General Dance Discussion > Would you relocate for dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Jan 15, 2004.

?

Would you relocate for dance?

1. Absolutely - dance is in my blood

100.0%
  2. Probably -- I don't think I could live without dance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'd consider it, but career, family, etc. come first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nope. Dancing is a fun hobby, but I have to take care of business, dance or no dance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other -- please comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So we all know certain towns are great for dance and have active dance scenes. Other towns, not so much.

Question: would you relocate to get to a better dance scene? Or, if already considering relocation for other reasons, would dance figure into your decision?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

If I am relocating the dance scene would be a factor as I don't think that I could survive without some latin dancing. Well if I was moving with someone who I enjoyed latin dancing with, and she was willing to dance at home....then the place I would live would become more important...

3. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Absolutely--and I have done so. But then, dance IS my career.

4. KevinL

KevinL New Member

I won't relocate for dance until my daughter goes to college, and perhaps I won't do it then, depending on how things turn out in the next few years. However, just like I did when I moved here, I'll relocate anywhere in the country the next time my exwife decides to move with our daughter.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm the one who said "nope." I certainly can drive and would drive to dance.

6. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

A very big reason I moved from my home town to San Diego was for the potential dance training...

If there was no more of that here, I would move for sure!

7. virginiadancegirl

virginiadancegirl New Member

Good question...as I'm training for dance to BE my career....that's a tough question. I would have to seriously consider the options and evaluate it with my husband and daughter. At this point, I would say no...but you never know what can change..........

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I have done so. I moved to CT for my boyfriend yes, but also for the lindy hop. There is very minimal good lindy hop in RI. Mostly ECS.

9. pygmalion

Although it's conceivable at some point in the future, right now I probably wouldn't relocate FOR dance. But dance will definitely be considered in any future moves I make. I definitely won't move to the dance boondocks. I simply have to dance.

Just for fun, check out dancepartner.com sometimes. You'll see lots of amateur dancers willing to relocate great distances for a dance partner. Or I wonder if it's a life partner they're looking for. Mighty interesting. Hmm.

10. Sagitta

You know what Pygmalion? I wondered about that too!! About the amateurs who were willing to relocate on dancepartners.com!

11. Sagitta

Reason why I'm not moving? Ithaca is a great place for dance. It's great for salsa, swing, argentine tango...only thing lacking is ballroom dancing!!

12. pygmalion

Speaking of dancepartner.com, many of those potential lead/partners that were there last week, are gone now. You've really gotta snap 'em up quick! :lol:

13. Sagitta

Mine is still there, but she is way out of my league!! :? :(

14. pygmalion

You never know, Sagitta. I, personally, would prefer to have a less experienced partner who shares my goals than an experienced partner who's on a different wavelength. It can't hurt to contact her. what's the worse that can happen? She says no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, or some other cliche certainly fits in here. :oops: :lol:

15. Sagitta

I just might!! I'm veering more and more to doing so, though perhaps I should wait until I come back from India. Starting out for less then a month and then having a break of a month might be a little too much!!

16. lilsexyclogger07

lilsexyclogger07 New Member

ya...i'd move for dance but currently i drive from missouri to illinois(1hr) for dance just because i've been with the same group over there for ten years and my dad was one of the original starters of the group i'm in so it runs in the family lol my mom clogged my dad clogged and me and my sister do 2... :p