Swing Discussion Boards > wiki that needs input of swing dancers

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Aug 21, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

hi
    there is a pretty cool server out. http://poy.no It got 30 GB of swing clips. Since it is impossible to watch them all, and since not clips at all are good, there is a wiki. http://wiki.poy.no , in which you can list favorite dancers /clips. It'd be very cool, if some input of the swing dance community would help it to develop.
    Looking forward to some of your input.
    luh

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What's the goal of the wiki? To become a resource for people looking for swing dance clips? :? I couldn't really tell from the poy.no page what they're looking for. :?

3. luh

luh Active Member

it's so that you know which clips are good, which you might wanna download and take a look at. There are way too many clips to watch them all. Almost everyone enjoys watching dance clips of his/her style. So it's nice to have already a list with clips that are good. :D

luh

4. hepcat

hepcat Member

I just recently discovered poy.no. I didn't find it here. A friend of mine mentioned it. I haven't started downloading any clips yet, but I gave the site a glance. It's drool worthy. I'm looking forward to grabbing some great moves. This friend of mine had a few hilarious clips of a dance in Germany called Rock and Roll. I'd describe it as a cross between lindy hop and cheer leading. The aerials are fantastic, but the style seems comical. Apparently this buddy of mine and his partner studied the clips for hours (out of some comical fascination). They did somewhat of a spoof of it at one of the dances. It was hilarious! They're really good at mimicking others' style. It's uncanny how good they are at it. They can totally spoof everyone in our scene. It's fun to guess who they're trying to dance like and it's amazing how easy they make it. They notice such subtle little motions! When they do it, it's amazing and it's funny how it makes you realize the differences between different styles.

-Hepcat

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Acrobatic Rock and Roll... it is much more sport than dance with compulsary figures and the like, very much like a gymnastics or cheerleading competition. It isn't Lindy Hop that they are trying to do mixed with Aerials, it is closer to a very stylized version of Boogie Woogie.

It is, um interesting. Yes interesting is a good word.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi dnice. Long time no see. Nice to hear from you. (No pun intended.) :wink: :)

7. luh

luh Active Member

rockn roll (was) a very famous dance under the young people in europe. it was danced to rock, and evolved out of boogie woogie. It has a lot of acrobatics in it, and really few musicality. As with most of the dances evolved out of lindy hop - lindy hop rules way more.
    luh