General Dance Discussion > Working in Exchange for Lessons

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by waltzgirl, Jan 2, 2008.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Yes, one thing that does bother me about my studio's arrangement is that they don't charge the lowest lesson rate--not the full rate, but not the lowest package rate either. I do think they should charge the lowest rate, especially for someone who would be entering into a long-term relationship with them.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I once did clean up work inside and outside on the studio grounds to reduce the balance I owed to the studio several years ago when I started out. Wasn't enough to pay off most of it of course, but it helped.

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

How did the arrangement work? Was is a credit for $X per hour, or some other setup?

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

My husband does this at a studio. x work gets him y private lessons. Studio is happy, he's happy. Which is what counts. If you're happy with the arrangement, it doesn't matter what others think is "fair" or "not fair." If you're unhappy, then renegotiate until both parties are happy.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I just remember that it came out to $185 credit. It was not bad considering this was over 20 years ago.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Dad hs done this before. Did some programming work updating custom application they had made a few years back to track all the studios in region (owners of their studio are also regional director or some such position). He did the invoice setup, ie, he'd bill them for X hours of his work at their agreed upon rate, but that'd be credited to parents account instead of paid out. I would have done same thing (I've done some work for that studio too) if i was taking lessons at that studio. Since I'm not, I just invoiced them as usual, though I did heavily discount my rates. They're "family" :)

7. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

It helps with negotations to know what standard industry practices are. ;)

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Imagine that the teacher with whom you're taking classes also has such a kind of deal with the studio... then it loops and the wily studio does not have to pay anyone. In this hypothetical situation it's clear that you teachers are all being ripped off.

But this hypothetical situation shows that you're being ripped off by the studio.

9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. If teachers are paid $25/hr., then they would "earn" about 1 lesson for every 3 taught. So a teacher who taught 30 hours a week would "earn" 10 hours of lessons each week. Even assuming that they would want that many lessons, who would teach that many lessons? At the level that teachers (some of whom are high level competitors) need? Those teachers would have to be paid, and a heck of a lot more than $25.00

Granted, someone teaching a few beginners or group classes part time might be "paid" in lessons, just like the receptionist, web designer, graphic designer, etc. might be. But the economics of that kind of arrangement certainly wouldn't finance the whole studio.

10. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Sure it makes sense, as much as an hypothetical situation can.
    Teacher A, among 20 pupils, attends a group class taught by teacher B
    Teacher B, among 20 pupils, attends a group class taught by teacher C
    Teacher C, among 20 pupils, attends a group class taught by teacher A

Say each teacher is good in his dance and clueless in the other ones. Say A is specialized in ballroom, B in Country western, C in tap dance

Each teacher gets one class for one given. Fair enough.
    None of the three teachers is paid
    The studio gets the fees from 57 pupils and rips off the teachers.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I still say that in most cases, the tax savings on both sides offsets any "profit" the studio might make.

12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

This thread has become way unnecessarily complicated. The OP asked...

It is simple. (and her further posts show that she understands this very well) If you are being paid $10/hr and the cost of a group class is $10...voila! If she is getting paid $10/hr and the cost of a private is $65, then 6.5 hours of work is needed for 1 private hour.