Tango Argentino > Woman's steps

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Ah I didn't see your post.

Hmm. I agree with you though. :) I was talking specifically about how that one combination is possible, is there something about the way I described it that you don't agree with?

Edit: oops, I see what you mean. You really did cover everything in your first post. :) I was replying to the later comments.

I'd just like to add, besides the pivot on the left foot to go into ccw side back, you can also sharply turn your torso, if you want to do something else with your foot. That's all.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I was just trying to get things back to where you were yesterday.

:friend:

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Ok... we're friends again...:kissme:
    :bouncy:

4. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I am now mining this gem of a post before beginning my own weekend of video reviewing. The above two paragraphs already answers one of my main questions: IE: I've observed my favorite dancers beginning the womans giro by sacadoing her sidestep. This is naturally followed by a back cross.
    I've also observed that they seem to know exactly when the front cross is about to land and they get ready to lead the woman in a reverse direction by adding a front cross going the other way to the first one. So, Yes there is a pattern there and it does take advantage of the natural opportunities that each distinct step provides....Mil gracias!!!:!:

5. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Absolutely, beautifull!! It feels soooooo good to get the answer to a burning question mark...thanks again!!:p

6. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

It helps that I was just explaining EXACTLY this principle in real life (and demonstrating it) to another leader a shortly before I read your post.

Glad I helped :D

7. Mario7

Mario7 Member

This is the video with which I'm trying to ascertain the principals of the molinete/giro.
    It's far from a simple dance (very far) but as these are my favorite dancers, (whose
    style I would love to capture a small piece of), I thought I may as well go for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdbpjesqFpI
    So far, on my first review; Zoop's pointers are holding up well. Most giros are really starting on the sidestep, even when they have a couple front ochos preceeding. The sequence; Side, back, side, front and then a reverse with another front is a repeated and beautiful figure. I will study it more, if you see something interesting, please post.

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry Mario, I´m a beginner, I´m dancing for 5 years (3 as an autodidact, and since 2008 with a teacher), but I think this is really no good example! Perhaps some dancers will not become even a beginner.

end

9. dchester

I like the video, but more for what he is doing with the front ochos. Most of his turns do seem to start (and end) with the front ochos.

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

and he puts in some nice close embrace sacadas; small with tight turns; nicely executed, but I find his posture a little too bent, but only on aesthetic grounds.

11. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Here is my other favorite bent-over dancer doing a Vals. Both of these guys make splendid spectacles with their giros; smooth, flowing, beautiful. I figure that each with over 40 yrs of milongeando experience, have honed their dance down to the most efficient and only what is necessary. Any insights into Alberto's giro's will be gratefully appreciated!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwlHIAfO544

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

re: critique

sorry I was arrogant. But, because of my knee, I could not dance for almost one month, now - Hard for someone who´s crazy bout tango.

:notworth:

13. dchester

They are going to be teaching at the Chicago Mini Tango Festival in April (along with some other fine teachers).
    http://www.chicagotangofestival.com/

I'm trying to talk the wife into making the trek.

:car:

14. bafonso

bafonso New Member

She's not keeping up very well. Alberto's dance is great, very clear, always trying to stay with her, but at the same time playing a lot with dynamics and let usual patterns, hence her difficulty.

What is it really that you don't get about a molinete or turn? side, back, side, front... you can start wherever you want, you can lead then differently too.

He's kind of stepping after her, which is cool and gives you a different feeling than pivoting in place in his axis.

The lady is the one that makes the turns look nice from the outsider perspective. This assuming the man is clear about his lead.

For me, the coolest thing about the video is actually the dynamics of his walk.

15. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Thank you for the very edifying comments. A pleasure to read!