Salsa > Will it help me to know other dances before learning Salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Mar 12, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

From Dancefreak.com

Knowing how to hip hop, tap, ballet, jazz, flamenco, or any other type of solo dance will obviously help you in understanding rhythm. However in the beginning it will actually hurt you while learning partner dancing, because you’ll want to fall into old habits of doing everything on your own without having to worry about anyone else’s balance or control. Females will have a problem with trying to submit to their partner’s lead, and leaders will feel constrained and frustrated while mastering the basics. Most of them “cheat” thru the basics because of impatience.

Any thoughts?

2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I can't say. I danced with my Dad from the time I was knee high so "being submissive" was already in me :wink: :lol:

I do recognise the wanting to "cheat" through the basics but I stuck with it just in case I learnt something new. One salsa class I went to, the teacher spent like 30 mins though having the class just getting onto the ball of their foot, as "preparation for spinning" and needless to say, I never went back :(