Salsa > Women who move their hands too much question

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by dcnewbee, Sep 23, 2005.

1. africana

africana New Member

well since we cannot ask salsa-specific questions anymore without getting non-salsa-pertinent answers maybe a salsa-only forum would work for these kinds of questions. There might be similar terminology and concepts for all the dances, but the concept and application can certainly be extremely divergent.
    The timing of the dance, the music, the basic steps change a lot of things that might otherwise carryover from other dances

Another tough issue I've been thinking about is the fact that not many qualified salsa teachers post (or are able to post) online, forcing most of us to do a bit more digging through information that may or may not work in practice, or are just plain inapplicable. There's also the issue that various schools have differing methods and even different names for the same concepts, even within the same city :shock:

So I have made my conclusion that it's impossible to collect an absolute set of "rules" or technique, and that the best way to study as many top salsa dancers as possible, watch, listen, do. There's an infinite lot to learn, and what works for one dancer doesn't work for another, also certain styles and technique morph over time due to personal or popular preferences

Anyway back to topic, I think the boriken/Alias solution to be extra light might work on some ladies, but I also like the tactic of moving a lot as someone suggested to give them a taste of their own medicine :twisted:

2. macha

macha New Member

LOL, Ok. I should have waited 'til January :lol:

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

just gotta say the title of this thread makes me smile 8)

4. azzey

azzey Member

Funny, when I was a beginner long ago I copied these ladies with the helicopter arms thinking it was 'styling' but soon realised how to lead properly..

Used both of the above suggestions. Also you might try just holding your palms out steady underneath her moving arms, now she has two choices 1) to stop her arms and put her hands in your palms or 2) to grab your hands and start moving them with hers.

I've had the second happen to me by a columbian woman and I kinda just went along with it (as it tends to be part of their style in South America) not wishing to be rude as she was otherwise an ok and fun dancer.

You could also try leading her arms forward and backward when you do the basic mambo step, however this is fraught with problems also as it's not proper leading teachnique either.

Once you get to an intermediate level in your leading technique you might try applying a continuous light pulling tension when in open hand hold and this generally gets beginner/improvers to stop pushing and pulling (yanking) your arms when you lead/follow.

5. africana

africana New Member

you know men do this too, as I realized lastnight. it's doubly annoying when they are offbeat and the hand motion doesn't match the body movement, and they are forcing you to follow it by holding and swinging your hands. Even when on beat I still don't like the swinging arms actually, because in hand hold I need to be able to 'listen' for the lead and still be able to dance/style independently, so the swing is distracting

oh yes, a pet peeve: men who swing your arms or grab by the hips to move back and forth, or from side to side, to physically move the follow through her basic steps :evil: I can move quite well on my own thank you

:lol: wrong thread?

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

if she moves her arms too much .. i ask if she is into directing traffic or lives somewhere with too many flying insects..

7. saludas

saludas New Member

LOL yes - hopefully she won't reply that 'that's the way they do it in Cuba' becuase then you'll have to ask her if she used to direct traffic or was in pest control in Cuba...

8. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

I'm enjoying this thread.

As I'm no expert, I'm not going to hop up on a podium and start shouting what I think is right. I will briefly share my experience.

Firstly, I was taught that hand / arm movement when doing your basic comes from your body naturally counterbalancing the movements you're making with your steps. Much as your arms will swing slightly when walking in an easy manner. The motion is very small and relaxed.

Secondly, I thought I had the basic step down. Then, a month or so ago I suddenly realised it had become more relaxed and natural. Lots of moves just started feeling easier and move comfortable. I fully expect that in time I will look back at the way I do it now and think how much better I am. Cut people some slack and let them improve at their own pace!

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'm sure I was thrashing around and bouncing and doing other things to irritate the better dancers who tolerated me when I was first learning, and I am sure glad they had the decency to not be swatting at me, making fun of me or trying to restrain me if or when I was getting out of hand. I certainly don't belittle beginning dancers now or ever, as I was once one myself

10. macha

macha New Member

What was that one rule about social dance etiquette, not to "teach on the floor"? :?

Well, fortunately, we dorky types can spot the know-it-alls pretty easily, and cance with the nicer gents instead. (Poor guys! :shock: )