General Dance Discussion > Widows and Widowers and the Ballroom Aftermath

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Generalist, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

During the winter season in the Phoenix Metro area I go to many ballrooms that are occupied by retired people. They are mostly from Northern climes who are escaping the cold winters. I enjoy it because they dress classy and have old style live bands to dance to. And of course the ladies like having a young gun like me to dance to (I'm 60). See Merrymakers.

There are lessons we can learn from dancing with these people (who are almost always over the age of 70).

Lesson 1: These people keep in shape both mentally and physically. They are proof that we can dance far into our elder years if we lead healthy life styles.

Lesson 2: By the time we get to be that old it's unlikely we will have a spouse. Lonliness is a big problem in retirement villages. Ballroom dancing is an ideal place to hook up or to socialize.

Lesson 3: Don't be shortsighted when you are young -- learn to social dance. I can't tell you how many times I hear this story from one of the women:

My husband and I danced for 30 years. It was wonderful and romantic, and we danced so good together. We even won competitions together. I danced even better with my pro who died 5 years before my husband died. I have been widowed for 10 years and didn't dance until this year. Unfortunateley I have discovered that most of the men here don't know how to dance. It sure is frustrating!

These widows are almost always grateful that I can lead them to a basic waltz or foxtrot, and that I have a sense of rhythm. They are correct that most of the men don't know how to dance, but paradoxically they never put two-and-two together in order understand that they don't know how to social dance either. Many of them obviously didn't do real competitions because so many don't have basics like a frame, and most of them are very hard pressed to execute anything more than about 3 or 4 basics.

So the lesson here is that we all get old, and when we do we would be so much better off if we didn't restrict our dancing to competitions or by getting complacent by dancing with a SO for 30 years.

Sadly most of these people never take lessons because they are so convinced that it's everybody else that can't dance. Lessons are given in their communities but very few attend. Or maybe it doesn't matter how well they dance because they sure have fun at what they are doing and getting good exercise doing it!

I still think they would have more fun if they would take dance lessons, and even better yet if they would have learned to social dance in their early years.

Larinda McRaven and Mr 4 styles like this.
  2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My brother lives there too, and I've noticed the same when I went to a social dance there...

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Maggie probably gave the poor old dudes a heart attack !!! :p:p:p:eek::eek:

stash likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

Well it was in Sun City... ;)

In all fairness, a lot of studios attract older clientele which are bored and or single. Large parts of Phoenix are retirement hot spots so it would make sense that it attracts that crowd. Much like a studio near the beach areas in Brooklyn attracting Russian dancers.

It's probably more due to the local area.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Where do you dance in Phoenix?

6. MaggieMoves

I went to a recreational center in Sun City without really knowing the demographics of the area that hosted a social dance. My brother lives in the northern part of Peoria, AZ and it was really close to his house. He and his wife are in bed by 8:30 anyway.

I have a 2 friends that instruct in the area and I stop in their studio when I'm in the area as well.

Any recommendations for when I'm back out there?

7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It's about a half hour from Sun City according to google maps, but I've heard good things about Artem and Inna's studio over in Scottsdale. Imperial Ballroom Dance Center. Do note that this is very much second-hand information. :)

3wishes, MaggieMoves and Mr 4 styles like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

I'll give ya first hand. Inna and artem are awesome. Take with Inna for your Latin and or artem for your standard. Decho and bree are in phoenix also as are Bob and Julia ,the Marantos and Radomir pashev.

9. MaggieMoves

I've bookmarked it on Google from the last time I was out there. What nights are their socials?

I'll be out there at least a weekend a month from about October to the indefinite future.

10. MaggieMoves

I'll only be there on weekends probably. Nit enough to infringe on my regular Latin coaching in NYC.

Standard might be an option though.

11. Mr 4 styles

Inna can jazz up your styling she is a lady beast

MaggieMoves likes this.
  12. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Thanks for confirming what I wrote. Dancers outside of this community would have a difficult time believing it.

13. MaggieMoves

Last time I was there I got "lectured" on how to properly do a Cha Cha by a man about 30+ years my senior who might have had a handful of private lessons... maybe.

I just stood there and let him move me around like a shopping cart. I'm awful at hiding my anger but thankfully he didn't notice.

When socials get like that, just do your best to work on connection or the basic movement. I really don't mind if I'm being led through the basic rumba movement or an open fan for 5 straight minutes... I get to work on my hip movement. I don't like being lectured though in a social by anyone.

stash and RiseNFall like this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not even Slavik?

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I personally like Fat Cat Studio as well, socials are Friday and Saturdays, well attended, thunderbird road, Phoenix AZ. Check their web site for more information.

cornutt likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Been to Fatcat many times, although I never get the chance on a weekend night. Pro tip: I learned the hard way that if you're coming from the north on 51, you can't exit at Thunderbird. You have to get off at Greenway and drive down 32nd Street to Thunderbird.