Salsa > Would you like to be told? How?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by africana, Jul 13, 2006.

1. carrigallen

carrigallen New Member

IME, you can't get bad BO after just two hours of salsa dancing. Sweat takes a good 3-4 hours before it becomes ripe and rank enough for your partner to notice. I think that most guys with bad BO are wearing shirts recycled from the laundry basket, or else went straight from the gym to the dancefloor.

2. GayleR

GayleR New Member

I am really aware of stuff like this on others, so I would want someone to nicely tell me if my nails are too long, or my hair is getting in the way, or even if I need a piece of gum.

Recently I took an advanced group class at a club and there was a concurrent class for beginners. At the end of the class, I overheard the instructor provide some basic information to the students which was great and should be offered more often. Even though all common sense so many people are oblivious.

For example:
    -Don't eat onions, garlic or strong foods before you go dancing
    -Always have gum/mints
    -If you perspire heavily bring shirts to change into as well as deoderant (and go to the washroom to change)
    -Don't wear a ton of perfume or cologne
    -Carry Purell
    -If you sneeze excuse yourself, go into the washroom to blow your nose and wash your hands
    -Tie your hair back
    -Bring a small hand towel
    -Trim your nails and make sure they're clean
    -Bring a change of shoes (not obvious to beginners)
    -Don't correct your partner unless they ask
    -Remember everyone was a beginner once
    -Smile
    -Thank the person after the dance
    -Have fun

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. That sounds like a good teacher, GayleR. I really wish more beginner classes provided info like that, even if only in printed form. People just don't know the etiquette or how they are being perceived, a lot of the time. They're not thoughtless or malicious. They just don't know... which I bet has happened to most of us, in some context or the other.

But, if somebody'd tell us outright, in a general way ... wow. That could really help.

4. amo_dile_que_no

amo_dile_que_no New Member

If you haven't looked at Edie the Salsa Freak's website I recommend it. She mentions this kind of stuff and a lot more (she is very frank ;)). It's a hoot.

I can attest that GayleR is the epitome of etiquette. I had the pleasure to dance with her at the Toronto Salsa Congress, recently. It was a real pleasure, she's a wonderful dancer. Thanks again Gayle.

5. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I have to learn how to accept criticism without defending myself. I'm getting better at it. And i'm used to it from drama. I just get frustrated when it's about my technique and i can't apply the advice right away. I always want to be perfect right NOW.

6. Catarina

Catarina New Member

I feel the need to preface this with the disclaimer of: I enjoy brushing my teeth, wearing deo/antiperspirant, moderate amounts of scented body lotion or perfume, and I keep my nails short....but I was so guilty of eating forbidden dancing foods a couple weeks ago! We went out as a family to the place I love to dance on Saturdays, and unbeknownst to me, my fish was caked in a garlic! So I became scented with a delightful blend of garlic, ginger, and who knows what else! I didn't realize it, and thankfully my sister pointed it out :shock:(not very nicely as everyone is recommending, I want to add).

So, I'm grateful that no one else pointed it out, as I really wasn't there to dance that night...good thing, as once I knew what my lovely smell was, I would have been way too self-conscious to be within arms reach of anyone!!!

More on topic:
    I think that those who are oblivious to their offense against others when dancing, be it smell, sweat, breath, whatever, are generally oblivious to that offense in the rest of their life...as most of their life is spent non-salsa dancing. But, if it's something that salsa dancing elicits (gross sweaty shirts...) or that is highlighted by salsa dancing (talon-like nails), that would be something I'd advocate a friend, dance buddy, really bold-but nice person-point out. But stuff like breath & BO, that's probably consistent with their general awareness of their smell in the world, and may not be remedied by a salsera/o pointing it out....:|

7. GayleR

GayleR New Member

How sweet are you! The pleasure was all mine.

8. HF

HF New Member

I once told a girl that her deodorant maybe was not working any more. Tried to be as politeful as possible.

She answered that this was a general problem of her and the only way to avoid it was to use chemical sweat stoppers that had secondary actions on her health. And the fact that I told her would force her to use them again.

I wished I did not tell her and will certainly keep my mouth in future.

Hannes

9. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac New Member

Ack! I'm never sure how to broach this topic with people I know have this problem. I know someone who, shall we say, has a particularly odoriferous emanation when she works up a sweat. For the most part, I try to get in a dance with her early in the night so as not to face this but last weeked was a nightmare because she kept on latching herself to me during a salsa song close to the end of the night :sad: Needless to say, I simply could not get the scent off me until I got home and took a shower!

--T

10. salsera

salsera New Member

This thread is too funny!!! I noticed at all the lessons I've been too all over the world, there is always one person there with horrible BO. I call him "that guy." Anyway, I usually just grin and bear it when dancing with "that guy."

I usually don't mind sweating as long as it is not leaking on my body. The thing is it is actually healthy to sweat! If you are dancing the night away, you SHOULD be sweating. If you are not, you should be worried about your health.

I don't care how bad whatever the smell is, I would never be so rude to tell someone that I don't know that they smell horrible.

11. gte692h

gte692h Member

i carry listerine pocket packs on me all the time. If I'm talking to someone and they have bad breath, I insist they have two. They usually get the hint.

maybe i should carry deodorant spray on me , and start spraying it on somebody when they're not looking ;)

12. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Almost unrelated, I taught a class at the University last year and some of those kids really honked! Was delighted to see a particularly shy and dress-down girl out and about the other week and she'd really flowered!

Ah, the power of salsa to civilize people...

13. naturallove

naturallove New Member

Ah yes-but the problem is, 'that guy' has leaked his BO-ridden sweat onto me. I know you get funky dancing sometimes (happens to all of us!) but for you to be making other people smell is really downright unfair. Salsa is just too much of a contact sport not to be considerate of the way you smell to to other people. (As an aside, I also place strong cologne and perfume in this category as well!) Some of us have talked about how to tell this guy the truth, but sadly, there is just no polite way to broach the subject in salsa or in life.

There was another guy yesterday who I danced with who smoked. Lo and behold, I smelled like cigarettes where he'd touched me. So, am I to seem like a witch for not dancing with him, or just tell him that I don't want to smell like a chimney after one song? I feel like I just can't win.

14. salsamale

salsamale New Member

There is one salsera, who, I think, has a tendency to fart (silent) when she spins. I don't know if it is just with me, or if she does this with all salseros. I won't ever mention it to her, of course, since there is no way to be 100% sure she is at fault, but it is becoming statistically significant. Since she is a wonderfully light follow, I will still ask her to dance, and be grateful whenever she says yes :).

15. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

[​IMG], that could be used as a weapon.

16. Big10

Big10 Member

How do you hold her hand while spinning her? Are you perhaps pulling her finger? :rolleyes:

17. sweavo

sweavo New Member

hahahah! don't forget whatever the problem, it's the leader's fault :p

18. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

It all depends on who says it and how it's said.

Close friends should tell you if there's something about you that turns people off. This way, you can deal with the problem and it'll make your life easier. Some good opportunities can be lost if you don't know certain things about yourself.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just don't spin her. ;-)

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

maybe suggest she lays off the rice & beans before dancing...:rolleyes: