General Dance Discussion > World Record for the Most Dance Spins?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by danceguy, Feb 18, 2004.

1. danceguy

danceguy New Member

The other day I was watching my two Salsa teachers dance, and after I started to count a bit late I counted about 20 fast turns...and then I had a most interesting thought...

What is the world record for the most turns/spins done during a dance? I know there are folks like the Whirling Dervishes...but does anyone here at DF have any ideas?

After a quick search with the almighty Google, I found the following article about a ballet dancer who spun 38 times, but on her own:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_1639000/1639121.stm

I'm curious about partner dancing though...I wonder if such a record exists?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

38 spins? :shock: Eeek.

3. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I agree, 38????? OMG! But then ballet dancers are put through their paces once they get to a certain level to be able to do this.

I have built up to between 5-7 I can do, still dizzy but can maintain a standing pose. Had someone put me through at least 12 one night, he had to hold me up and guide me off the floor, I was so dizzy!! :lol:

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I believe Barishnikov does 12 Pirouettes in "White Nights" and that is quite impressive.

38?

Whoa! Like to see that done.

5. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

In my "Burn the Floor" ballroom video in the final sequence Peta Roby does quite a number of single foot spins led by her partner, then spins out and continues pivoting towards the front of the stage. Not sure how many there are, but it could be around 20!

BTW, Jason Gilkinson and Peta Roby have been my ballroom and latin heros since I was little.

6. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I've seen women do 10-20+ in both Salsa and ballroom venues...but they were mostly professionals who obviously have practiced for many years.

Its very inspirational for me as I am absolutely horrible at spins. I can do singles and am learning doubles...but I get dizzy really easily.

I'll keep searching for more information...there has to be a World Record somewhere...if not there should be! :p

7. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

I've been working on my spins and I can now do about five in a row, but not confidently enough that I would try that on a dance floor. In a few more weeks, perhaps...

8. jon

jon Member

Country dancers tend to be good at spinning. I've seen pros do several dozen in performances.

9. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I love to spin. Especially since one of my many hobbies is figure skating. Scratch spins on ice can really get you dizzy when you first start. The cool thing with them (as you probably already know) is that dizziness is a trick of the brain...after practicing a lot, your brain no longer registers it. On the dance floor with a partner, I typically do doubles and triples.

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I wonder if she has previously danced the role of Odile in Swan Lake? :wink:

Footnotes - Swan Lake

www.dancer.com/Hist4.html+%22Pierina+Legnani.%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]Pierina Legnani[/url]

11. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

AWESOME video! If you haven't seen it yet...watch it now!!!

Are you still reading this? What are you waiting for? Go get it right now!!!! :D

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I saw the production here in London before it went on tour :shock: it was amazing! I really liked the futuristic element used.