General Dance Discussion > Working in the dance business

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Oct 11, 2003.

?

Do you work in the dance business?

1. Absolutely. That's how I make my living.

100.0%
  2. Part time only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nope. Hire a professional.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I plan to enter the dance business in the future.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just curious. How many of you work in the dance business, and how many are "dance consumers?" And why?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

A few years ago I left a dead end job as a pressman and became a full-time dance instructor. For a couple of years I made my own schedule and stayed up late every night. It was a nice reprieve from the normal 9-6.

Now I work full-time and teach part-time. I hope to again create a situation where I can have my own schedule again.

3. pygmalion

Right now, I'm a dance consumer, completely. But in the near future, I'm hoping to branch out and do something in the dance business -- shoes, or teaching, or costumes, or performing, or choreographing, or something. :? *shrug*

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I work afternoons and nights as a full time instructor. I actually like to put in extra hours and thoroughly enjoy my job.

5. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Other..

Time for an explanation. I learned to dance at my university's dance club. I've been dancing there for about three years now and have progressed from an inept klutz to someone who knows enough about salsa to take a turn teaching the beginner group classes.

All our regular teachers are volunteers (they get an honorarium of $10/lesson - enough for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake after the class). The organising comittee (of which I am part) don't pay for regular lessons, although we do if we have a visiting professional taking a series of classes.

So there ya go - sometimes a student, sometimes an instructor, neither paid nor paying, definitely Other.

Cheers,
    Sarah <Vice President, UCanDance>.

6. pygmalion

Wow, Sarah. Cool explanation. Someone else mentioned a volunteer instructor program in a long-ago thread. Seems like a win-win to me. Helps out the dance school, the new students, and helps the volunteer learn to teach. You can't beat that. :D

7. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I teach my friends some basic stuff to get them started and feeling comfortable...that's about it.

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

sounds fun sarah, are you thinking of teaching as a job later on?

9. Sarah

Sarah New Member

It is, great fun, but I don't think I want to make a career out of it. For one thing I've no real interest in competing, doing dance exams, or most of the legwork I'd have to do to consider myself properly qualified to be paid for dance lessons.

Cheers
    Sarah

10. pygmalion

I know what you mean, Sarah. And for a long time I told myself that I didn't want to deal with all the things you mention or people's attitudes, either. But lately I'm reconsidering. Not that you should. But I'm thinking about competition, and especially thinking about how much more dance I could learn more quickly, if I focused on dance as a career, rather than a hobby. (I use the word hobby advisedly. Obsession is more like it. :lol: )