General Dance Discussion > would you date or marry someone who is not a dancer?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by yoyao, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

hmmm.... I think this says more about you than it says about me :wink:

2. JenSwayze

JenSwayze New Member

hmmm

date or marry someone who was not a dancer? i cant even FIND a dancer :lol: well a compatable one, so i guess i dont have that problem. Except for im married to patrick. alright ill stop with that :lol:

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Well, I have asked him repeatedly but he always declines. Maybe I can in the future.. :?

4. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Given the low probability of an addict dancer to date a non-dancer, would it be important to have your significant other to be your dance partner as well? Does it work if one or both of you have separate dance partners?

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

My significant other, my wife Carolyn, is not my dance partner. We both have separate dance partners, and it works very well. We have our reasons for not dancing together in competition - the main one being that most of the couples that we see and know, that are dating or married to each other, are always fighting. During practice, after practice they go home angry at each other, during a competition they don't speak to each other, and if they do not win, show, or place . . . . look out. We just don't want to open that door.

We know that is not true in every case.

As an ending note, we dance very, very well together. Carolyn is an absolute great follower, and we can dance and play like there is no tomorrow. We are always asked why we do not compete together, and we relate to them what I just told you!

6. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I feel compelled to respond...

My life is dance...it's the first thing I think about when I wake in the morning and it's what I dream about when I'm asleep. I spend my days at work (in my office cube at my non-dance related job) dreaming about dance and losing myself in the plethora of dance photos plastered to the walls of my cube.

Alas, my FANTASTIC husband-to-be is NOT a dancer. Shock...gasp... It's simply not his thing. He does however, make the effort to try dance from time to time. He has on several occassions ventured into a linedance lesson with me and likes to frequent clubs for a mix of the dance scene. He's considering taking ballroom lessons for our wedding next October...we'll see where that gets.

What I really admire about my fiance, though, is his ability to understand what dance is to me. He knows it is more than a hobby...it's a passion and a way of life. He doesn't grumble as I go to my dance classes (nearly every night of the week), he patiently waits as I spend hours (literally) browsing through the dance store, he doesn't flinch when I drop hords of money on shoes and costumes. He simply accepts that dance is a part of me, I am a dancer and that it is my way of being.

So in response to this forum...yes, I am dating and will be marrying a non-dancer.

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Don't let that one go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You know what, MissAlyssa? It's okay for you two to have separate parts of your lives. What matters is that the two of you love each other and allow each other to pursue happiness in your own ways.

My Mom is a quilt FANATIC. My Dad teaches sign language. He like to go out. She likes to stay in. He likes adventure. She likes the familiar. She likes to garden. He likes to lounge. No overlap at all. And you know what? They've been happily married for fifty-five years.

9. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Sounds like a vice decision. :D

I’ve seen the small problems in the luggage from home, being tripled at the dance lessons, and then dragged back home again. :cry: :cry: :cry:

10. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Dang, I sound like your dad...

11. pygmalion

Me too. Especially the lounge part. :lol:

12. pygmalion

Okay. So I met a new guy. Way handsome. Emotionally mature and secure. And not a dancer. :cry: What do I do? :shock: :D

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Teach him! :D

14. pygmalion

Dancing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good idea.

15. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Yes, dancing! Teach him how to dance!!! Can be VERY romantic!!! :wink:

16. SDsalsaguy

Which isn't, of course, to say that teaching him some other stuff might not also be equally romantic :wink:

17. pygmalion

... or even more so !!! :lol: :lol:

18. SDsalsaguy

:oops: *blush* :oops:

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Congratulations on the prospect! This calls for ice cream!!

20. SDsalsaguy

Assuming dd hasn't finished it all of course! :lol: