Salsa > World Salsa Federation Controversy

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Dec 14, 2003.

1. vey

vey New Member

Me four, Boriken!

I seriously think I'm going to print out your posts and re-read them for inspiration before going dancing or practicing. :idea:

And Jeni has a great question "What do you do to help people bring out their "inner dancer?" And I might add: what do you do to help people bring out their "inner dancer" in public? (I seem to be able to get in touch with mine occasionally while dancing by myself in the kitchen :) but with people around, I often "freeze") :(

And a bit more "on-topic": for learning salsa basics vs. being born into salsa debate, I feel it may be somewhat similar with playing musical instruments - some people learn by ear, often as little kids, others learn later and have to start with basics, learn how to read sheet music etc., in both cases they can become great musicians.

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Has anyone of you guys as teenagers been talking to the one person whose mere presence makes you blush, but you have managed to keep a straight face. Until your parents show up and say what you believe to be the most embarrassing thing to say in front of that person? Remember our reactions, the redness of the face, the heat felt in the ears, the mouth dropping so fast it seems to freeze the moment in time and engrave it into our memories. That is how I feel from reading your words. Red, happy, astonished and overwhelmed with all of your comments. THANK YOU GUYS SO VERY MUCH!!

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

It is well hidden Jeni. It is well hidden. As Sagitta mentions, you must not think.

I have an out line as to what it is that I eventually want to teach my students. It starts out with something like this in their first class. I dim the lights, I grab selected CDs, not just any songs but selected songs. The songs that say we are all about passion. I will sit with my students in a circle and ask them what they feel. I’ll go from song to song and ask them what they feel. Then I’ll get up and I’ll dance with my partner a snip of what it makes me feel. I’ll hope to lead them into knowing that my heart and soul are dancing, not my head.

Then… I’ll ask YOU to go home, lie in bed, close your eyes and play music, any music you absolutely love. Not just love, but you really really really love, even if it isn’t salsa, but I suggest it be salsa. Concentrate on your body and the music. Listen to the music and feel how the body reacts, feel your heart, your hands, your stomach, your throat, the feet, …how you being to make facial expressions... Feel the blood rushing through your veins. Don’t jump out and try to move right away, but keep feeling the music and your body, when you feel your body is just about to burst where you can’t contain the feeling anymore start moving slowly. Don’t bust out going nuts dancing, have self-control, let the music and your emotions caress every once of your body. Really feel it. You are going to feel it so deep that you’ll stop feeling that you are in bed, and will feel your soul. It is peaking out at the music; you have bypassed the physical world and allowed your soul to react for you. If you wish not to move, then don’t, let the passion consume you, as if it was meditation, but instead of quietness consuming you, it will be the feeling of passion. The more in tune you become with your feelings, the easier it will be to get there next time. Once you have felt the passion of love from your soul, your body will seek it time and time again. Every time you hear a passion-drenched song, it will cause your body to seek more satisfaction and it will attempt to bring you to that once felt spot. It is like being held by the love of your life, you seek it every time and no matter how many times you have it, you want it again.

If you know of someone who is passionate when they dance, try to feel them. Feel your connection, feel when they touch you. If you are in synch with your body you will feel his/her passion overcoming you. Don’t fight it. go with it. Don’t think about who is around you, you’ll fail to see the cloud-walking trip he/she is just about to gift you with. With someone who is passionate is easier to get there. There is double the energy and you won’t feel as shy to do it in front of people. If you laugh at what is going on, don’t pay attention to your partner, you are thinking and your head won’t let you get there. It is all in the head, the more you think, the more walls you will build, the more reasons you want for not understanding what is going on. Remember that most use the mind as a wall and not a tool of understanding, hence, why some people don’t feel like they should feel emotions.

If you think, you won’t get there. If you deem it foolish, you are thinking. Just don’t try at all, let it come on its own, to some it comes slower than others. Remember to never try to get there, you don’t know the way there, so why are you going to try to get there. However, your soul knows, so when your body is good and ready it will open the gates to a passionate soul, which will yield the inner dancer you knew you had but didn’t know how to meet. Rome wasn’t build in a day, neither will your feeling for the music. You want to feel with your soul, not follow the few that feel the 4 count and say, Yes, I feel the beat.

Now, this is just how I choose to do it. Because it works for me it doesn’t mean it will work for you. But chances are that if you are willing to listen to your soul, you’ll find that this form of music-meditation will give a world that not many have experienced and from the bed it will travel to the dance-floor.

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I’d suggest you get a helpmate, he who is nothing but passionate about dancing. He who is willing to hold you by the hand and let you know not to be afraid, you are not alone, I am here with you and for you. And… Follow him. Concentrate on solely the music, your body and his lead. If you are able to solely concentrate on those 3 things, you will not see/feel/hear anyone around you but the 2 of you. Then, you can start little by little allowing the inner dancer to come out. Don’t bust out at once and go nuts, again, it is about self control, hopefully one day when you won’t notice that the inner dancer has been out for quite a while.

Remember that only you can allow yourself not to be shy. All the help in the world won’t get you there if you don’t desire it. It is up to you and only you, everyone else can only point in direction. You must walk the walk and you must not think it, but feel… It won’t be an over night success, it will take time, but if you stop thinking it will make the road that much easier.

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

My John Hancock will surely find its way to your copy. :D :D

6. vey

vey New Member

Thank you Boriken.

May all the gods of salsa be with you...

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Boriken.......you have no idea how much I needed to hear that today!

:notworth: Thankyou :notworth:

*if only I could explain in words how close these words of yours came to touching my soul.......*

8. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

Boriken:

:notworth: :notworth: :kissme:

I am surprised/amazed/pleased that you wrote all that! I can't believe it!
    It was exactly the advice I needed to hear. You couldn't have hit closer to the target.

Man...you really write from the heart! Don't mind if I look to you when I need inspiration.

Jeni :D :D

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'm happy to hear that I was able to help even if it is from miles away. From time to time we all need a lift. It is great to hear that my writting had something to do with your brighter day. :D :D [**HUG**]

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

By all means Jeni. I am here to share all of me with you guys. Whether it be a cry on the shoulder, a kick on the butt, or simply to inspire during the not so sassy times.

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

AMEN to that...

12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I'll take some "Salsa con Ballroom" por favor.....

I think any time a dance is taught in a certain way by an indivdual, it has been syllabized (even though unofficially). There'ws a quote from "Strictly Ballroom" that basically runs to the effect that if you can't explain what it is you're doing to someone, then it isn't a teachable pattern. And thus invalid as a dance "move" if your intent is to pass it on for posterity.

I don't believe that codifying a dance removes all chances for creativity or re-interpretation. I believe that it offers a framework of reference and a place to start for beginners.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I just wanted to pint out that, despite the original article's linking of Isaac witht the ballroom scene, the NDCA (the National Dance Council of America) has cut all ties with him!

14. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

I am happy that I have generated 4 pages of copy. Now take a step into the future: Coming in January 2004, the WSF Television Network. WSF Web Site (edited by moderator) Now is a chance to hear and see it from me personally. News, editorials, events, and much more.

Just a note, the NDCA cut off ties with the AAU, not Isaac Altman (hahahaha). Get the real story at WSF web site (Edited by moderator)

(Isaac, if you're going to post here, at least make a contribution,
    this is not your personal promotion forum...your post has been edited
    as such.)

15. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

As a footnote, look who started this old news. Pyg.....from Fla. Maybe he/she should reveal who they are if they have the guts. Alterier motives? The WSF thinks so. Here is an open invitation for Pyg..... to go on WSF TV and and give the Salsa World your opinion and your image! You can do it face to face with me. What do you say Pyg.....? Do you have the ca.........?

16. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Come on Isaac, you're not a dumb guy, why don't you stick
    to the topic. If you read the posts you'll see that most of the
    conversation did not revolve around you, but of the mission
    of WSF...here's your chance, let us know your stance without
    being vague and pointing us to some web site.

I for one would really like to hear your side with no accusations
    or insults, just the straight story, from your mouth...nothing more
    nothing less.

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's pygmalion, or Jennifer, Isaac. And sorry to disappoint you, but look around. I generate between twenty and twenty-five percent of the new topics in dance forums. No ulterior motives with this topic at all. My MO with this topic was the same as all the others -- search the web, find a topic of interest, post and let DF members discuss and draw their own conclusions. I actually think this topic generated some interesting and positive discussion on many facets of the issue. You're certainly welcome to join in. 8)

18. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

Well Jennifer, how about taking up my offer and going on WSF TV?

19. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Are you really in such desperate need for attention that all
    you can do is mention your web site? Come on, Isaac, it's
    pretty lame. Answer the questions here and now, don't
    put it off.

You know what, don't answer the questions, I'll let your
    silence be an indication of who you really are.

20. IsaacAltman

IsaacAltman Member

Fernando, you know better than to think I am the silent type :wink: Unfortunately the rest of these people don't know about our private emails back and forth. I hope people see through you and know that your provocation is nothing more than selling this forum. :lol: Maybe we are doing the same thing? Hmm......................