Salsa > Would you like to be told? How?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I have mentioned that before, but that doesn't mean it bothers her too much that she doesn't want to dance. It can help if you have a towel, dry yourself between dances, etc. (as long as it's odorless). One of the guys I dance with has really sweaty hands and my hands slip from his during dancing, so if he dries he hands between dances, it does help.

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Sorry to break this to you, but I've always been a bit dubious about this. My impression (formed based on my experience of dancing with guys wearing sports shirts) is that this sort of material (as you say) wicks sweat away from the skin to the outside of the fabric, where the partner has to touch. So the result is that the wearer feels dry and comfortable but whoever dances with them still gets the full effect of their perspiration... and because the wearer feels dry, they don't change shirts as often as those wearing cotton shirts :-(. I know guys who takes 3-4 shirts when going to a club, and I think that's a better strategy if you sweat a lot.

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Yup, and certain diets can contribute to halitosis, no matter how much one brushes, flosses and uses mouthwash.

4. englezul

englezul New Member

Look, when we talk, if I were to treat every special case which may occur, i'd be writing volumes. I have to approach this intelligently, and thus, talk about a representative sample of people who have bad odor/bad breath and frequent salsa clubs. I believe I'm accurate when I say that the representative sample of people who smell in the salsa scene is made by people with poor hygiene. Sure there may be one who suffers from some disease here and there, but I personally haven't met any, and I meet a lot of people. What I know is that whenever someone smells and I look at them, their overall appearence is at best sloppy. So in one of these instances I'm more inclined to think they didn't pay attention to their hygiene (as they don't pay attention to other things about them) than they smell because of some condition. This is not to say the reciprocal is true, cause I get the feeling someone will think it's worth their time raising that objection.

But, in all honesty what it comes down to, is that whether they have bad hygiene or suffer from something, they aren't the people I'm likely to be around. I think it's terrible to suffer from a disease like this, but that is not my problem.

5. nikita

nikita New Member

Our body and sweat smells after what we eat. So if we eat strawberries and bananas we smell like strawberries and bananas:banana: .
    But when we eat onions, garlic, porcmeat a.s.o. we smell after those things:-? .Worst in combination with tabac and alcohol:raisebro: .

6. DCR

DCR Member

If a guy continues to spin a lady and gets hit in the face with her hair,that's his problem.

7. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Hee hee, thank you!

8. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

Yeah I agree with that. I kind of like it when it hits me in the face though. :) Except when it's in a ponytail or a braid. Ouch, that can be brutal. But as you said the solution is easy, don't spin her so much (or learn to duck).

9. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

10. africana

africana New Member

so how do you go about telling someone that they stink a lot?

Nobody likes doing it. It's like pulling teeth...but it's good for them lol. I haven't had the guts to do it to a partner, but I've tried telling a girl friend of mine...didn't work

11. kfineyouw1n

kfineyouw1n New Member

Body odor usually turns me off..regardless of how much fun dancing with her can be. It's hard to let someone know..and I think it's just best to be humble about it...

Or maybe if you know them well enough you can get him/her cologne/perfume on their B-Day..and tell them how much you love the smell, and that they should wear everytime you see them. Oh and spray lots of it cuz you love the smell.

Or if you're brave tell him/her...MAYBE after a couple of drinks.., but I agree that it's better for a close friend or a family/relative to do it, and make sure its not the opposite sex telling them. More comfortable if the same sex lets them know.

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I'd like to be told. But I'd like it to be from someone I know, so that I know s/he isn't doing it to spite me or make me feel bad.

T_E

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Cologne/perfume doesn't work. It usually blends with BO and makes it worse.

T_E

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Agreed. Perfume + BO = much worse BO

(My opinion, only, of course.)

Yes. I'd be mortified, but the mortification would pass. I'd rather be told. And the sooner the better. Preferably by a friend. Of course, most likely the only person who'd risk the embarrassment (of telling me) for my sake would be a friend. Enemies and acquaintances just talk bad behind your back. :lol:

15. englezul

englezul New Member

A cologne is not supposed to be an antiperspirant. Deodorants do that.
    Cologne is supposed to make you smell good after having gotten perspiration under control.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. :cool:

To me, there are three -- no. Four different functions that all contribute to smelling good (or at least not smelling bad) when you're dancing or doing anything else.

1. Bathing regularly so you start with a clean, nice smelling body
    2. an antiperspirant to minimize the possibility of sweating all over others (But still. We're human, and humans sweat when involved in physical activity. Plenty of threads on that, btw.)
    3. A deodorant, which one uses for obvious reasons -- to deodorize lol.
    4. Perfume or cologne.

For me -- functions 2 and 3 are combined, since I use a product that's both antiperspirant and deodorant.

And 4 doesn't happen, since perfume or cologne, even in very small amounts, cause my gag reflex to kick in. And I'm not by any means the only one. When going out dancing, I'd be very careful about drowning myself in cologne. Lots of folks are sensitive to it or even allergic to it. To those folks, cologne doesn't make you smell good. It makes you someone to avoid.

My $0.02.

17. kfineyouw1n

kfineyouw1n New Member

Hmmm ok..maybe I should've said Axe body spray instead of cologne/perfume.

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Is it possible to have beer nostrils? Maybe after YOU have a couple of drinks, he/she'll smell better. :D

19. kfineyouw1n

kfineyouw1n New Member

I don't think a couple of drinks would work...more like a couple of shots + couple of drinks. Then maybe the beer nostrils would kick in.

20. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Be carefull though, after one too many drink, the bad smell might actually be coming from very, very close to your nose...