General Dance Discussion > Worried about... well. Dance stuff.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Now that I'm finished with Bronze (and teacher exams), my teacher and I are going to prepare choreographies in three latin dances (Chacha, Rumba, Samba). Mostly it's because we want to work on technique and I'm not really interested in learning even more steps in Silver; I'd prefer to focus on my technique. But he also wants us to present those choreographies.
    Copied from a post of mine at a different thread:

In the words of my teacher, I'm not an advanced student anymore. I'm a beginner teacher. Thoughts?

T_E

2. Medira

Medira New Member

I think that putting together choreography for a performance will give you a target to aim for. That target date will help you to get the drive going (and maintained) so that you can improve faster.

When it comes down to the actual performance, your teacher, as the senior level dancer, is going to have to dance to your level. That way you'll look even. It will look just as bad on him (if not worse) if he's obviously "out-dancing" you as it would with you dancing at your best at your level.

Honestly, I think it's a good thing. It gives you something to work toward and something to focus your energy on. :)

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

mmm... in a two-author paper, there is an expectation that both authors have done significant work, but when it really comes down to it, the more prestegious/experience author will be judged by his/her peers more harshly than the novice. i suppose the same applies to your situation also. so relax and try to stand on the shoulders of giants...

4. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

mmm...TE, I agree with all the folks here, but I also think you have a legitimate concern.

But this may just be MY nature. If I am a teaching pro, I am taking folks money to teach them to dance...I'd better darn well feel that I am adequate to that task for me to feel comfortable.

I watch some of the non-competing dance pros at the studios I go to and I personally would be embarassed to be teaching with their skill levels, and I am not saying they should be....it's just my nature. However, for me some of that is mitigated by knowing some of these teachers continue to take lessons and grow in their own dance skills, at that point I admire their drive and dedication to continue to improve.

Just a few thoughts to mull around...

5. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

I think that putting a routine together is great! Actually, in the C&W world, we have a competition division called "Pro-Pro". Think "Pro-Am" with the student being a Pro and not an amatuer. I myself have competed in this division and it just validated my belief that no matter how far you have come, you still have a lot to learn......and there's no shame in that! I think that students understand this thought as well, and can relate to it. Good luck!! =)

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Do your students know you are performing with your teacher? I think if you were to tell them, they would understand and set their expectations accordingly.

I remember when I was starting out and thought the world of my instructors (still do, but in a slightly different way, now). I was quite shocked to find that not only did my instructors take lessons from higher level coaches, but that those coaches took lessons from even higher level coaches. :oops:

7. Twilight_Elena

Some of my students know, as well as my bosses. It's too soon to tell everyone (it will take some time till we're ready to present it).
    I've been thinking about it (your commenst here have been very helpful) and I think that I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not a bad teacher, even though I'm new, and I'm working on my dancing, which shows dedication. To tell you the truth, I was more worried about malicious gossip by certain people. I have a certain teacher in mind that threw me a very poisonous stare when she found out about the choreography. It was very "How dare you present a choreography, you're nothing next to me". It is very silly of me to fret over such things since she is (according to everyone I've talked to) of a much lower standard than me and I have known her since she first started dancing.
    Sometimes people can really push your buttons.

T_E

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's true. The pushing button thing. I'm glad that we have helped. :) If others know that this other person is of a lower standard I wouldn't worry about her being malicious. She simply will be shown up for what she is. ;-) or if people are mislead and then they find out later she really will be thought of badly and you will be presented in an even better light than in the first place.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

This is very true! ;)

10. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Am glad you are sounding more comfortable now TE, good luck and let us know how it goes....

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

here's the thing TE....success can be a very lonely road....few people are gracious to those whom they envy, even fewer are able to maintain it for the long haul...you have to become your own best friend...hug....

12. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Trust your teacher. If you look bad it reflects badly on his teaching, so I doubt he'd be setting you up to embarrass yourself.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that too...he has his ego to protect as well

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's a very good point, and one that I must remember myself when he says to trust him.

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I *cling* to this notion!

16. Twilight_Elena

I am just really hoping he's as much of a perfectionist as I think. ;)

T_E

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good luck, TE... sounds like you have really made progress and are feeling it. a couple months back you were quite frustrated... am happy to hear you've cleared a new corner! :D

good luck!