General Dance Discussion > Would you prefer to partner someone better or worse than you?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Nov 2, 2009.

?

Would you prefer to partner someone better or worse than you?

1. I am a follower and would prefer a partner who is better than I

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. I am a follower and would prefer a partner who is worse than I

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. I am a leader and would prefer a partner who is better than I

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. I am a leader and would prefer a partner who is worse than I

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Heh. Then I don't even consider the person as partner. I will definetely check before heading to the direction.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh. :)

OK, been meaning to ask, what kinda pup is that in your avatar?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

boston terrier?

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

That was my first thought, since old neighbor had one, but not sure. :) Might be french bulldog too

5. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Boston Terrier indeed. my favorite breed!!!! I am kind of addicted to the breed hehehe.....

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, good breed. all the ones I've met were EXTREMELY friendly. to point of being kind of goofy. :)

7. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I fell in love with the breed a few years ago. My neighbor had one and saw the dog in the elevator. Like you said the puppy was kinda silly. Tried to play with me. Loved the big head, big eyes, small body, short legs, and the color of the puppy.....

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

defintiely a breed I can get along with. :) Can't remember if they bother my allergies, but dont' think so. always used to play with neighbor's dog while we sat and talked.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

IME, the tendency to boss a follow around in inversely proportional to the lead's dance ability. (The better the dancer, the less bossy he is!) Give me a newbie lead who's a little more hesitant any day. Him I can encourage to be more...not bossy, but definitive. The guy who thinks leading means pushing the follow around? He's not going to listen to anyting shy of "OW! You almost broke my arm!"

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

meh...I think it is about the guy...some are bossy...some aren't

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Agree. Totally agree.

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

And of course same applies to women. :)

13. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

How can anyone be bossy to a lady, I'd feel awful. :(

It's true what they say... you are what you eat and these cakes make me too soft.

14. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Keep eating FD!!! I recommend it.:)

15. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

If you have time to elaborate, would you please? As a follower, I'm just curious why choose a less experienced leader to partner (assuming there is a choice and other factors being equal). My choice is different obviously.

16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Ya know, I chose the 'more experienced' partner answer, because I only have one regular partner, and that's my pro. :)

However......if a gentleman were to come to the studio with a desire to learn standard, and was looking for a partner, I'd be all over that. ;-)

It never hurts to go back to the basics, and having someone to practice with would be priceless.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

He is not really your partner, he is your teacher.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Well, yes and no. It's definitely a partnership, with what that entails. but it's a VERY different relationship than an am/am partnership, as Joe knows better than me.

19. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

*sigh* Ok...let me clarify. I used (or misused, I suppose) the word 'partner' in the general sense....as in the male person with whom I dance. I know there is a difference between my teacher and an amature partner.

20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I agree that dancing pro-am with one's instructor is different than an amateur partner insofar as that in most cases, one's instructor's dance skills are not challenged by the level of dancing the pro-am dancer does.

But, relevantly to this poll, if you are dancing pro-am, you have already in a sense voted with your wallet on the question of "Would you prefer to partner someone better or worse than you?"

YES, I'm aware that there are more women than men in the ballroom, and that some people may feel like they have "no choice" but to dance pro-am. But there is almost always a choice of some kind. It may mean an amateur partner who is a weaker dancer, and/or less committed, and/or lives at an inconvenient distance, and/or needs incentives to be convinced that competing would be fun, but that person is still a choice.

I have started doing pro-am, and heck yes, one of the reasons is that I thought it would be fun to dance with someone who is a ton better than I am!

I still dance amateur and enjoy that as well.