General Dance Discussion > Words and expressions used by non-dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would have to say that when I am at the dance studio I never twirl nor does my partner. We turn, we spin, we spiral, and that sort of thing. But we don't twirl.

I never tell anyone to "break a leg". That would be like the worst thing to happen to someone who dances and it is no laughing matter. I wouldn't take it personally if someone said it but it is just something I don't say.

I don't tend to do "some moves". I dance. I do steps. I practice techniques. But I don't just do some moves.

Are there any other words or phrases that come to mind that you really don't use at the dance studio but you here the general public use?

2. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Member

The general public calls the Hustle, Disco Dancing, as I often do, I'm "that age".

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Referring to music in general as "beats". This started with the rappers, bur I'm seeing it spread to other forms of popular music.

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Cue or signal. We don't do those; we lead.

5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Not a day goes by when someone doesn't ask me 'When are you going to be on DWTS?'. Non dancers have no idea that there are National and Workd championships to aspire to and seem to feel that the most esteemed destination would be to end up on that show.

Dancey likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

best paying tho...