Tango Argentino > Workshop Warriors

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I am smiling - but at the "jealous" bit. Hmm..interesting how not the first time that it was hinted at me (by total strangers, mind) that I may be suffering from the green stuff on this site. My brother's a criminal psychologist, I'll get his take on my views put across and the personalities behind these accusations and report back to you. :together:

p.s. the milonga after the class I am told was (as usual) very good.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Ah-ha! I can see that "I-told-you-so" streak coming out! :)

3. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I'll pay money for tango workshops over beer in a bar any weekend.

However, I'm not a big fan of taking workshops, unless the person taking the lesson puts into practice what they learn and then uses it in their dance. I've heard folks complain about not seeming to learn anything from tango workshops for all kinds of reasons, some likely ligit, but most not. When I ask the question as to whether or not they practice what they learn the day after, inorder to eventually be able to use it on a dance floor, most don't. When I don't practice, that is when I lose what I've been taught.

4. DancePoet

:lol:

5. DancePoet

Some folks just get enthusiastic about what they enjoy. Although sometimes, if I can't afford to do what I'd like with my dancing, then I can be a little envious those who can. If someone really is bragging about this type of thing from the view of how much more dedicated they are then someone else, well, then that's just them having an issue with their own self in life. Even my envy isn't worth it if I just live within myself.

6. DancePoet

I attended one workshop like this, but then the teacher regained direction with the course of instruction, and things turned out ok. I suspect the quality of the instruction created the issue, but I'm willing to give instructors newer to teaching workshops the benefit of the doubt, especially when the cost was only $10 per session.

Two hours seems a bit long for a workshop. I recently attended some that were an hour and a quarter, and it seemed healthier then the longer stuff.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I used to do three hour workshops with a break in the middle; but my preference is for one and a half to two hour workshops if I'm teaching anything above beginner level. This gives ample time for people to practice with different partners and some flexibility in going over stuff that people have problems with.

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

After about 75 minutes, I definitely flag. 90 minutes straight is about the maximum uninterrupted time I can focus.

In fact, I think that's a general thing - that's why most training courses generally split into units of no more than 90 minutes.

9. DancePoet

I won't attend a two hour workshop unless that is the only one I'm attending. And even then, it better be a good topic with a preferred instructor.