General Dance Discussion > Wii Fit

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Zhena, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I didn't want to start a new thread because I know this subject has come up before, but the search function thinks "Wii" is too short to search ....

I liked what I had heard about Wii Fit on DF, so we have been thinking about it for a while. We finally got it on Tuesday after a bit of shopping ... it's hard to find either the Wii console or the Wii Fit accessory in stock in our area ...

DH, daughter and I have become addicted to it. Yesterday (Saturday) we played most of the day. In fact, daughter and I were supposed to spend the day shopping for furniture for her (we owe her a birthday present), but after DH reminded us for about the tenth time that we should get out there and shop, daughter finally said, "forget about furniture -- I want Wii Fit for my birthday."

DH and daughter are showing their competitive sides. They keep trying to knock each other off the scoreboard in the balance and aerobics games. I am usually a distant third to them ... except in the yoga and strength categories that they don't do as much.

I didn't expect very much of a workout, especially because I thought I was in fairly good shape for my age. But my thighs are a little stiff this morning ... wow. Somebody put a lot of thought into measuring the effectiveness of various exercises. I am very impressed.

It seems more fun than most other exercise programs, especially because of the competitive aspects. This may keep us doing it more regularly. The only downside is the possibility that "weaker" competitors may be intimidated. In areas where DH and daughter are stronger, I'm mature enough to try to focus only on my own progress. Unfortunately, our son is the classic couch potato. I think he has done it only once. I suppose it's hard enough for him to have consistently lower scores than his father, but it must kinda hurt when his younger sister, and even his mother, are so far ahead. We're trying to think of ways to encourage him to "just do it".

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps some type of incentive for each time a family member betters their own past record?

(Although any type of offered incentive runs the risk of switching participation form intrinsically to extrinsically motivated for those who are already particpating. :?)

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

This is on my Christmas list :). You really like it, Zhena?

4. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Yes. We'll have to see if I feel the same after we've had it for a while, so ask again in a month or two.

I'd like to hear from people who have used it for more than 3 months or so. What do you think of it now?

5. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

what is the price for that.

probably i'll by it too.

i wanted to by that game "dancing with the stars" for play station - to see whose gonna win, me or Slavik.

but he didn't like it. :cool:

6. mamboqueen

I think it's around $90

7. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

that is ok price.

my BF want to buy PS3.

8. mamboqueen

lordy...they never grow up, do they??? *LOL*

I actually have a relative who works at Game Stop and can get a decent discount on things. She just got Aerosmith Guitar Hero for my son for $75. I don't want to take advantage too much, but I am going to drop a little hint about the Wii Fit next time I talk to her.

9. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

each time we are going to a mall, i know where to find him if we split. ;)

i don't even know how many games we have at home.

he also like that strategy games - one of them he is playing for 6 years now.:rolleyes:

10. mamboqueen

I know, but I don't go find ;)

Well, heck, if it keeps them out of your hair and they're happy, no harm. Personally, I prefer crosswords and soduku.

11. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

LOL.

Sometimes i want to practice some steps with him, and he said - "you see, i'm busy" and he plays games.

and i am freaking. :mad: and than i am a bi*** and bossy.

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. IME, no.

Brave woman. Personally, I go find. Immediately. If not sooner. I'm scared of what he'd come home with if I didn't.

13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

this one of mine reasons.

now he wants to buy a new printer, because this one is not fast enough. :mad:
    and we really don't need that.

14. Peaches

...and you "need" a new ___________ (fill in the blank)! Because your current ones aren't ___________ enough! :)

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Second blank can always be filled with the word shiney Least in my world. :)

16. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

is this ok.

17. Peaches

In mine, it's "sexy." (Which, really, is just funny if you know me.)

18. Peaches

Perfect.:cool:

19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

i knew it. :cool:

ok, i admit, i like to shop, a lot.

20. Peaches

For me, it's "I need a new pair of CiF's, because...um...I've got ONLY five pairs?"