Salsa > Will my dancing go down hill from now on?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: Usually, when ever I hear a piece of music, salsa steps come to mind (within reason of course! I won't dream of doing salsa to Strauss or Rachmaninov :lol: )

HOWEVER :!: This morning, I had a "strange experience" :lol: I was listening to a song by La India, from her Latin Song Bird CD. There is a song that changes tempo a couple of times or so, and in my mind's eye, I was visualising TANGO steps to the slower tempo parts :shock: :doh:

On closer listening and inspection of the CD sleeve, it said that the song was a merengue :lol: :lol:

Having seen the Tango por Dos show recently, is it possible that "I have been corrupted" :lol: That my ability to dance salsa will be on a downward slope if, instead of thinking of movements I can do to a salsa song, I will be thinking of TANGO ones instead? Has this every happened to you?

(PS. I have not danced tango/done any tango classes for about 12 years and what I did/could do, could fit on the back of an envelope :D

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

The mind plays funny tricks sometimes, or the music does. This past Tuesday a song came on that sounded like a cha cha, then a salsa, and then turned into a merengue. I was the only couple on the dance floor, so must have lookd a sight! :oops: It happens

Strange thoughts come into my head at times. I'm saying this having done swing to merengue music, salsa to almost any 4/4 music, merengue to club music, NC2S to salsa music... I don't think I've gone downhill. :wink: :) Why should you?

3. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh yes. :lol:

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: GR. Sagitta, sounds like you had a three in one dance :lol:

It did make me laugh though as I don't know that much tango so if I am going to be "seeing" tango instead of salsa steps, I think my dancing is going to be a bit limited, until such time as I start taking tango classes :wink:

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

You'll be fine, there is no known cure for a salsaholic!! :lol:

6. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i did hustle, WCS & cha cha in the same song last night. fortunately she enjoyed (or at least graciously claimed to have enjoyed) the experience!

and in response to your topic question: only if your dancing is all a big bluff!

7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

ehmm! Hope you are not suggestiong that I am faking it :wink:

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

no. of course you'd also go downhill if you start by looking down on everyone!

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: I heard this recently, which I have to say applies to me :lol: "I am not young enough to know everything" :D

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

that brings to mind a quote of mark twain who as a young man, moved out of the house to live on his own, and after a year was surprised by how smart his father had become.

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Pacion, my dear friend. I welcome you to the next step in the ever present evolution of salsa. You aren't hindered, or stalling, you are indeed growing.

Salsa is speaking to you, you are at a point where you have stopped thinking and now the music is telling you what fits best with it according to your experiences in life, now and past.

You have nothing to worry about, it is normal. Your soul is peaking with Salsa's soul and it is telling your mind what will make you feel the best and what it feels that best will suit the needs of the song at that particular time. You have nothing but good times to look forward to. I am so happy for you. Don't stop what you feel, just go ahead and do it. Remember, this is salsa, and within salsa, the only limits is those that you place, when you said, NO Not tango, this is salsa. Well, my friend, the song has just told you do something and your soul said, TANGO would best suit me and this music right now. Do it, don't stop it, just go ahead and dare to let the speach of the soul out of your body onto a Tango if that is what you feel fits best!

I am so happy for you. :cheers:

Remember, salsa is only limted by limits of the mind and the rules that someone has told you, you should follow. Those rules are their rules for salsa, not salsa's rules for you! You do what the soul says, for it is the music speaking to it and not the mind! Enjoy the next step of Salsa.

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Thanks Boriken. But I don't know that much tango though :oops: But, I hear/understand what you are saying :D

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

The steps you know have nothing to do with the feeling of doing what you know. It isn't getting the steps perfect, it is about the release of that energy that your body is asking you to do. Kind of like, you might not know how to write a poem like a world class poet, but you sure as heck can write something that is just as good, because you wrote it. You did, and that is all that salsa wants, for you to be you on the dance floor, from what you know, or little you know. It is about been free, not being afraid that you don't know a whole lot of it. Be free, be you, dare to do the little bit that to salsa will be more than enough, because it is Pacion being Pacion, not the technical know how taught to her...

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Thanks Boriken. :D

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

My pleasure Pacion, My Pleasure! :D :D

16. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:lol: yes :tongue:

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:headwall: Care to elaborate, Saborito :wink: :lol:

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

umm nope

:lol:

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

This is no longer me => :ladiesma: <=nor me

:tongue:

Glad to see I rendered you speechless for a change :lol:

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

what! me speechless!? never!.. i just opt not to 'elaborate' for the sake of peaking your subdued curiosity :wink: