Tango Argentino > World Argentine Tango Championships

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by swinginstyle, Oct 14, 2004.

1. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

Anyone know about the championships in Hungary? Links or general information would be appreciated.

2. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Championships? Huh? Somebody talk to me about this. I didn't know Argentine tango was a competitive sport. What's up?

4. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... you have me curious, too.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

yes and ballet is an olympic sport!
    (smell of scorched irony) :evil:

6. pygmalion

scorched irony? Sounds like these championships may be a bit ... controversial? :eyebrow:

7. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

BTM, you should be ashamed of yourself!!! :p Scorched irony, indeed!

Ballet is the most challenging of all the dances and the stamina required is mind boggling! I've just taken up adult classes and one hour of ballet doubles me over in a way three hours of karate can't!!! LOL

But Jenn, you're right. It does seem to be embroiled in some controversy. I'm looking into it, but no one seems to know very much about it at all. I didn't realise anyone held comps. Having said that, I suppose, it's the logical next step for any dance.

8. pygmalion

Well ... I guess ... if you measure accomplishment in a dance by some externally applied "award." It seems to me that (what an old coach used to call) saloon dances need only to be done, to be valid. Who needs a competition or an award?

And, to be honest, I can't see the Argentine tango community rallying around such an award. Based on all my googling, the AT community seems to be intelligent, discriminating, lovers of the dance itself. I can't see them being impressed by some competition or the other. They'd more likely be impressed by outstanding dancing done unsung in some remote village.

(Can you tell I've been reading Tango-L entries lately? LOL.)