Salsa > Women with "deathgrips" and/or "arms of steal

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Marvellous, Dec 6, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

It sounds most reasonable Marvellous. It is basically saying that you welcome feedback from all those qualified to give it, nothing more. Or, alternatively worded, it makes sense to get feedback on your part in relative proportion to how much someone else is doing their part.

As far as the women now seeking your approval in class, definitely take it as the implicit compliment it is.

2. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

This topic is super relevant to my experience this past weekend. I have been fortunate enough to host a great salsa instructor (gotta be one of the BEST leads I've experienced :D !) from interstate & spent some time getting some private lessons.

I am definetely guilty of not being relaxed enough in the arms :oops: due to past patnerships/conditionings. Up until recently I had been a firm believer in delivering equal pressure in the arms. This theory still has its place, but I now believe there is a fine line between too much and just right.

One of the biggest points I picked up over this weekend was the isolation of arm/finger muscles (still working on it!). The fingers have to be strong & firm, in cupped (not "grip") position (so the lead can be applied effectively) yet the arms have to be 'almost' completely relaxed (except for certain moves) in order to be lead into various positions (generally related to Rueda here).

I find it hard to get the balance just right. If I 'consciously relax', my fingers get too loose. If I strengthen my fingers, the tension builds up in the arms :roll: ! NEED_WORK

Old habits die hard. Having been around for so long also works against me in a sense that hardly anyone would give me any feedbacks :( !

*Mental Note to Self: gotta travel again! Get feedback from ppl who don't know me from a bar of soap :roll: *

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Come visit me! :D :D I have a guest room with your login name on it! :lol: :D

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Love ya' :D , Jenn! You have NOOO idea how much I want to visit the States again......! I am hoping (as SD is) to see if anyone would like to hire me as a Patchwork Quilt teacher (as so many of them from US also come here to do workshops!) :wink:

5. Marvellous

Marvellous New Member

Since you like travel, you can come and dance with me anytime in Tokyo, OR if you like Hawaii, I will be there for a week in January for "Salsa in Paradise." :wink:

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Love to....! :p But first I need to find a way to breed my piggy banks :roll: :wink:

7. SDsalsaguy

If you figure that one out do please share!!! :notworth:

8. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

8) you have my words..... 8)

9. Marvellous

Marvellous New Member

Have you ever watched "South Park?" The boys managed to get an elephant to breed with a pig, so......maybe something could be done with piggy banks. :)

10. SDsalsaguy

Wow . . . then we might not just have more piggy banks but more bigger ones! Yay! Someone get on this right away please!

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hmmm.. I'm late again...

Well, here is my two cents on this whole deal of arms of steel and death grips... Needless to say that the death grips and arms of steel in trained dancers I've seen in NY are mainly from those who have a dance background mainly in hiphop or modern dance. I guess they are used to strong sudden movements so they unbeknown to their conscious apply the same rules to salsa. It’s like a native Spanish speaker applying the rules of spoken Spanish to English speaking. He doesn't know it but he is doing it.

What I like to do is basically have a "foreplay" session. By the time we are done she is hopefully so consumed by the session that she is willing to be taken over. Her guard is down, so her grip and hands flee their tension.

By "foreplay" I mean, I wait for a slower song, Don't dance a fast song with death grip/steel armed person, you'll be sorry at the end. Then it’s my time to sooth her mind. I dance around her, pick her up gently and walk her around if there is room. I use deep penetrating eyes to tell her I want you, allow yourself to be taken and allow that person to be me. The only snap that I will give is the one used by my head coming around a spin, in hopes to let her know I’m eager to see her again, and will never loose her sight. Hopefully soon she will unconsciously react to my lead and half way through the dance she has noticed how our styles need to become one. When I pick her up again and do a couple of smooth as heck patterns her eyes are so little, her smile so big that there is no tension between my our arms and hands. She will allow me to come in out of her grip without a slight sense of tension. And so on, crapola, it takes a great deal of energy and willingness to do this. I only do it when I’m really in the mood, the song is right, my soul willing to endure the pain of not dancing right of the bat like it wants to, and the girl someone I care to show the other side of dancing.

I must say that when a person has been dancing a certain way for years it takes a very long time to break the bad habit. Even if I have been successful to smooth the girl down for a minute or so of the dance it doesn’t mean that she won’t, through the other half of the dance, gone back to her old ways. However, the seed has been planted. She has hopefully felt something different and will consciously seek it in her next dance.

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sounds so goood I almost want to be a follower, and your follower, though I am usually the leader!!! :)

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Would we be thought of as tangoish or gayish? I'll take a shot at leading you. I can't follow though, just in case the natural leader in you takes over... :D

14. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:p Oooooohhh...........could I have that dance now pleassssse..........?! :wink:

*why do I have to live soooooo far away from NY....? :roll: *

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

By the looks of it, it seems that perhaps I'm the one who shouldn't be in NY City... I feel like the soar thumb when I go out dancing here.

16. Sarah

Sarah New Member

It's summer in the southern hemisphere.:D ;) :D
    <Hint Hint>

Cheers
    Sarah

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Imma just gonna have to head down south... :D Perhaps I can come up with a business plan to present at work where they can send me around the world to dance. Hmmm, being a computer programmer might make it a lill difficult, but nothing is impossible. :D :D Now, I need an agle :mrgreen:

18. SDsalsaguy

How's 90 degrees? :wink: :lol:

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'll use 90... hopefully they won't ask for 180...

20. SDsalsaguy

Don't sweat it if they do . . . you can just double up on your 90!

P.S. Any chance you'll be taking a really large steamer trunk with you and I can hitch a ride in it? :wink: