Salsa > Women with "deathgrips" and/or "arms of steal

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Marvellous, Dec 6, 2003.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Heck yeah, I'll include it in my business plan with two 90 degree angles, so you can come along.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sweet! :D

... get ready down there, boriken and I may be on our way soon! :wink:

3. d nice

d nice New Member

Actually tense arms increases the risk of rottator cuff injuries. A stiff arm creates a perfect lever out of the arm, and the fulcrum is the shoulder joint.

If a follower wants to protect herself from a rough lead she needs to dance more in the right manner, not more in the wrong manner. Relax the arm as much possible and tighten the pectoral and latisimus muscles. These muscles are were your frame is derived from, the torso muscles that control your shoulder and limit extension, angle, and rotation transfering energy directly to your body rather thabn confining it to your arm.

It is a common mistake on the part of followers to tense the arm, but it makes her harder to lead, bad leaders are actually more likely to increase the amount of force in their leads. Exactly what the follower doesn't want him to do.

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Cool 8) ! I'd LOOOVVVE to have both of you down here as my personal guests...! I am a great hostess, you know?

Salsa tour downunder coming up.....! (anyone else in the DF family interested :wink: ?)

*make sure you come to Melbourne.....*

5. salsa es mi vida

salsa es mi vida New Member

I agree with Borikensalsero,i am one of those,but i would say that the strenght is not matched.Why i do it i don't know,all i can say is as if i get a hint from a leader i am about to hurt you,i am not sure of the move that i am doing(the leader,i just follow) or try to :(

6. salsa es mi vida

salsa es mi vida New Member

You Borikensalsero would be defently the one that i seek on the dance floor :).Just hope you would not get tired of me :(

7. englezul

englezul New Member

If you want to work your biceps try dancing in Montreal... It's a matter of both instruction and personal standards. When I have a partner like this I demote them to a beginner. I'll do simple turns and cross body leads the whole song. I remember one time it took a lot of effort to get to dance with this woman who was seemingly an extraordinary dancer. I literally had to wait a couple of songs and move around strategically to make sure I get to her before someone else. Then I had the work out of my life trying to lead her. When the song ended I was panting. Thanks but no thanks.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Death Grips, Noodle Arms, Wrestling, Constsnt Complaining, Elobows-to-the-Nose and other dancing maladies have one simple solution:
    Don't ask that one again.
    Unless she's really gorgeous, which they usually aren't.