General Dance Discussion > Women Who Are Averse to Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, May 9, 2011.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is the most ridiculous assumption I have ever heard.

2. Larinda McRaven

and while I understand this comment I actually don't agree. I can look at a guy and see lots of sexual potential and have absolutely no desire to dance with him at all. My boyfriend for example....

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

still, would you say that you would be adverse to dancing with him?

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

But you're a pro, Larinda. I too avoid my occupational duties as much as possible when romance is involved. :p

5. Larinda McRaven

I told him point blank when we met... he was welcome to take lessons, but not be with me. And that I wanted nothing to do with his decision to learn to dance or not. If it was ever somethng HE wanted to do for him, fine. But I do not look at him and feel the need to dance. Pretty much he represents "my world outside of dancing", and yes, I prefer to keep it that way.

If I can save him (and my life with him) from the insanity of the the ballroom world... so much the better.

6. fascination

no no no...what I mean is...in your living room, when no one is watching, would you be adverse to dancing with him, HIS way?(if he indeed had the guts which I suspect he does if he wanted to)... I suspect you wouldn't, at the very least, be adverse :)

7. fascination

i'm just saying...forgetting who you are and what you do...he isn't likely to be someone, in isolation, whom you would turn down

8. Larinda McRaven

Actually yes I would. But that may be because I am "ruined" when it comes to the laymans clutch and sway. It is rather clumsy and uncomfortable to me. And I think he would never really be able to just dance with me anyway, because he will always, in the back of his mind, be trying to "Dance" with me.

So, I stand by my original post. I have no desire to dance with him.

9. fascination

okay... :)...certainly understand why your circumstances would leave things that way....

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm going to feel a whole new kind of rejection from now on, whenever a lady agrees to dance with me.

11. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Larinda, is this because what the professional dancer or competitive dancer feels toward his or her dance partners or dancers in general, different than what a beginning dancer feels toward his or her dance partners? For example in general I feel differently as a beginner when dancing with one of my group class dancers or at parties when dancing with my group class partners than when I dance with one of the instructors. When I dance with one of my group class partners-even though they may be clumsy, I can feel certain emotions and feelings which sometimes bring me some pleasure. Many times when I dance with an instructor, they are highly skilled technically, but I feel like I am dancing with a highly trained robot. I don't feel the pleasure that I feel when dancing with a regular dancer. This is in general-there are exceptions. Does that make sense?

12. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Your boyfriend is very smart, and very lucky. He gets to have a ballroom dancer for a girlfriend, and yet he doesn't have to dance.

Question: If you ever decide to dump him can I be on your waiting list? :-D

13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Soon it will feel the opposite - that the untrained students are mechanical and robotic, while the trained dancers are alive and interactive.

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Seriously. I had a certain degree of fun at the charity ball at the World Steam Expo last weekend, but doing nineteenth-century-style Waltz with people with no frame and no ability to stay aligned got miserable really fast. (Physically uncomfortable, too, though that might have been the shoes.)

15. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

The men have much more control over the pacing. They can generally sit out without having to turn people down, and when they do dance, they can dance sedately if they are winded.

16. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Good point. As a follower I can't control the pacing. Of course I can sit out as well, or my other choice is that when I feel tired, I can ask for a dance from a "sedate" leader who I know won't whip me through a lot of fast moves. Still, we're talking about ladies who don't have enough experience to know that.

17. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

...and the difference between 'sedate' dancing and an untrained beginner moving slowly is...?

Seeing beginners doing Viennese Waltz should be enough for other beginners to realize that frame, alignment, and accuracy are what makes it work, but beginners see only a need for speed, physicality (to 'get her around') and a clear path in front.

I contend that it is far more tiring to dance with a beginner who confuses 'steps' with dance.

18. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Well, by "sedate" I didn't mean necessarily an untrained beginner. I was referring more to older guys who dance decently, but they prefer slower moves. Obviously the difference is that the skilled but sedate guy is leading smoothly, staying on beat, is pleasant to dance with, etc. So of course that would not be very tiring, compared to an untrained person who is flailing wildly.