General Dance Discussion > Wildest/Most Difficult/Spectacular Moves

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

What are some of the most spectacular, confounding and difficult moves you're ever seen executed or done yourself?

This one takes the cake for me:

:shock: :eek: :D

Pot Stir or Cork Screw (seen this done in Hustle, Salsa and C&W)

A particularly difficult move I'm guessing (but it looks soooo cool and even sexy!). My description may not be the greatest but here goes.

Starts off with the lady low to the floor kneeling, her left leg is extended to her left. Man is standing just behind her, his right hand holding her right. Man spins lady clockwise and she gradually returns to full standing postion while turning.

Hope that made some sense.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This sounds incredible, Phil. :D Anybody else?

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Obviously not to be used in a social setting!! :lol:

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I like windmill variations, I think they have a lot of flare

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Windmill variations? Arm stuff? Wraps? What are windmill variations? I'm totally without a clue. :lol:

6. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Back to the top (been diggin' through the archives).

Any more wild/spectacular/seemingly impossible moves you've witnessed?

One I've always loved could be called a Two Hand Continuous Turn or Touch and Go (seen it done in Salsa, Hustle and even Two-Step).

It took me ages to figure it out but I finally was able to get a clear description of it from a Salsa dancer on an old Yahoo board. I now do it fairly regularly.

On the "touch and go" the leader holds the girl's right hand with his right and the girls' left with his left. Right hands are placed over left hands.This is the initial position. After that, the leader turns the girl clockwise by lifting both hands. When girl has turned half way, the left hand is released to allow her to go all the way around. When girl has turned a full 360, the left hands touch momentarily as though to give her momentum for the next turn. Thus "touch and go". On the last turn the left hands reconnect at the end. Final position -> left hands over right hands.

Hopefully that made sense.

7. tj

tj New Member

Aw, c'mon, R - we both know some people we could "take out" with that move! Lol!

:wink:

I saw this one performance where the Lead tosses the Follow up in the air sorta like how cheerleaders get thrown. Dunno how appropriate it is, but it was certainly spectacular.

8. amrimi

amrimi New Member

If you have seen the movie "dance with me" there is this move in the second night club scene. The lead kind of drops Vanessa Williams backwards and catches her only shortly over the ground with one hand on the neck and then brings her up again with a turn. I hope I could descripe it a little bit. Anyway one time a guy did exactly this with me and I was very shocked for a moment.

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

A neck drop?

:!: :shock:
    You should have told him off! A neck drop can be dangerous -- you should never attempt it unless you know the partner and know she's been taught the move.
    Also see The Neck Drop thread.

10. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I don't know how you call that kind of move actually it was pretty fun. If you have seen the move you know what I mean.

The only problem that I personally have with anykinds of drops or dips is that the leads normally seem to underestimated my weight since I'm 5'10'', so sometimes they are not able to hold me wich is not much fun.

11. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Neck drops? Only with my partner and 2-3 other guys I trust! And only if the club is very very empty!!!

The thing is I got hit in the head numerous times, and my partner even got the boots of a girl falling right on his head while she was doing a back flip (the one taught by Josie Neglia) in the middle of a crowded dance floor!

So no dangerous moves for me in a social environment!

But I've seen many that impressed me in shows! WOW! :shock: :shock:

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

ehem.. once when i was executing a neck drop.. i went way low very fast and split the seat of me pants..

true story!

LOL!

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Photo: http://www.wildonsalsa.com/photo/tierra-colombiana/02.jpg
    Video: http://www.ttdomain.com/videoclip/neck_drop_bn.htm
    (very dark but you can just about see the move -- eventually)
    If you check clubmayan.com, there should be plenty of clips containing this move (I can't access them :().

In both dips and neck drops, the follower is supposed to support her own weight -- if she doesn't know how (or if the move is timed wrong), then the follower may end up flat on the floor or the leader may have to support her weight and end up injuring his back. Which is exactly why the leader shouldn't try these moves unless he knows the follower knows them.

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Similar story to Amrimi's:
    A guy flipped me at a party at the Geneva Congress. I'd never done a flip before so I landed looking like this :arrow: :shock:

Okay he was massive and I'm lightweight, and there was plenty of space around us, which was probably why he went for it, and I would say it was fun (as Amrimi says) in a way :roll:, but only because it went fine. I don't think it's something you should try on a follower you have danced with only twice before... :eyebrow:

15. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: There's another reason why neck drops are risky! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twilight Elena