Salsa > World Salsa Championships Orlando

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Some Day, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Some Day

Some Day New Member

Anyone going? Who are your favorites?

2. tj

tj New Member

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Spin spin spin-- turn turn turn-- wondered if they were ever going to actually dance ?? :confused:

4. Some Day

Some Day New Member

Agree. Spins and turns and level of control are impressive....would like to see more 'dancing', though. Then again, I guess this is the type of dancing that is expected and rewarded at a competition, no?

5. tj

tj New Member

Yup, it's definitely the state of "what is in" for competitions nowadays.

6. Kamari

Kamari New Member

Damn. I say that spinning is all part of dancing...and she does it DAMN well!!! :notworth:

Does anyone have a list of who's entering this year? I can't pick favorites without knowing who's in it..... :confused:

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I saw Junior and Emily's performance at a congress, and yes, they do a lot of spins, but I was very impressed by the amazing cleanness of their technique. Even though there were loads of other performances (far too many in my opinion) and many also included lots of spins, Junior and Emily really stood out. Yes I would like to see more dancing and innovative choreography in performances/competitions in general, but Junior and Emily do what they do very very well. Hats off to them.

8. mayanempire

mayanempire New Member

I'm planning on heading over there after the salsa cruise. I only know of a few of the competitors, but hope to be exposed to bunch of new talent, considering the qualifying comps took place all over.

9. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

just watched that vid of Junior and Emily, and all I can say is "wow". They are about the best PAIR of spinners I think I've seen. The different techniques they employ to execute the various spins are phenomenal. And yes, as someone else mentioned here, everything they do is very "clean".

10. naturallove

naturallove New Member

They are very, very clean and great dancers. The other thing I'm impressed with is their teaching--I've taken workshops from them and I was really surprised at how good they were the first time (especially given that Emily was about 15 or 16 at the time)

11. kfineyouw1n

kfineyouw1n New Member

12. SalsaTO

SalsaTO New Member

Canada & World Salsa Championships

Watch for the Canadian connection at the 3rd World Salsa Championships in Orlando.

StepsDanceStudio.com's and Canada Salsa Congress founder Jennifer Aucoin is one of the judges.

The Canada Salsa Congress also was a qualifier for the World Salsa Championships and the ones going with some of or all of their expenses paid are:

On 2 Division - 1st. Victor & Katia, Montreal;
    On 2 Division - 2nd. Dave & Erin, Calgary;
    On 1 Division - 1st. Marie-Denise & Alky, Montreal;
    On 1 Division - 2nd. Marie-Josee & Roberto, Montreal;
    On 1 Division - 3rd. Nancy & Michael, Montreal;
    Team Division - 1st. Saltimambo, Montreal.

And, MamboDreamTeam's Pawel and Dora are competing in Cabaret class and they have a team entry.

See still pix at SalsaTO.ca

With mere points separating first from second or third place, the level of dancing and competition will be very high.

Hope you all will enjoy one heck of a show and live music and workshops.

13. All I am interested in is the El Gran Combo concert on Dec. 13. Does anybody know how much the tickets for this one concert are? Normally, at congresses one can buy single evening tickets. The World Salsa Championship website has prices only for event + hotel packages.

14. Some Day

Some Day New Member

Hi salsera alemana,

Looks like $45 gets you in to the 7pm semi-finals followed by live performance by El Gran Combo.

15. Thanks, Some Day.
    I found it on the website now. I am not interested in the competition - salsa performance and show overkill - I have seen too many shows over the years and they bore me, unless I can see Felipe Polanco or Stacey López dance (those two never bore me).

We would only go to see El Gran Combo. I doubt it, though. Here in Florida are so many great salsa live concerts and dances and the entrance fee is $20 at the most, for outdoor events with several famous bands only $5-$10. Saw La Sonora Ponceña two weeks ago, NG2, Paquito Guzman & Paquito Acosta, and Grupo Niche last week.

16. tangotime

Use to go to many of those in Tampa at the Egyp. Temple---$ 25- 30 usually--close to 2000 latinos would show-- until youve danced in that atmosphere, ya havent quite lived the full experience-- quite amazing .

17. tangotime,

I agree 500%!!! A great live band in a Latino environment, that is what makes a great concert experience. I have been to congreso dances in San Juan just to see a band (Puerto Rican Power, Witchie Camacho, La Sonora Ponceña) but it was rather disappointing. The bands were still good but the ambiente is never the same. The "connection" between the band and the audience is missing because the audience is predominantly non-Latino.

In August we went to a dance with Ray de la Paz in Orlando. Lalo Rodriguez was in the audience and Ray de la Paz invited him on stage to close the concert with him. It was phantastic! At 2:30 in the morning those two improvised for about 20 minutes on stage with the Puerto Rican crowd there cheering them on, it was great!!!

18. tangotime

I am so D--- envious !!!-- not a latino in sight here :(

19. tangotime,

I feel for you! Once you are spoiled there is no going back...and still enjoy

20. vey

vey New Member

schedule of ESPN broadcast?

The finals are supposed to be broadcasted on ESPN this Saturday December, 15th. Does anybody know the schedule? And which exactly ESPN (regular ESPN doesn't have anything like that this Saturday). I also couldn't find any pertaining info on the WSC website