Dancers Anonymous > Would you take a job if...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SPratt74, May 1, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok I have this awesome job that I may get (won't find out until this week), but there's one thing that I don't like about it. I have to be there at 6:15 in the morning and stay there until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The other problem is that I would have to wake up around 4 and it takes me a good half an hour to get across town. The thing is that everything else fits into what I want for a job. But the truth is that I am not a morning person. I'm sure that I could get used to the schedule, but I'm almost afraid that I will have no life if I take a job where you have to wake up so early. I know that sounds silly, but I dance at night, spend time with my family etc. at night, but I would almost feel like I couldn't do so since I'd have to wake up so early. It would be better if it were like a 9-5 type of job instead of having to wake up so early. Does this sound silly?

I know that they have done studies though to prove that you need to find out what time of day works for you, because that is when you are the most productive. Well, I am the most productive during the afternoon and evening hours just not the morning hours. My dad was like this too though, and my mom was the opposite. What do you think? Have you ever turned down a job if it didn't meet a requirement that you were looking for even if it sounded a tiny bit silly to turn it down for that reason?

2. saludas

saludas New Member

6 to 3 is 2 hours difference from 9-5. What is your problem?

3. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I won't take the job. Period. I know i will make a lot of sacrifices to get/keep a job i really like, but if i were in your shoes, i would turn it down.

Sounds like someone is just coming off at 6am from night shift and you have to be the next shift person......... If that is the case, the early start will then be non-negotiable.......

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Um, no. I would not take a job that involved getting up at 4am. Never. Don't care how good it is.

a) I'd be exhausted all the time and not performing my best. I'd be physically uncomfortable and unhappy, which is not worth it.
    b) How in the world would I going to go dancing if I had to be up at 4? Even Friday would be out of the question, since I'd probably be to tired to go out. And only dancing on Saturday night is just not enough.

So no - I wouldn't even consider it. There are other jobs out there in the world - good ones - good ones that work with your lifestyle. Wait for one of those.

5. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

I think you can over think things... I'm a big believer in trusting your feelings, and then (maybe) after the fact rationalizing.

I wouldn't turn a great job down just because it started early. You can make that work for you... the extra time in the afternoons can be good. Do shopping, go to the gym, take some private lessons.

On the other hand... if it didn't feel right... and you couldn't exactly identify what it was that was wrong... well, a 6:15 start is as good as any reason to tell people.

6. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on your situation and your priorities.

If this is a job that offers you good opportunities to learn and a good career path (or if your financial situation demands you get a job now), I would ask the employer if down the road - maybe after a year or so - you could switch to later hours and then make a decision to take the job or not.

If you have the luxury of time and do not need a job right away, you probably can afford to keep looking. But just a word of caution, I wonder if there is an animal called "the perfect job" out there? There was always some aspect of the job that wasn't quite what I wanted when I worked (as my dad would say to me "that's why they call it work!"). I would say I found something that came close, but I also made compromises.

If your priority at this time is not career, money, and/or financial security - and is in your dancing, your family, your friends, I would indeed think carefully about taking the position. But you don't get something for nothing! If you are not making your work your priority now, there are natural consequences in that too (ie. lower pay, less opportunity, etc.).

And lastly, if you do decide to try this position and it isn't working for you after say a year, you can always look again. I wouldn't do it too often (and get a rep as a "job hopper"), but it is an option.

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, this job isn't in shifts, because I would be teaching. However, I would be teaching little kids that have lots of energy. I don't think that I'd have the energy to keep up with them in the end. This is why I would love to have the job, because I love little kids, but man the hours are horrible. If it were more like 8 even then I'd be fine with it, but yes I'd have to wake up around 4, and I know for a fact right now that just wouldn't be possible.

The problem is that you have to add on two hours more in order for me to be there in time. We live in a huge city and it takes a good half an hour to get there any given day no matter what time of the day it is. Plus... it takes me time to eat and get showed and dressed. So you have to take this into consideration as well. It's not just 6 that I'm worried about. It's what happens before the 6 a.m. mark that worries me.

8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I am definitely not a morning person. I absolutely hate mornings. Yet if the job was so great, I would consider it. See, I would sort of divide my sleep hours in two parts and I'd sleep 3 hours or so and sleep the rest after work or some time in the afternoon. I think you could make this work. Could you perhaps try the job for a month and see if you can live with such a schedhule?
    Oh, and I would do all-nighters. ;) I'm a person that is so adrenaline-pumped around 3am that I'd come back from clubbing, hit the shower, eat some breakfast, get some turbo coffee and head for work. That's something I would easily be able to do once a week. But some people can't do it. I'm not a morning person, see, but I can pull 48 hours with no sleep if the arrangement is right. I really don't know how your body works. Mine is just plain weird.

T_E

9. saludas

saludas New Member

it's still 2 hours. Waking up at 6 to get to work at 8 is the same as getting up at 4 to be there at 6.

Coming home at 3pm means you have a few hours to sleep before you go out for the evening.

In a 24 hour world, it's the same as anyone's time, IMO...

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I wish I could do that. But to be honest with you, I am having a hard problem right now getting going with my 8:00 classes. I know that seems silly, but I did so much better when I took night classes. And here's the weird thing. I can get migraines if my body is over exhausted amongst other things as to which then I cannot function at all. I take medicine for migraines in order to help ease the pain.

Anyways, I know that for me the best job that I had was when I worked at the college from noon until 11 at night. I could do those hours, which worked for them as well, because the day people could go home and I could finish what they started that day. This is why I don't like comparing jobs, but at the same time if you know what works best for you then why go through the stress only to quit something after a month, you know?

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I don't get why you think that two hours difference means the same thing, because it doesn't to some people. And coming home that late doesn't mean that you have a few hours to sleep in my world. It means that I have to get ready for night school as well as dance and other things. Classes begin at 6 at the college that I go to, and I'm not switching colleges, because I get my college paid for free. And I know if I were to fall asleep around 3 that I probably would not be ready in time when 6:00 came.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

if people were robots (or trolls!) going to work two hours earlier would be "the same as" going to work two hours later. but people are not robots (although some *are* trolls) and they have circadian rhythms. you seem to already know the answer to the questios "would this be good for me." unless, as other posters have suggested, the job represents a significant career opportunity or other strong motivator, i think you'd be infringing upon your quality of life pretty significantly were you to take this job.

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel right now! This would be a great job if the hours were different. But I guess though that for me now that I'm thinking about it more after discussing it with all of you that maybe this job isn't the best job for me. I do live in a big city and while I could use a job right now, I don't need one right away. I can still look around since I'm school and have a few weeks left. If anything, I could go back to retail and work there too. They are usually very flexible about your schedule especially if you are in school.

I also guess that with me that since I have to take twelve credit hours on top of work and everything else that I have to take that into consideration as well. Night classes are two and a half hours long and sometimes three depending on the projects. That's an awfully long day especailly if you have homework and tests to study for. But again, this is why I loved discussing this issue today, because you all made me think of things I never would have thought of either way! And as I said in my first post, I don't even know if I have the job yet, but it's best to think in advance before they call you back if you want the job or not you know?

14. icering

icering New Member

It depends on what your afternnons look like, I hate my hours right now and they are 12-8pm and 1-9pm That kills the whole day, I take off and come in late all the time because I can't schedule anything because it blocks the day and night. So a late job isn't always good. i would rather get up early and have my day and night to plan other activities then to have it shot by work hours.

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I guess for me it depends. I've worked at a number of jobs, starting everywhere from 5:00 AM (which required my getting up before 4:00AM) to about 9:00 AM (which required my being at work until at least 6:00, often 7:00PM.) I've found that my ideal workday, from a productivity perspective, is about 8:30 - 5:30 or 6:00. I can't remember the last time I worked those hours. lol. I've found that, even though they're not ideal, I can work pretty much any hours I have to.

My take? If the shift is non-negotiable and for the long run, I'd probably say no, since I am not an early morning person, either. But, if there's an option to switch shifts in the future (for example, with increased tenure) I might be open to accepting the position, since it seems to fit your employment needs in other ways. Why not ask a few questions before you turn it down? :cool: :)

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh I understand what you are saying. The reason why I stayed at the college was because they gave me the whole weekend off (including Friday), so I could make my appointments then. Otherwise, I don't think that I would have stayed that long since I do believe in yearly checkups and things like that you should do to keep yourself healthy! ;)

17. RhumbaWaltz

RhumbaWaltz New Member

I would not take the job. Getting up at 4am will wreak havoc on your bio-rhythms if you're not a morning person. I had a job for 2 years where I had to be in at 7am and it was impossible every single day because I'm a night person. Even when I went to bed really early I couldn't get to sleep and kept thinking about how early I had to wake up. And this was a job I really liked!

Good luck with your decision.

18. The early bird gets the worm!

I'm not a morning person either, but I work from 7-4pm. I don't like getting up that early, but if the job is rewarding enough, it's worth it. In past jobs, I've worked afternoon shifts, midnights.... They all have their advantages/disadvantages. I'm just glad I'm not working 7am-7pm (7days/week) anymore!

19. hepcat

hepcat Member

I have trouble enough as it is with 9-5, let alone 6-3. I couldn't do it personally. I wouldn't even have to think about it. I'd turn it down. Too much of my life takes place between 8 and midnight. When I don't get the bare minimum of the sleep I need, I invariably end up getting sick. It takes me quite some time to get to sleep, so it's not like I can simply take a nap in the afternoon. I'd spend an hour laying there just looking at the ceiling feeling tired as hell. Sometimes it catches up to me and I can get to sleep within maybe 15 minutes, but due to whatever reason, that happens at the most once a week.

However I have other factors: insomnia and sleep apnia, and it seems to get worse over the winter months. I'm only now starting to feel somewhat refreshed in the mornings - as if I'm waking from a deep sleep. The difference is astonishing. The way I feel in the mornings over the winter versus the way I feel over the summer with the same amount of sleep is huge. I only recently came to realize it was a seasonal thing, I guess because the change is usually gradual. This spring though, it seemed to happen over night, literally.

I should probably get this sort of thing documented by a doctor... maybe they have something for it that works long term instead of simple sleeping pills, because I'm too afraid to start popping those regularly. Boy did I love ambien when I took that while I was sick once!

-hepcat

20. icering

icering New Member

^^ that was a good point....so bottom line, take a look at your lifestyle and then see whats best for you, I think you have gotten all possible sides of every hour slot lol.