BR parties: these teachers use to come and start social dancing when the beginners already have gone. Generally no official dress code for parties exist. Swing dancers sometimes wear vintage togs from the 40s.
    Besides parties we have got a format called ball. Balls are most abundant in the BR scene, but can also be found at some degree in the tango scene. Salsa festivals also have a ball very often. The location is much more expensive and the atmosphere tends to be more festive. Balls run up to 2h in the morning, but there also are exceptions. Guys are dressed in suits or tuxedo. That limits the dancing activities. And for the reason of our cold climate, aircondition is rarely found.
    So finally, I don´t think there actually are great differences in the dancing intensity among the scenes.

3. dancelike

dancelike New Member

Hi Opendoor & DF's members,

In my point of view, it's very interesting to learn about habits & customs, besides dancing like travelling around the world. By the way, I do apologize to the moderators and anyone annoyed with my first attitude. Well, Vietnamese has a proverb 'đánh nhau vỡ đầu mới nhận là anh em', smth like 'fighting before making friend' :)

In Vietnam, we also have several event-formats: morning, afternoon and evening. In evening, no event allowed to last overnight due to the security policy, except some bar/club in hotels for foreigners. There're two kinds of dancing club: specific (eg: dance-sport, salsa,...) and social dance club. In the social dance club, they play all things: ballroom, bachata, salsa, disco, free-style... whatever people like and permitted by the authority. In that clubs, fee included in drinks or not. People go there for dancing or relaxing by listening, watching... etc

When taking part in the event or party hold by the specific dancing club, I found dancers dancing in passion. In Tango Millonga, for example, they closed eyes, did not care about outside, just only music and couple as they danced for themselves. Despite changing partner, they could do that during the party. Of course, in ballroom, they also had feeling but could not keep dancing with only dance such as Waltz, Tango, Chacha... That's my question :)