General Dance Discussion > Wii Fit

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DL, Mar 30, 2009.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I recently had a chance to use a Wii Fit for a while. The software emphasizes posture, and measures balance/weight changes in a variety of exercises, "balance games," and evaluation tests. It actually seemed to me that there was good overlap with (and even formal measurement of) skills that would be useful in dancing. However I am expert neither in fitness nor in dance, so I'm curious whether anyone else has had a chance to take a look and has an opinion.

2. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

It's much, much too easy if you're a relatively experienced dancer - I score off the roof with the balance games - my top score is way over everyone elses'.

It's aimed at beginners to exercise, and is brilliant at that, but a dancer is better off signing up for ballet or yoga classes.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I agree.

Even with San Francisco-to-Sydney jet lag and Christmas Day drinking, I was able to do very well with a lot of the games on the Wii Fit -- playing against a 12-year-old!

Still, it's fun...but I woudln't run out and buy one if you were trying to improve your dancing. I guess it's better than nothing but it doesn't beat a private Pilates or gyrotonic session.

4. QPO

QPO New Member

Yes I have yet to see the benefits of it. Especially for us in a place with so much sunshine. We have family in Europe and yes they have many days where outdoor activities are not pleasant. So using something like that is more interactive family time :)

5. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

It's really a cute setup for people. I've been dancing for about 2 years and the balance exercises are good for me. It gave me a good idea of where I keep my balance. For example, the yoga tree exercise showed that the center of balance for my right foot is center-inner edge, really good for dancing. However, my left foot shows that I keep my balance on the outer edge.

There's also a hoo-la-hoop game that works great for practicing cuban motion. And, a step game that oddly enough is good for stepping, shifting weight, and settling. It was awesome.

6. QPO

QPO New Member

If someone gave me one I would try but I wont go out and buy one :) does sound interesting though