Dancers Anonymous > Would you convert?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by africana, Mar 30, 2006.

1. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

I went out with a vegetarian for a long time. I never ate meat around her, nor would I keep any in the fridge or anything. I didn't give up meat entirely, but I never made an issue of it either. I just made a point of ensuring it never came up as an issue.

As a warning... its VERY difficult to get the right balance of nutrition as a vegetarian. You are going to need to really invest in vitamin supplements and pay a lot of attention to what you are eating. and remember the basic rule of survival. Animals survive by running away, so they are generally good to eat. Fruit trees survive by encouraging things things to eat their fruit, they are always good to eat. Vegetables survive by poisoning anything that tries to eat them, so they need to be prepared in specific ways. Talk to a nutritionist and plan out meals.

Travel with a vegetarian is a CURSE. More than anything this drove me to frustration. You can't go anywhere. When you go somewhere, you really want to eat what they eat (but drink only bottled water!) Its fresh, they know how to prepare it, and its what you can find everywhere. With a vegetarian, unless you go to a country with a strong tradition of that, you spend 85% of the time trying to find somewhere to eat.

------
    so my advice is:

- Don't just stop eating meat. Just don't do it around them. Never bring it up, and never let them make an issue of it.

- Talk to a nutritionist. Plan out balanced, healthy meals. (which is good to do anyway, for a vegetarian, its essential.)

- Don't travel together. (or if you do, you must reach an agreement to go in with an open mind about eating... just accept it for what it is. Leave the value judgements and moral crusades about food back home.)

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I was vegaterian for a couple of years while I was a student. What irked me about vegetarians isn't that they didn't appreciate what they were eating. For me I was exploring lots of new foods and from other cultures' cooking as well. For them it was all about the ethical issue about animal rights.

Then I became dairy intolerant and I get run down if I don't eat a reasonble amount of animal protein. I also got some advice from a nutritionist who was getting hacked off with anaemic women who needed to eat meat. He believed that only certain races were adapted to survive on a vegatable only diet (Mostly people from India)

Although its a while since I gutted any animal; I would rather eat a free range chicken and promote a reasonable life for the creature than live off tofu. So I would be sensitive to another persons needs if they were to mine.

How I love roast pork and sausages

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I agree that the important question is why he's a vegetarian. If it's primarily for what he considers health reasons, you probably wouldn't have to completely convert, even if you did end up adjusting your diet to focus mostly on vegetables when you ate with him. That seems doable, if the relationship is important to you.

But it might be another thing if it's for moral or philosophical reasons. If you don't share his views, I think it would be hard to become a total vegetarian just to make the relationship possible. I know eventually I would feel resentful of having to adhere to something I didn't believe in, but continuing to eat meat on your own might be problem, too. I once went out with a guy who was a vegetarian for what he considered important moral reasons. I didn't eat meat when we were together. He didn't make an issue of it, but I felt that if the relationship progressed, it would be a source of tension if I continually did something he considered morally wrong. As it turned out, while we were dating he went to an animal rights conference and fell head over heels in love with another confirmed vegetarian, so the issue never arose for us. He was pretty rational and easy going in his views when I knew him, but a few years later I saw him on TV leading some animal rights picket. It would never have worked!

4. new-ish

new-ish New Member

mmmmmmm! eggs, bacon, herb crusted salmon, carne asada tacos...

guess not :lol:

5. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

In a Word - NO

I would die of malnutrition. I hate vegetables.

And I love Pig/Chicken/Turkey/Cow too much.

6. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

mmm... had a Buddist restraunt near me that served "Wu Hun Style General Tso Chicken" .... -very- tasty. (Its really hard to find General Tso Chicken outside of North America though... I feel really bad for all the Chinese who have never had "real" Chinese food. hehe.)

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

:D My DW's stepmother is from Italy. We were talking about pizza one day, and she said that pizza as we know it is entirely an American creation. She said that if we went to a restraunt in Italy and ordered pizza, we'd hate it. :shock:

8. amrimi

amrimi New Member

What was your reason for that? I've quit eating beef around 1990. When several european countries issued import bans on british beef due to mad cow disease.

9. amrimi

amrimi New Member

I love the italian kind of pizza and hate the american variation. But then I spend all my childhood summers in italy.

10. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I've been a vegetarian for eight years now. I converted at the same time as my then boyfriend (now husband) so luckily we have always been on the same page as far as eating meat goes.

If he did want to start eating meat again, I'd probably ask that we designate selected pans and utensils as 'meat only' and make meals so that he could add meat after it is prepared.

As side note, I've found people's response to vegetarianism can be a bit odd. I'm from the "meat and potatoes" Midwest and people often take it as an invitation to lecture me on nutrition. Meanwhile they're eating a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a soda. Which is kind of irritating since I never discuss why I'm a vegetarian unless asked and certainly don't tell other people what they should/shouldn't be eating. Oh well, I'm sure they mean well.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah i started to respond to some of the stuff in this thread, but deleted it. it's kind of hilarious what passes for nutritional knowledge.

i eat meat but i recognize it for what it is: historically, a luxury, a condiment, a fantasy. so when people (in the most obese country in the world of all time) start to beat my formerly vegetarian ear about how carefully one must PLAN and ARRANGE to live a healthy vegetarian life, i usually ask them a few basic nutrition questions. inevitably, they cannot answer them, and reply with cliched generalizations about vitamins and protein and human evolution (i'm usually laughing outright at that point. what's next, your riff on darwinism? spare me.)

12. wyllo

wyllo New Member

yep. :)

13. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

well, to me, that describes your own post exactly.

You'll have a hard time finding any reputable pro-vegetarian cookbook or website without a lot of hedging about a "well-planned" diet.... and for good reason. It needs to be well-planed. Just simple things like tofu or soy milk being virtually your only sources of protein, iron, calcium and zinc is pretty basic. Things like Vitamin D or B12 are just really problematic to get as a vegetarian.

Keeping calorie levels up can be very hard; fiber will fill you up fast. If you are someone who already trouble maintaining bodyweight, it can be a significant problem.

You generally have a very difficult time beating "traditional" menus in terms of nutrition. Given the food locally available in an area, they are usually about as good as you can do. (and I think there is a lot of "darwinism" in that... you eat healthy... you do better. I wonder if in 2000 years people will talk about the "cheeseburger" as a major factor in the decline of western civilization.) As a general principle... the wider variety of food you eat, the better off you are going to be.

There are a lot of good reasons to be vegetarian... nutrition isn't on that list.

14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

There is no way in heaven, hell, earth or ANYWHERE I'd do it!

FWIW, I've seen people go on militantly strict vegetarian diets, and their personality changed (as in becoming VERY edgy and mean) and in addition having far MORE health problems than usual.

Nooooo thank you! :thumbsdown: :eek:

15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Here in the U.S., I'm not allowed to donate blood because I've spent too much time in England. They're afraid I might be carrying mad cow disease!

16. There's been mad cow cases in the U.S. too. I guess ours are only isolated cases.....hmmmm

I read awhile back that the U.S. recently banned selling downed cattle. Does this mean they've been selling it here before? Japan tests every cow for madcow, whereas the U.S. test something like 1 out of 1000. The government says everything's OK, meanwhile 30 countries ban U.S. chicken and beef. Do they know something that we don't know?

Who knows how safe our food supply is, but I've decided to quit eating chicken and beef as a silent protest to the cutback on food inspectors as well as just cutting back on eating too much red meat (in the case of beef). Of course, you can find problems with just about any type of food.

I have no problem with people eating whatever they feel comfortable with.

17. africana

africana New Member

:lol: this post made me laugh out loud, same reason why dieting makes people cranky

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dieting doesn't make people cranky.

Unsuccessful dieting makes people cranky. :D

19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

How about unintended dieting?

Twilight Elena

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends...is it working? My current "diet" started that way. I don't really consider it a diet, though, so much as changing the way I eat.