Salsa > Woman or Man forward on the 1?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by borikensalsero, Jun 21, 2004.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

On friday night I was having this intersting discussion with a lady who gave me a million and one reasons as to why a woman must go foward on the 1 as opposed to the man.

She went on to even explain that the most dynamic (she forgot to mention not necessarily) part of the song is the 1,2,3, therefore it is the time a woman has to be "showed off" as it goes best with the music. This goes against all possible logic that there is, to me, but to her it made perfect sense.

Of course all I could think was the she had a predetermined idea of dancing, hence her reaction. To me there isn't a difference, it is all the same, but if I was to go for one, the most obvious would be the man stepping forward on the 1 as opposed to the woman.

But speaking of reasons, what could some of the reasons be that a man ought to go forward, or a woman on the 1 or 2.

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

the man is leading... he should show his partner when to start... therefore, he should start on 1... my opinion... :)

3. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

On 1: Man forward, woman back.

4. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Please, please, boriken, change your avatar! You're scaring the children.[/code]

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well as a small aside doesn't the woman step forward on 1 for ET on2? I guess the reasons why a woman should step forward on 1 would be the same as for dancing this style vis' breaking on1 style where the man steps forward on 1. Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with the on 1 and on 3 styles so cannot really comment much. :oops:

However, by stepping forward one is making "an advance". Since it is the role of the man/leader to ask, to step forth onto the plate, I would say that it is logical for the leader to step forward on the 1, or even more generally to make his/her first step a step forward, whether it be power on2, on1, on3....

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yeap, I agree with all your comments, that is the "logical" explanation I was commenting to her. I just don't see a "cultural" reason as to why the stronger beats, and start of a song should have the woman go first.

I see strong beats = lead/man softer beats the grace and sensuality of woman in and follow.

The start for a man to approach a woman and the woman to react to it.

Its wierd, I don't care but based on what she told me, i just don't see any good reasoning that a woman, because of how much she has to dance, should use the 1,2,3 for power moves, and reverse the role of the leader. To me, if I want to play the sensual game, I'm going to do my thing first, then have the lady react... Dance, because of that social norm interaction, should and would make sense to follow that.

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Imma try to find a hot one. :D

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Oh BABY . . . what are the pigtails for????

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I go nuts when I dance, so I present them as objects for the ladies to keep me from wondering aim-lessly around the dance floor.

10. DiAnAoN1

DiAnAoN1 New Member

When I dance On1 I always break back but when I dance On2 I always step in place on 1 then break forward on 2. But I dont really think it matters who breaks forward first as long as it's done on time. Also an instructor once told me that the 1,2,3 belong to the man and the 5,6,7 belong to the woman and thats the time where she should be "shown off" by her partner or she should show herself off (doing hiprolls, styling, etc).

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That has to be the MUTHA of all avatars!

12. tj

tj New Member

How fascinating! I've heard the reverse, where that the follow has time to do her own styling, etc, on the 1,2,3, and it's the 5-6-7 where she has to be ready for the lead to spin her, etc.

This is what makes salsa fun, IMHO. The freedom to do it differently.

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Just lead and I shall do my best to follow 8) !

14. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Salsachinita... I agree 100%!!!

15. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Oh no, we are not starting a on5 trend here are we?

16. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hmm.. to avoid this problem.. kiss the salsera on the 1.. which ever direction she takes it.. after that, she will go along with u just fine.. whichever direction u take it :mrgreen:

17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Sabor... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

and how do the salseras react to kissing...? :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

ahem.. kissing on the cheak that is! :lol:

usually like so.... :oops:

and sometimes like so.... :kissme:

and other times like so.... :shock: :nope:

:lol:

19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Sabor... don't they ever slap you...? :twisted: :twisted:

Come on, behave! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R

PS do the lime-green socksies have anything to do with your behaviour...? :wink:

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

How can they if he is holding both hands? Or quickly moves away after a sneak kiss atack?