Salsa > World Salsa Congress Robbed!!!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Jun 2, 2004.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

Got this cryptic email today. What is going on with Albert Torrest?

>EMAIL SNIP>

Hello Everyone,

I do not know if you know about what's going on right now BUT lets support Albert Torres!

The First 400 people who sends Albert $200 will get a Full Event Pass for the 2005 West Coast Salsa Congress!! You will be saving at least $150!!

Lets make sure that we have another wonderful event in Los Angeles

Albert Torres Productions, Inc
    2001 S. Barrington Ave, STE 118
    Los Angeles, CA 90025

(310) 450-8770 Office

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

There was an incident that happened at the Congress this year. A volunteer stole 750-1000 full passes and sold them from a hotel room near HPC. Albert lost about $80,000. He's prosecuting the primary suspect and her accomplice. The full event passes for 2005 are to help get some quick capital. A stopgap if you will until he can hopefully get his money back.

3. brujo

brujo New Member

That's pretty disturbing. I wonder if the people buying the full passes knew that they were getting stolen tickets and simply did not care. How were they found out?

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Geez, that just sucks! I personally feel that the price for congress has become a bit steep, but that's no excuse for thievery! :x :evil:

5. brujo

brujo New Member

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

WOW...that's some heavy reading! :shock:

If anyone doesn't have time to read the whole thing, here's a direct link to the post from Albert explaining what went down :arrow: http://www.salserosweb.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?p=119726#119726

The whole thing just turns my stomach... and my sympathies and best wishes are with Albert, his family, and his crew... :(

7. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Ditto! How awful! :evil:

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

This is awful! People working hard for the Salsa World get into such trouble! I hope the police find the thieves!

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

what a joke... to uphold justice by salsalawyer, good thing he isn't representing her second accomplice too... Fair representation, let the system make a fair decision... PLEAZZZ... the best script always wins, it isn't about truth nor fairness, it is about what lying lawyer can be most convincing with their script... That is the justice system, blind to he who has the most money, and best script, as far as truth, who cares, the movie potrayed by A was better than the one by B.... SO A wins....

Ahhhhhh... Please, it's a good thing it didn't happen to me, I would have done like Mealo says in the "Si Te Cojo", I would have given them both a couple of black eyes, and I would be the on being arrested... :evil:

If it was about morals, all morals would say is, you did the crime, you pay the fine... My brother steals from you, I bring him to you, no one has the right to take something from anyone who busts their butt from it.

Other than that, Hope Albert the best. It is a joke that people even think about stealing from our own.

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

When there's that much money involved, people with less than sincere motives are bound to appear. What's a businessperson to do?
    Truly a very sorry situation for Mr Torres, everyone knows how hard he works for these events. :(

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yikes! That's awful. A lady who posted on the other board has a point, though. Event insurance may cover some of the financial loss. The bigger problem is the damage within the salsa community. What happens if Mr. Torres decides never to put on another event or to scale back this event, which would be perfectly understandable. The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. I hope the bad guys are brought to justice, and soon. Anybody who's familiar with the case, please keep us posted on the details. Somebody belongs behind bars.

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Boriken, she is a friend who called him for help. He is just helping her through the process (I believe she also has a daughter that will need care arrangements). It is my understanding that he is not actually going to be representing her. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

I think it is at times like this one really finds out who one's friends are and I do not believe that salsalawyer is the type to drop his friends when in trouble, irrespective of the trouble. So, please cut him some slack. :lol: If you don't, I will find ways to tickle you this evening :twisted:

It is unfortunate, that there are such close connections, ie. the salsa world, she is a friend who, for whatever reason, made a few bad choices.

Yes, the question re the insurance is a good one. However, hindsight is a great teacher and until then, spending '$4,000' on the risk that someone might steal from you/have a financial loss who really likes to think along those lines? Prepare for all 'eventualities' but, when you have worked so hard in a community you believe you know, someone stealing from you with such potentially large 'reward' (or trying to run you down with their car!) is not an 'eventuality/risk' that you contemplate. :(

13. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and one more thing. (I knew this was one of those topics I wouldn't be able to resist LOL) The people on that other board, especially the one who started the thread, should be very careful to avoid allegations of defamation of character. Not libel, if the charges are true. But defamation of character. These ladies have basically been identified, tried and convicted by the salsa community world wide. That sounds like defamation to me. :roll:

If the ladies wronged Mr. Torres, which it looks like they did, I see two good ways to help. One, buy tickets for next year's event immediately to help with cash flow, if possible. Two, share any information you have with Mr. Torres' representatives or the police department. I'm sure there are probably other things you could do, as well.

14. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Boriken, u strike me as a nice guy.. so i'm rather dissapointed.. taking this point u made here about a certain character that i had the honor and pleasure of knowing - albeit if only via internet - for around 15 months now.. and that is Reggie aka 'Salsa Lawyer'.. i have to say that you dont know him even in the most limitted of ways to judge him as your comment implys.. or just place him among the badness of the system.. if u read on the related thread u will see that he will not be repreenting the accused in the actual trial.. even if he did i do not see reason for the slight.. i cannot say that i disagree with your general view about the justice system because what u say is prob'ly true world wide.. that maybe so.. but there are decent people out there and yes some of them are lawyers and i BELIEVE salsalawyer to be one of them.. (i also believe that both Pacion and Yougsta hold the same view of him incase i'm being personal or subjective).. and believe me i'm not the kind of guy that says these things about others easily or often..

in general.. i think its best to withhold character opinions simply because u cannot judge anyone u dont know .. and with but general outline views.. supporting Albert on the other hand should be the focuss..

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, I do believe salsalawyer is a decent person, so my comment of being 'caught between a rock and a hard place' was not a flipent one.

Also in Albert's original post on the matter, he said:
    This, funnily enough, no one seems to have commented on. Some people got personal emails/PMs from this person and DID NOTHING. Yes, by all means give Albert support, after the fact, but how about supporting him PRIOR to the fact. I suspect no one imagined the scale of financial loss would have been what it amounts to and that he could have lost his life but still, as a matter of principle? That no one appears to have made an effort to contact Albert and say 'I had x email/PM are you aware of this?'

To me, it is as if the community is trying to bolt the door AFTER the horse has bolted. :(

16. pygmalion

Yes. I noticed that, too, Pacion. To be outraged and supportive after the fact is nice, but to know what was going on and say nothing was just wrong. I wonder how much loss could have been prevented if someone had spoken up on the opening night?

Somebody bought those $80K worth of tickets. They probably didn't realize that their one $75 pass could add up to that much of a difference, but stealing is still stealing. They knew that much.

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Maybe so, but my words are directed at what he said, not his character. I didn't say he is a joke, I believe I made no mention of his character in the post.

He can be the nicest person in the world, and if he says something I do not agree with, I'll simply state so... It is a joke because there isn't such a thing as upholding justice, but rather a view based on twists and bends. That statement is a joke. I didn't say anything about his character. If I might have implied so, it was simply words badly chosen on my post. That said, I still stand on the view that upholding justice is a total joke a statement for anyone to make, even the most decent of people.

I've said many horrible staments myself, and if someone calls me out on them, they have every right to do so, even if they lack knowledge of me as a person, it is their right to voice opinion about something they deem incorrect, or simply a joke. There need be no knowledge of a person's character to have an opinion on something the person said, or even represents.... That the views can possibly change upon aqcuaintance, is a different token.

I believe the end of the thread he (SL) said that he will not be representing the second person, but that he will go to court representing his friend... Perhaps, I just read wrong.

So, yes, the judgement was to his statement, not his character. Just like me saying that our excuse to go to war is a JOKE... no mention of Bush's character but his statements...

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

u see.. for me .. i cannot express opinion/judgement based on another mans opinion/judgement without knowing the person fairly enough or the circumstances.. and putting myself in their position as much as i can discern

to me opinions form views .. forms beliefs.. forms character.. forms the way we view things .. its all related in a cycle and cannot be separated .. just evolving and changing as we live more, see more and know more..
    but, again thats just me.. and thats why i find it very hard to carry one view or opinion without considering the other side b4 i voice my own..

so we are different in this respect... nonetheless, thanks for the reply and cheers.

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Very much so, and I understand your stance, and enjoy reading your beliefs... To me, that is exactly what leads to conversation, understanding and growth. had I not made an opinion on him, you would have not reacted with your opinion based on your life's reality, hence causing both of us to interact and learn more about each other, and the cycle of life.

I take my views on opinions as the very first stance on my current reality, or truth about somone or something, from there they constantly evolve as I enteract be it with that person, or the world. Be it a mistake, or not, the ultimate goal is to learn and progress through an ever changing truth. I pay no attention whether it will be a "bad", or "good" interaction for the true purpose is learn.

As they say, there isn't a sole/absolute path, but many of which all eventually lead the an ultimate truth... Hmmm, God, that sounds so different than "Not all roads lead to Rome"... hehe

Sabor, thank you for sharing a bit of your world with me today. Next time, we should have it over beer... Egyptian beer...

Did I mention that me lady love and I are planning to visit either spain or egypt next year, wait, I think we settled for spain then egypt the following year. Hmmmm

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Thank you boriken.. likewise.

Whichever year u decide on my friend the beer will be here and hopefully.. so will i.. u and the lucky lady are indeed most welcome!