Tango Argentino > Women's Shoes for Beginner Dancer

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by vikinyc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. vikinyc

vikinyc New Member

Need suggestions?

thanks,
    vikinyc

2. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Look for something with a closed toe. Trust me with this, you need to protect them. The little pigs will get scuffed allot while dancing AT.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Something comfortable, with a low-ish heel. Kind of depends on if she has other, previous dance experience.

Closed toe is good if you want to protect your feet, which could be important if she'll be dancing with a complete beginner partner. On the other hand, if she's going to be dancing with more experience leads (single/SO doesn't dance--will be dancing with others or with teachers) then the closed toe becomes less important.

That's the situation I'm in, and I actually prefer open toes, because if I screw up it's instant feedback. My toes hurt from getting kicked or stepped on during lessons? Learn better technique! But then, that's just me.

4. blue

blue New Member

For a beginner dancer - it does not really matter that much. You will find out. Rubber soles are not so good, though. Try different shoes you already have, if you continue you can invest in something specific for tango dancing.

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

AT shoes are usually low-heeled and closed toe. Though it's a bit early to go shoe shopping, if you're considering AT as a long-term interest it's always a good investment to get the right shoes from the start.

T_E

6. ssjss

ssjss New Member

About the heel? I thought that they where higher than most. To help kept your wieght on your toes.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Er...not to be contrary, T_E, but not really.

AT shoes usually have higher heels than you find on most ballroom shoes. It's very common to usually have shoes with a 3", 3.5", or 4" heel. I've seen higher.

As for the toe, fully enclosed or mostly closed (with a peep-toe) is most common. Partly to protect the toes, but also, I believe, out of a sense of tradition. Although now it's becoming more and more commong for women's shoes to be very open and strappy, much like latin sandals...but often showier.

Perhaps the most definitive thing that sets apart AT heels is the leather sole, instead of suede. But it's not a requirement.

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I second blue -- to start with, any shoes that stay on your feet when you stand on the ball of your feet (i.e., the heels of the shoes come up with the heels of your feet) and let you pivot (i.e., *not* non-slip) should be fine.

Once you are addicted to tango, you will want to buy proper tango shoes to prove your love and passion for the art form :roll: :lol:. By then, you will know what sort of shoes you want to wear too ;). Until that happens, suitable street shoes will do just fine.