Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Would you dance on DWTS?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by SPratt74, Mar 30, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you no matter if you are professional or not would go and dance on the show. I don't know if I would or not. It would be fun if I were at the level where I could teach, but I don't know if it would be worth my time. I guess the teachers get paid good money, right? But would it be worth your time though to go and perform? And if you don't want to go if invited, what would be your reasons for not wanting to go on the show?

2. Ralph

Ralph New Member

I would do it without a doubt!

3. chandra

chandra New Member

Haha, Id love to be one of the celebrities! All those free lessons!

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I so know what you mean! They have no idea how good they have it when they dance with their professionals! They say that they do, but I don't know if they truly understand how lucky they really are! ;)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No stinking way would I go on national TV and risk being scrutinized everywhere, the way these folks are. Have you been over to the ABC discussion boards? Eeek! No way.

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh yeah I was there over on the ABC boards, and I used to give very harsh criticisms! (Although, I thought the second season was much better than the first, so there really wasn't a need for that at all! They all did a great job with attitude and everything else!) But you know with the type of life that I have led, I have heard everything! In fact I get a kick out of these model shows etc. where the women go home crying because someone told them they didn't look right for one pose etc. I would be like, can you please tell me something I haven't been told before lol?

In fact, Janice Dickenson that used to be on the Tyra Banks show seems nice compared to some people that I have known over the years lol. So, to me, really that type of stuff doesn't hurt me. The only stuff that does hurt me is when someone attacks me personally and that person has to be someone that I really care about and they have to know what type of stuff to dish out. Otherwise, I just roll my eyes, and/or take in and try to improve on what people tell me when I get criticized! ;)

7. newdancer113

newdancer113 New Member

Yeah, 30-40 hours a week of free lessons!! It would be cool to see how much I could improve with that kind of concentrated effort. Where can I sign up?

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto!!! Count me in!!! :D :D :D

9. pygmalion

Yeah. Count me in for 30-40 hours of dance per week. But the TV exposure would suck, IMO. So can we not come up with a lottery-winning or bank-heisting plan that involves my having enough cash to pay for 40 hours of lessons a week? In could really get behind that!!! :lol:

10. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

I'd love to do it..but I be terrified of not doing well and getting ridiculed and picked apart on national TV. That's a national outlet that the media feeds off of in a frenzy. YIKES !!!!!:eek:

11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oh, if I was one of the ams, I'd do it in a minute! I have no fear of stuff like that any more. However...

As for the pros: I've been told, from someone that had an opportunity to do the show and turned it down, that the pay is not all that great. They get paid about the same as their normal teaching rate, plus just a little bit more for their expenses. The pros who do the show do it mainly for the national exposure that they get.

12. pygmalion

There's no way I'd do it, but it's not about fear, cornutt. I just (kick me for being a snob) consider myself above the sort of stuff that happens on TV reality shows. I don't want to be a part of it. The semi-unlimited dance instruction I'd sign up for in a minute. But being on national TV? Blech!!!

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You know it's almost to bad that they still don't have Ballroom Bootcamp! I could see you being on a show more like that than DWTS. That show was awesome too, and I so miss it! I watched it on a regular basis!

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Ummmm... Lemme think about this for a second.....

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

<crickets>

Uh.....

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

<more crickets>

YEAH! DUH!

15. Laura

Laura New Member

Sure, I'd do it -- but only if I could be the student. I would so love to get that much dance instruction AND get paid for it. But I'm not a celebrity so that will never happen for me....

16. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Well, not being a celebrity it's hard to judge what I'd do in that situation---I too loved Ballroom Bootcamp and found it much more inspiring than DWTS--with the celebrities you never knew when they weren't "acting"--people's lives in BB were authentically changed, it seemed to me, and I could identify with them.

17. monicadances

monicadances New Member

I agree. I have been asked to be on the show. Refused for the very same reasons you have summed up here... I'd rather keep my self-respect.

18. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

That's true. Some of the pros are (were) located here in the bay area. Cheryl was the SFOpen, just as a spectator I believe. She was even called out on to the floor at some point just to say hi. I also know from students that rates of some (all?) of the pros have increased after the show.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah same here! I absolutely loved it when you would see the makeovers. I think my favorite was Katherine just cause she was so down on herself. The other favorite of mine was a girl they completely transformed into a lady and she lost a bunch of weight. That was very cool to see. ;)

20. Laura

Laura New Member

One of my husband's sisters works for the production company that made "Ballroom Bootcamp," and she told me it was TLC's second-most popular show after "What Not To Wear." So, I'm kind of amazed that they didn't bring it back for another season. My sister-in-law didn't say why, though.