General Dance Discussion > World Dance Day

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancersdreamland, Feb 7, 2006.

1. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I received the following email information from the International Dance Council regarding World Dance Day. Thought this group might be interested.

On the 29th of April, as every year since 1982, World Dance Day will be celebrated all over the world by the international community of dancers and dance enthusiasts.

The International Dance Council CID has prepared the following guidelines as a useful checklist for persons involved in the wider field of dance: teachers, choreographers, group leaders, journalists, researchers, associations, suppliers, organizations, etc.

Object: The main purpose of Dance Day events is to attract the attention of the wider public to the art of dance. Special emphasis should be given to addressing a “new” public, people who do not follow dance events during the course of the year.

Events: Dance Day events may be special performances, open-door courses, public rehearsals, lectures, exhibitions, articles in newspapers and magazines, dance evenings, radio and TV programs, visits, street shows, etc.

Organizers: Events are primarily organized by dance companies, amateur groups, schools, associations and other institutions active in dance. Wherever possible, it is better for events to be organized jointly with a non-dance institution such as a government agency, a public school, a municipality, a business enterprise, a trade union.

Content: Organizers have full freedom to define the content of the event. Make sure you include general information on the art of dance, its history, its importance to society, its universal character. This can be done in a short speech, a note in the program, a text distributed to those present. (Read a message from a prominent personality, a poem, a passage from a text by a famous author.) By adding this dimension you make the event different from dance activities taking place any other day.

Coordination: In order to achieve maximum success, it is important preparations start early enough. It is imperative to inform the press and generally the media about your event. Notify an organization holding a central position at regional or national level, which should publish a list of events planned for Dance Day. Entrance to events should preferably be free, or by invitation. Invite persons who do not normally attend dance events.

Location: At best, events should take place in “new” places, such as streets, parks, squares, shops, factories, villages, discotheques, schools, stadiums, etc. By setting the event in original surroundings you stress the fact this is an event dedicated to the universal family of dancers.

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have a stupid question. Is it somehow related to National Ballroom Dance week USA Dance holds every year in September?

3. Rosa

Rosa New Member

First I've heard of that, but it sounds great, dancersdreamland. :D

I know dance isn't to everyone's taste, but if they don't try, they'll never know, will they?

Rosa :)

4. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

tanya_the_dancer - "I have a stupid question. Is it somehow related to National Ballroom Dance week USA Dance holds every year in September?"

I don't think so...

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

April 29, eh? Maybe we should do something special in DF that day -- a contest or banner or something or something else ... (I'm full of great ideas tonight, aren't I? :lol: )

6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Me wants banner...

Twilight Elena

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

We have something in Ithaca, I believe around that time.