General Dance Discussion > Why you dance bachata?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Clavenoob, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Clavenoob

Clavenoob New Member

Hello, I`m new on this forum. Also my English isn`t very good but I`ll give my best to express my mind. I`m making some kind of social research if you can call it like that. I need some opinions on bachata both from guys and girls. Why do you dance bachata? What is the reason? Why I`m asking this is because lots of people who I know says that bachata is all about squeeze (not sure if it`s the right word but I think you got me). At least for guys. Also there are lots of people who think that bachata is just the way how some guys can get in close contact with women that they couldn`t get close without bachata. So I was wondering how true is that? That`s why I decided to make this research. Also I made it to find out why people dance bachata in general. Is it true that for most guys bachata is just the way how they can get in close contact with girls? Also what about you girls? Why do YOU dance bachata? The only thing what I heard about sensual dances from girls is that they prefer things like bachata over salsa because it gives different kind of feeling. One girl told me: “Salsa for me is like a challenge while sensual dances allows me to close my eyes and feel totally relaxed”. So tell me your opinions about bachata and sensual dances in general. Why do you dance it? Thanks in advance.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Clavenoob, welcome to DF ! I (leader) dance bachata when the DJ puts bachata music on.
    I find that girls rather refuse an invitation when it is obvious that a guy relies on bachata music to get in close contact.
    That´s really a stupid question, Clavenoob. Dancing always follows the music. We dance what the DJ puts on, regardlessly whether it is bachata, bolero, merengue, tango, or cha cha chá. You can dance either of these dances sensually or fleshlessly. And as said above, bachata isn´t by far a means to get in close contact to a girl, it´s rather the other way round and frustrating for the majority of guys.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Clavenoob

Clavenoob New Member

Thanks for taking your time on welcoming me and answering my question. As for "stupid question"... Well it`s not my question, I actually hear it pretty often from dancing girls when they want to troll guys.

opendoor likes this.
  4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Welcome to the DF, clave. I believe what OD is saying is that what you have referred to in your post may be true of all dances/dancers. There are many reasons why persons like the dances that they do. Some reasons are formidable, while others might be less relevant to the dance. We simply hope that persons choose to prefer a particular dance because the music and rhythms move them --touch them, or mean something to them inside.

5. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

In my area Bachata is fairly popular -- and it's just another dance. It's more of a party dance and it's very fun. The way we do it the dance is no closer to ladies than any other dance, so "squeezing" as you call it is not a motivator.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Another problem is (in my salsa community anyway) that a number of salsa dancers, especially NY and LA stylist, somehow look down on bachateros. They regard bachata, merengue, and cumbia rather as folklore. I think this has changed since the dominicaniens heavyly promote their traditional style, which is danced ( in contrary to the US style ) rather in open hold and without squeezing.