General Dance Discussion > Would you prefer to partner someone better or worse than you?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Nov 2, 2009.

?

Would you prefer to partner someone better or worse than you?

1. I am a follower and would prefer a partner who is better than I

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. I am a follower and would prefer a partner who is worse than I

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. I am a leader and would prefer a partner who is better than I

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. I am a leader and would prefer a partner who is worse than I

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thank you to the person who PMed me. :)

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Good point. :)

3. Terpsichorean Clod

Not necessarily gender divide. I suppose a bit has to do with my area, but I do know a lot of ladies who have zero following experience. Oddly, I've actually had a lot more partnered training as a follower. :shock: ;)

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Eh? :confused:

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Ah, so you're the boss! ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Yes, please, if you have time? :)

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think it depends on your goals. Maybe it relates to skating (where time pressure plus limited availability of partners means a significant skill or goal or availability mismatch means it's really not worth wasting your time on a partnership) but for me, while I might be able to find SOMEONE to dance with even if they probably wouldn't make a decent competitive match, I'd rather pay the money for a pro and just compete now rather than worry about it.

Style I think affects availability--I probably could figure something out if I wanted to dance amateur Standard but I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a salad fork than do Standard even with a pro. (Unless I could get my *Rhythm/Latin* pro to do Standard, but that would be strictly to mess with people.) I could find someone for Latin, if I looked hard, but Latin is not my strongest suit. Rhythm partners are a lot thinner on the ground.

There may be *choice*, but sometimes it's not much of one.

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Especially if you're too picky! :p
    Not singling you out, but cannot tell you how many times I have known people looking for partners, and I keep my eyes and ears open for them and give them suggestions, and there is ALWAYS something wrong with the potential partner. The person is shot down even before contact is made or a try-out is attempted. So I rarely bother trying to help anymore. Not worth my time and energy.

Will elaborate on my poll choice soon, I promise.

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmmmm, any of these follows looking for less talented leaders in Chicago area? :D

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Why, do you know of one? :tongue:

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

besides all that...he has a practice partner any time he feels like a short drive

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hehe, not sure about short drive, but I do need to head down there some weekend. Can't forget that I'm in FAR north suburbs. :) Not the next two weekends, of course.

13. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

"Almost" being the key word in that paragraph. Almost, but not always. I am the ONLY amature competitive standard dancer in my county. There would very likely be a deeper pool of leads to draw from in the large city south of me, but there I'm competing with many younger, thinner, and more experienced follows for any available leads, so I'm quite realistic as to what would come of that.

Weaker dancer = not a problem
    Less committed = don't really see the point except as practice partner
    Inconvenient distance = we could work around this
    Needs incentive to compete = then he's not looking for a 'competetive' partner anyway, right?

So, theoretically, there is a choice....realistically from my vantage point...eh, not so much. :)

14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

And I completely validate that choice, not to go with the less committed partner! (Or in DOI's case, not to switch styles or drive to the ends of the earth looking for a rhythm partner.)

I just think it is important to acknowledge that one has choices. The options may not be palatable, but they exist. And really, everything is a trade off. The less committed partner amateur partner, for example, would allow one to compete at vastly more affordable amateur comps, participate and network in the amateur community, and theoretically grow with someone...but there would be that nagging problem of the person being less committed, which might mean you wouldn't really grow together. So maybe it would be better to just pay the pro and dance pro-am. The trade-off there might be getting to do fewer comps (unless your dance budget is infinitely fungible)...but hopefully the other baggage disappears. It depends on individual preferences and temperament. Each dancer has to weigh options and figure out what works.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

True enough. :) It surely is a trade-off.....a very expensive trade-off. And, because of that, I am quite limited as to how many comps I can do each year.

As far as a dancing with a less committed partner, I was understanding that phrase as 'less committed to dance' rather than just competing. I mean, if you're less committed to competing, couldn't that also translate to less of a committment to practice and improvement? If I could find someone who was equally committed to dance but perhaps not quite as enthused about competing, various forms of 'incentive' or persuasion might be employed. :)

Ah shoot.....stranger things have happened, I suppose, but, I'm not holding my breath. For now, pro-am it is.

16. Terpsichorean Clod

:tapping fingers: ;)

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Ahem... :eyebrow: ;)

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: interpretations

Hi TC, .. and what do you think about my early explanation, now?
    OD

19. Terpsichorean Clod

I'm sorry, OD. My experiences remain quite the opposite of what you described. I think it very unlikely that I will ever encounter a dance community with trophy partners. Perhaps I'm still not quite understanding you. :)

20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

.. but the results do: withdraw my vote, and it is still very likely, isnt it?