General Dance Discussion > Would taking dance lessons improve my posture?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Daniel_Kemp, May 13, 2011.

1. Daniel_Kemp

Daniel_Kemp New Member

Hi.

I want to improve my posture.

Would taking dance lessons improve my posture? If they would, then what dance style(s) should I take lessons in?

Thank you,

Daniel Kemp

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Not African or hip hop or krumping!

But, yes, a good teacher who is teaching "European" influenced style (as opposed to "African" influenced or even "authentic" country western) dancing should guide you in the direction of having better posture.

I love Argentine Tango, but wouldn't send an absolute beginner into it.

If you are a beginner, I guess I'd have to say "ballroom". But, it COULD be highly teacher dependent. So, if you are taking lessons and you aren't hearing anything about posture, you are going to want to look elsewhere.

Hey, welcome to DF.

3. Daniel_Kemp

Daniel_Kemp New Member

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply.

Argentine Tango lessons should be done by people who already know another style of dance?

I will look at "ballroom" dancing classes near me.

Thank you again,

Daniel Kemp

4. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Add Lindy Hop to the NOT list, LOL...some of the worst posture dancing I've seen.

But yeah, in general I guess that's one of the benefits (especially ballroom dances like Waltz, Foxtrot, and Tango) because I had a peer remark that I have great posture which I thought was funny because I tend to slouch and/or hunch over and my parents have said repeatedly that I need better posture. I told them what this guy said figuring they'd laugh but they actually agreed; said they'd noticed my posture has significantly improved. :)

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Daniel, welcome! If posture in generally is in the centre, then a ballet dancer would be the first choice. You do not need the ballet stuff, but the body work aspects are untoppable. If you only want to do it in preparation for BR dancing, then a ballet-related gym as Pilates should serve as well. And if you want to start argentine tango it might be better if you actually have done no other style before, because you would have to relearn totally in posture aspects.

6. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

If you are looking to improve your posture and you think dancing looks like fun, then ballroom, esp. waltz, foxtrot, tango, quickstep, is your best bet. If improving posture is the primary goal, there are numerous exercise programs, also popular with dancers, that can give you a more direct route to good posture, such as yoga or pilates.

7. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

From my limited experience, I would suggest Walz, Rumba, and Country Two Step would be helpful in improving posture.

8. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

Bad posture is practically encouraged when it comes to lindy hop and other swing dance styles.

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Welcome to Dance Forums! And I concur with those who recommended ballroom...

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I agree with toothlesstiger--if you want to learn dance for fun and get a posture benefit, ballroom is probably best, but if you're solely interested in improving your posture, pilates is probably a better route.

11. Daniel_Kemp

Daniel_Kemp New Member

Thank you opendoor. What do you mean by the "body work aspects" for ballet?

My primary goal is posture, but I would also like to get the best bang for my time, so if I can learn good posture AND learn to dance, then that would be awesome.

Thanks toothlesstiger.

The Waltz and Rumba seem like they are part of ballroom dancing, so I will look into ballroom dancing (in Korea they call it "Dance Sport").

Thanks Ron AKA.

I don't plan on taking those dance styles anytime soon then. Thanks RoyHarper.

Thank you for the advice Ray.

I will look into taking pilates as well.

Thanks danceronice.

12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Rumba is good for that too.

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi. Ballet is the academic art of dancing. There are different objectives and goals (If you take classes, you learn about music, improvising, and the basic stuff as... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_ballet )

But (and this is what I mean with body work) you learn about balance, you learn to strengthen your adductor muscles, you learn to get an upright posture and to rear your spine, you learn to turn your head, you learn to turn your toes outwards. The correction of the hip/pelvis angle is also very important...

I am a tango dancer and the afore said items are the basic requirements to dance tango properly. If you cannot handle your own axis, how can you dance with another person? I learned all of them and a lot more by a ballet dancer.

14. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Many have already said this and I definitely agree with them that ballroom dancing may be your best bet. A word of caution though, it might be a little hard to shake that 'good posture' off if in the future, you try to go for hip hop or any dances in the likes of it. Don't worry too much about the posture and stuff, just enjoy the dance while you do it!

15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think ballroom dancing is better than ballet or pilates for improving posture for an absolute beginner. I took ballet before ballroom and still never grasped the concepts, and i dont think i would have understood the concepts in pilates had it not been for ballroom.

so i say definitely ballroom.

16. grandcentral

grandcentral New Member

I improved my posture after dancing for a few months. How? I did not do ballroom, so cannot comment. I did a lot of east coast swing and solo night club dancing. Swing dancing helped me with balance and solo dancing exercised the many muscles in my shoulder, abs, and torso so much that the muscle tone in all these muscles has made it more natural to have better posture. Improved posture, although not perfect posture.

Ok so how did I solo dance to develop muscle tone in back, abs, and torso? You move your shoulders to the music, your chest, it is like doing aerobics with different muscles, discovering the muscles and inventing your own solo moves. If you look at these moves and try them and feel the burning in the muscles of your back, you will get my idea.. but i recommend inventing your own moves, so you can listen to the music, and express your feelings through these moves.. ultimately moves you invent are going to come naturally to you and look and feel best and improve posture as well search on youtube for "Hip-Hop Dance Moves : Circling Shoulders Horizontally in Hip Hop Dancing" and the related videos by the same african american guy and you will get my idea

17. Kipling

Kipling New Member

Would it be wierd for a large-framed older (51 y.o.) man (moi) without experience to take ballet lessons? I think it would. i took a ballet class in college and even then I felt an elephant in a china shop, and I weighed 100 pounds less than I do now.

18. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Depends on how you define weird. There's always going to be someone sniggering about it, if you can handle that, go for it.

19. Kipling

Kipling New Member

It would not be a pretty sight. Imagine a flying pig.

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Sure it would be weird! So what?

I've got just about a decade on you and I'm taking African dance.

Honestly, every time I see someone who is "large-framed", etc or "older" (than who? Eeesh to be older than me you'd have to be ?????) doing some physical activity outiside of their comfort zone, I feel respect for them for DOING it.

It will be easier (YOU will be the one who feels most wierd I'd guess, not the other people in the class) if you can find a class for adults. If not, and you really want to do it, get in there with the young people and give it your best.

And, for the record, I've taken hip hop and jazz where I was the only "mature adult" in the room besides the teacher.