General Dance Discussion > Wireless (PDA) Scoring For Judges/Events

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Vince A, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I put this same post out to the moderators, but didn't get feedback:

Jonathan, Et, Chris and Others:

There was a brief discussion on utilizing wireless PDA's for the judges . . . in an attempt to improve the scoring process.

I am presently trying to convince a certain dance federation to go this route for scoring.

A few of you discussed this at length, and I was wondering if you can provide me with information that you have access to regarding this subject??? I'm not selling anything to them, just a provider of info, as they are now discussing this scoring process. I want to supply them with more ammo . . .

Details?
    Who? Names of individuals or venues???
    Tidbits?
    Examples?
    How to use?
    Anything?

Thanks,
    Vince

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The one time I saw this used was at the German Open Championships (the largest ballroom comp in the world as far as absolute numbers of dancers) in 2002. They may very well still do so, but that was the only year I was there to see it myself.

I recall that the judges marked directly to some type of data pad (no idea what type they were), and that for open marking the results of one couple at a time would be displayed, on several large projection screens around the floor, going across, under a flag icon representing each judge's nationality. Each couple's marks would be added, one couple at a time, as they were called to the floor.

Sort of like this...

(1st couple called)
    #236: 2 3 1 3 3 2 1

(2nd couple called)
    #154: 3 2 2 1 1 3 2

(3rd couple called)
    #321: 5 6 4 4 4 5 5

(4th couple called)
    #321: 5 6 4 4 4 5 5
    #276: 1 1 3 2 2 1 3

etc....

Clearly the marks were being directly enetered into the scoring database/program as these displays, in the open marking events, were put up between dances, literally within seconds.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks SD . . . I will, no doubt, use some of your remarks . . .

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Also keep in mind the time saved in getting the marks submitted as no runner was needed nor was manual entry of the judges' marks by a scrutineer. A related advantage is, of course, that there is no room for entry error on the part of a scrutineer.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks. I copied and forwarded both your comments.