General Dance Discussion > Would it still be fun if dancing is a full time job?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by FTL, Dec 1, 2005.

1. FTL

FTL New Member

In reading one of the threads, dancing seems to be fun when you have another job to support it. I wonder if dancing is still fun when it is a full time job. I have seen a locally produced documentary of a successful pro and they feel that it is not fun but work and hard work. That's not to mention financial challenges in maintaining a dance studio. What do you feel?

Please disregard thread if discussed previously.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to make it a full time job...but I find it fun as something to do part-time.

3. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I think that everytime your hobby becomes your work - it looses its charm. There is no excapism left when it is you everyday work.

It happened to me when I started painting at my every day work as IT consult (we started up a design office). For many years I had a part time work as artist. As far as I worked as system engineer and painted one-two days a week it work fine. But when the borderline disappeared - it lost its magic.

I don't paint anymore.

/Luc

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's very true. When you're relying on a particular activity to put food on the table, that can't help but change your perception of it. I really enjoy music, and I'm moderately good at it, but I have absolutely no desire to be a professional musician. (Especially after seeing what my brother went through when he tried it. :headwall: )

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Still, you'll be doing something for a living anyway. Why not do something you love? That's what all the career consultants say, isn't it?

Twilight Elena

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The way I see it, there are two choices. One is to look for something you truly love, something you're passionate about and once you find it, try to use it to make a living, regardless of how practical that is. And the second choice is to find something you're good at and what can give you a steady income, and pursue your passions in your spare time. Both ways have their own advantages, I suppose, and the grass is always greener on the other side. I have chosen the second option (I am a programmer). I never tried the first option, because I didn't start dancing until I was in my 20s, and the start was rocky, so-to-speak. And it is obvious, that even if I wanted to try the career switch, I would never make a good teacher (dance, or anything else for that matter), because I stink at explaining things. But I always wonder what it would feel like to make money doing something I truly love (in my case, dancing). Could feel great, or could eventually feel like eating deserts all the time.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

the *competitive* dancers i know rarely, if ever, dance for fun. they say it's not "fun" but "work" to dance and when they're not working, they don't want to work.

the non-competing dance teachers i know (never competed - they are strictly social) DO dance for fun when they're not working.

as i think about the dance teachers i know, this rule holds at almost 100%.

8. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I think it's possible to do something you love as a profession, BUT!

If you follow the "tried and true" path, (dance instructor, studio manager) it probably won't pay enough. I personally don't think I would have that much fun dealing with beginners all the time. I also believe what they said in "So You Think You Can Dance" when they said that dancers work the hardest and get paid the least.

If you can develop a specialty with a unique angle (event organizer, instructional videos...) that might be lucrative and fun. Of course, this is the much harder path.

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth to that. I love my job and my career. But in making decisions like that, you have to balance some priorities?

1. Can you do whatever it is that you want to do on a daily, disciplined basis, or will that take all the fun out of it?

2. How much time are you able and willing to put in?

3. How much money do you want/need to make at it?

One of the things about dancing (to take a relavant example) is, well, as an instructor starting out, you aren't going to be making a ton of money. That's one of the things you have to think about. If you like having lots of money to spend, will not having it make you resent your career choice? Another is to think about working hours. For example, once again considering a dance instructor, if you are an early-bird type of person, that probably isn't going to work for you -- in most areas, there aren't a lot of people taking dance lessons early in the morning. It works better if you're a late riser; you schedule your first student at, say, 11:00, and then with meal breaks, you can work until 8:00 or 9:00 in the evening.

That pendulum can swing both ways too. Consider the law profession. They make lots of money, but I've known several people who decided to go into law, spent the years at school, finally graduated and got a position at a firm, and then discovered they hated it -- the pushy/sleazy/idiotic clients, the endless uncompensated overtime, the mind-numbing paperwork. If you are in a profession you hate, no amount of money is enough. On the other hand, for someone with a passion for law and a droll sense of humor, law might be perfect.

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

for me, anything that i HAVE to do takes away from its joy..

i like to do something because i want to not because i have to.. simple and goes for all things in life. Accordingly.. dancing as a profession to me is unthinkable.. its one of the few things i do solely for pleasure and i can't afford to lose one ounce of that.

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I'm a late riser and like working in the evening. My body likes it too (we had a discussion about this at a thread about how my body seems to resent early rises so much I have morning sickness every now and then), so considering that it would fit me perfectly.
    About the money... I'm not really all about spending. I gave that up a long time ago. I'd like to make some money, that's for sure, but right now when I don't need to support myself economically and have university to finish, I expect I'll be working just like my teacher does (she's a university student): I'll work weekends, evenings, practice parties and try to balance everything in the best way. This would give me an idea of whether I'd like to make a profession out of this, too: working part-time like this will not be the same as working full time, so I'll see if I like it or if it pushes me into not liking dancing.
    And then again maybe I'll work with my Physics degree in something I like and make money out of it, and still teach dancing for kicks. Why not? ;) :D

Twilight Elena