General Dance Discussion > would you date or marry someone who is not a dancer?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by yoyao, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Rosa

Rosa New Member

The other side of the question is, what happens when you're already married when you take up Salsa, as I was? It quickly became an important part of my life but my husband doesn't want to try it. He doesn't particularly like the music, either. (Luckily, as I work freelance, I can listen to it all day long if I want to!)

I don't feel resentful about that, we're individuals and he gives me lots of other things apart from dancing. He also has interests of his own which I don't share, so fair enough.

Looking back on it, if I had the choice, I'd have preferred to marry a dancer. But we can't choose who we fall in love with, so I didn't have the choice. I just accept things the way they are (and enjoy my Salsa, too! 8) :D )

Rosa :)

2. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

lol I was only joking... but as the saying goes.. it takes two to Tango... :)

3. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

el tiburon, dude....

4. lujan

lujan New Member

I can't remember if I've said this before, but anyway...

One of the things that has kept me reserved about dating a girl from dancing, especially Irish dancing, which is a part of a much larger Irish community, is that you only really get one maybe two chances. Especially if you pick the wrong girl, and things go bad.

5. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

wow..this thread is quite helpful. im in a serious relationship right now, and my boyfriend will eventually become my husband. and he doesnt support my dancing. i told him that i would continue to do whatever makes me happy, whether its with or without him. and hes said fine fine whatever. ive tried getting him involved but that didnt work. he wont even come to my competitions or practices or anything that has to do with dance for that matter. not supportive at all.. but i've realized that i dont need his support (even though it'd be nice) because im not doing this for anyone else but myself. it makes me happy and thats all that matters!!!

6. alemana

alemana New Member

doesn't sound like husband material to me.

7. chandra

chandra New Member

Poor sagitta :wink:
    dont worry, we believe you. :D

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

oh please. any guy who gets told:

isn't getting much of a deal either.

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I think you two have to really sit down and discuss this one. "Fine, fine, whatever" may be him thinking, "Oh, she'll just give it up sooner or later" and when you don't, it could cause a conflict. Is he really that accepting of your love of dance? I am married to a non-dancer, someone who isn't the LEAST interested in dance, but he knows I love to dance and has no problem at all giving me my space when I want it (My #1 love is travel- two months out of the year- at this time he misses me but he knows I need to do this to maintain my sanity!)

10. lujan

lujan New Member

I feel silly quoting myself, but, last week I took the plunge, and am now with a girl from one of my irish dancing classes. We've been dating for a month or so, but 'just friends'. Here's hoping it works.

ChaChaLicious, I concur with whats been said, you really need to talk. My last serious relationship of 3 years had me not dancing for most of it, because gradually I got called more and more, 'where are you, when are you coming home', then it started 'gee, you were dancing really close with that girl...' As long as your boyfriend is secure, and understands that dancing is not something you are going to 'grow out' of.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I had a feeling you were thinking about it. Good luck. :D

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto! :)

13. lujan

lujan New Member

Last night was our first night at our dance group as a couple. Went quite well, we danced a set together, and then she spent the rest of the night dancing as a guy cause there were twice the number of women as men, as usual :)

14. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Never dated a dancer before, until now. Haven't actually done the "let's go out to somewhere other than the studio and dance" thing yet, but it's good to know that it's now a possibility. It's more that he has similar interests to me in that when something is mentioned about dance, both our ears perk up and take notice. It's not a case of "Oh no, here she goes again with her dancing thing". We both understand what it is about dancing that draws us to it.

Might start taking classes elsewhere together at some stage. Have thought about it before, but thought it was a waste of time because I wouldn't be able to dance it by myself. Of course we don't want to get to the point that the only interest we have is dancing. But it's great that we share it and I don't have to drag him along to other dancing events. :D

15. africana

africana New Member

bump for tacad ;)

16. tacad

tacad New Member

Oh. I was looking in the salsa forum. I'll have to start a new thread to ask my salsa question. But Dancing with Stars is coming on so I'll ask in an hour.

17. pygmalion

Sounds like a promising start. 8) :)

18. luh

luh Active Member

it gets more and more unlikely. Now that've figured that there are people in my age dancing,i don't see any reason of dating someone who is not a dancer. Also - all my friends are dancers. Or at least most of them, and it wouldn't be uncommon to find someone in the circle of friends.
    luh

19. pygmalion

What about all the dance-relationship adversity we keep hearing about in various threads? :?

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've never said no. I manage just fine...thanks.. :wink: 8)