General Dance Discussion > Workout tips, anyone?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by delamusica, Feb 14, 2006.

1. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Ok, here's my problem.

My upper arms are all jiggly when I hold them out to the sides - quite unappealing. When I diet and exercise, they just stay there.

Any tips on how to tone the underside of your upper arm? I don't know the technical name for it . . . when I hold my arms out to the side, palms facing forward, the problem spot is on the bottom . . . I'm just going to assume that I'm making sense and someone knows what I'm talking about . . .

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Triceps!

A multitude of exercies you can do....

Scroll down to tricep exercises here...two of my favorites (although I do the bench dips a little differently -- I put my feet on the floor, not another bench).

http://www.leehayward.com/arms.htm

Here's another one:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/l/blsampletricep.htm

If you have a stability ball, the one she's doing is really good (you can do it without the ball, but you're actually working a lot more with the ball). Also, I do push ups with my stability ball...

3. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Thanks!

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm....MQ gave some good info their. I do tricep extensions with a dumb bell. That is I grab the weight, hoist over my head, keep my upper arms straight and close to me ears and lower my forearms up and down with the weight.

Other exercise is kneeling on one leg on a bench extending the dumb bell.

I also use a machine now and then..plus other compound exercises, such as various presses help work them too.

Another suggestion...ask this question in our sister fitness forums, which can be found via the forum plexus link t the top right hand side of the webpage.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

remember, you can't spot-reduce. you *can* tone the muscle beneath the fat and you *can* reduce your overall bodyfat percentage.

6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The tricep extensions are very good if done with weights. Simple and effective. I should get back to doing tricep excercises... "hello" arms aren't very nice.

Twilight Elena

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Do some biceps exercises too. The biceps and triceps work together; chances are if one's out of tone, the other is too. Simple concentration curls, starting with a 5-lb. weight (2 kg), will do surprisingly well.

8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Yup, got it. Even when I reduce my body fat, they still jiggle. Just looking for some toning advice. :)

9. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Concentration curls?

10. Sagitta

Curls that you do focusing on the muscle being worked. Isolation is done by sitting on a bench and putting arms over a slanting "seat" I have the seat edge at top almost to my armpits. By not cheating and with the help isolating the muscle hopefully the exercise is more effective.

I can actually get a good workout and even strain myself without any weights! I kid you not. I've done it before. So weight is not a big deal IMO. What matters is the mental focus that you bring.

11. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

It's toning, but I also think some bodies have and some just don't. And it's o.k. to jiggle a bit. You'll find most ladies have some.

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Powernet sleeves? Jiggly arms are one of the hardest things to get rid of, I think.

13. Sagitta

hmmm...one learns something enw everyday about ladies on df...keep it coming ladies...maybe one day I'll understand ya.

14. Sagitta

hmm..one learns something new every day about ladies on df...keep it coming and maybe one day...one day...