Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Will Derek Hough retire after this season??

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lildancer, Jul 27, 2012.

1. lildancer

lildancer New Member

Nooooooooooooo!!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/derek-hough-to-retire-from-dancing-with-the-stars/1#.UBLL4LRulLs

2. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF lildancer!

3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hi, lildancer.

Well, let me say that Derek is one of the few pros who has been able to do justice (once in a while) to "ArgentIne Tango."

5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Booohoooo!

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, he seems to really want to be a celebrity/movie star more than a dancer, so he's probably gotten all the mileage he can out of DWTS without getting pigeonholed into it. He's got a movie coming out, so now's the time to really push that rather than risk being that dancer guy who did a movie.

7. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

Nobody on that show has done justice to Argentine Tango. As Len would say "Where are the elements?" I don't see sacadas, molinetes, barridas, nor dancing in close embrace. Even the music isn't traditional, e.g. Pugliese, DiSarli, Tanturi, Triolo, Laurenz.....

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

It not only tango that the music is not traditional. It's almost never traditional for any of the dances !

old dog likes this.
  9. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

GOD, I hope so! Only because he is my reason for living and I hate the storyboarding and manipulation.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Derek need to retire from the show

soo my wife can dance pro am with him!!!

11. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Your idea or hers??? :)

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I sometimes wonder how well he would have done if he would have kept competing. I bet very well.

Mr 4 styles and danceronice like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

hers but im good with it they would kick azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. Mr 4 styles

agree

15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I know DWTS has done a lot for the industry in terms of fostering interest in the larger population, but I definitely think we're poorer for some of the pros it's costs us. It's fun to imagine a world were Derek and Mark were perennial open pro finalists and Val had recently won a national RS title, etc.

16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Apart from the obvious losses from the pro-competition world, my coach is always talking about how once upon a time Louis VanAmstel was one of the best Latin dancers he's ever seen...

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I saw a video of him and Olga K. dancing at Ohio back in the day. I mean this as nothing vaguely resembling disrespect to her, but I couldn't take my eyes off him. He was freaky good.

slhull.13 likes this.
  18. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

His spins are unreal...and he can cram more patterns into a 90-second routine than anyone else I've seen...

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I think at one point Louis was quite a big deal and his choreography was considered very innovative. He produced a show called Latin Fusion and they did two nights at City Center in NYC back when he was living in NYC and dancing with Joanna. I think the show toured Europe as well. I enjoyed the show quite a bit and still like his choreography. He picks interesting songs and his choreography is unique.