Dancers Anonymous > Would you take a job if...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SPratt74, May 1, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Actually no. That wasn't my thought, at least. My thought was embarrassing. I was thinking, "Young people today just don't know how to be flexible and pay their dues. :shock: :lol:

Yes, I think you should figure out what's best for you and be realistic about what you can accomplish, if circumstances are less-than-ideal. But still. Sometimes, circumstances in the workplace won't be ideal. What're you gonna do? Quit every time you don't get hours you like? No. That's not my preference. My preference is to work within the system to get the outcomes I want. Hence my suggestion -- find out whether there's any flexibility in the future, before tossing a good-faith, otherwise-acceptable, job offer out the window.

(Bear in mind that I was raised in an old-fashioned, mostly baby-boomers-for-kids, family. So my view may be distorted and old fashioned. :lol: )

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

*rocking in my rocking chair in the corner near the fireplace, afghan 'cross my knees, cane in one hand*

ah pygmalion, these young whipper snappers now-a-days....I remember the days when we had to trek 10 miles across town through the snow with no breakfast to attend school in our little one room school house....my how things have changed... ;)

All kidding aside, as long as they accept the consequences of their decisions...guess you gotta' let 'em decide what they want most out of their lives. Just gotta' hope that it'll be an informed decision, which is why I applaud SPratt74 for seeking advice from many....

3. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I would say go with your gut instinct, and if it is telling you to think twice, think twice.

I am definitely a night person, my mother was also. I currently work a midnight to 8pm shift and it is the best shift I have ever worked.

Getting up at 6am was a killer for me, even back when I was a "young whipper snapper" because I could never go to sleep at night.

Now I sleep during the morning/early afternoon, take care of business and teach/dance in the evenings.

It helps that I am single and have no family responsibilites. But I am also the least stressed out, healthiest I have every been in my life.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. It just blows my mind, sometimes -- the difference in workplace world view between baby boomers and generation Xers and beyond. Not a judgment, mind you, just an observation. Neither world view is right or wrong. They just are. *shrug*

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm a late night person. When single I could manage getting to bed late and woking early, but I would come home and zonk out immediately for a couple hours. Now, of course with kids around that is hard to do and so i wouldn't take a early hours job. In fact I'm looking for a job that pays a little more and in turn will only be 9 months a year, or perhaps one that has a 30 hour work week. A little overall reduction in pay, compensated by more "other non-work" time.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well the one thing to keep in mind (from my rocking chair) is that even if you want to try to change your rhythym about the time shift....it will be of no use unless you can fully commit your attitude...just like dieting...if you tell yourself you are being deprieved you will most certainly not be able to feel otherwise....if you tell yourself that you can get used to the shift and that it will be worth it you are in a better position to at least try...otherwise you are doomed from the get go....(taking spectacles off and sipping some prune juice before my nap)

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I see your prune juice and I'll raise you a bottle of Geritol... as soon as Lawrence Welk gets to the next commercial... :D

Here's my thinking on it. First, if it was me, my #1 priority would have to be my career. That absolutely has to come ahead of any recreational activity. (That doesnt' mean I'm a workaholic, but it does mean that I can't engage in a recreational activity that would hinder my ability to remain employed in my chosen field). So, my first question would be: how important is this for your chosen career path? Is this a big opportunity to take a step up on your career ladder, or is it just another job?

Second: I don't know how old you are. (And I don't expect you to tell... :shock: ) The reason I bring it up is, when you're younger and relatively free of responsibility, you have more latitude to experiment with your lifestyle. If this job isn't important to your career, and it would interfere with other things that you want to do, perhaps you could find a different job with better hours. It might not pay as well, but that might be a tradeoff that you would be willing to make, at least for the short term.

Do you have a fallback option? We had a young instructor that left our studio last year, to go work for a big studio in West Palm Beach. She did give up a goodly amount of students at our studio when she moved, and right before she left, I could tell she was having second thoughts. I sat her down and told her, "Although I will miss you personally, I think you should go. If you go, and it doesn't work out, you can always come back and you'll have friends here to help you get back on your feet. But if you don't go, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering what you missed."

So, without more info, I can't really cast a knowledgable vote as to whether you should take it or not. My short answer would be: Don't make a career-limiting move. Beyond that, it's just a matter of deciding whether you think the tradeoffs are worth it. Remember, more money does not in itself make it a better job.

8. hepcat

hepcat Member

I'll concede the point. It's a good one. I'm not necessarily telling him he should turn it down either. I'm just saying what I would do personally. In fact, I wouldn't even take the shift he currently has! :lol: And I do agree with the existance of a paying dues phase. I did that too. However, also keep in mind that I have a government job with flexible hours doing research. If I come in late, I stay late. So I suppose I'm spoiled. :cool:

-hepcat

9. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

You know...it's not to long back that people didn't have such options on time in regards to jobs. Work from home/half days/split shifts/etc...all pretty new/recent ideas.

It's a shame that so many people of my generation feel such a lofty sense of entitlement. Remember that old adage "life ain't fair"..it's not just a saying. Sometimes work hours stink, sometimes it's the pay or the work itself. DEAL WITH IT.

I agree with Pygmalion, pay the bills first then worry about your social life. Post college I put my social life on complete hold. It was just after 9/11 and I was determined to get a job in NYC. When, after three months of looking, one came along, I took it despite waking up at 4a to catch an hour and a half long train into the city and not getting home until around 10p. Go to sleep, do it again. Even now, in a better job my hours are painful. It's not required to stay late, but you are expected to do so.

I can pay my bills, I can save money, and I can still have a social life...i've learned to work with it and some pretty nasty hours. Call it paying dues or gaining life experience. It's great that this particular situation has some flexibility..the job apparently isn't an urgent need and allows for some pickiness. But that isn't always the case. In this situation, no I would not take the job if I knew there were plenty of options/opportunities out there due to the lack of urgency...but I understand that sometimes you need to just stink it up.

10. fascination

I love you cornutt...she says in men's white workshirt...lol...just kidding, wife

very smart guy... I recommend listening

11. fascination

you new yorkers are just so gentle sometimes...lol;)

12. alemana

alemana New Member

i didn't get hte sense at all that the hesitation with this job was about giving up social life time exclusively.

in any case if we 're not in a scarcity job market, there's no reason to ignore one's suspicion that it's not the right job at this time.

13. fascination

agree.. and I gotta tell ya that while I tend to be a "deal with it" kinda girl, at least in how I treat myself...it is my experience that my internal rhythyms are very resistant to alteration...not impossible, but I respect the concern...especially if there are other options available...still, if something was nearly perfect in every other way i would be inclined to give it a whirl

14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Blame it on a need to throttle people at work. I've been at my company three years....most of my coworkers are just out of school. They, and friends of mine, all have the youthful entitlement attitude and recently I've been hearing it on speaker phone regularly.

The pay isn't enough, the hours are horrible, there's so much work....Well...what did they expect? They don't have some overwhelming skill or experience that allows them to make their own hours or more money. Contrary to popular believe..the grass isn't always greener. Most of the time it's just as brown. Life isn't out to get them keeping them from the gold job with long lunches and little work. They believe that they should have the bigger office, better title all because they graduated college. It doesn't work that way.

Now, one could call me jaded..in truth I'm not. I'm more chagrined at the attitudes of people my age.

I mentioned social life as it's the complaint I hear most. But my thoughts were more in line with the fact that until recent years the hours they wanted you to work are what you got regardless of being a night owl or a morning person. There are a lot of careers still like that (i.e. farming).

(and yes, I'm going of a general overview, not this particular case)

15. alemana

alemana New Member

i totally agree about young person entitlement syndrome, especially prevalent in my experience teaching university (GROSS GENERALIZATION ALERT) among the upper-middle classes and above. god those kids are full of themselves!

i also had a long period of "time to buckle down and pay my dues' when i first started. but i also listened to myself and made good choices, and i didn't behave as if it were the great depression when in fact jobs were plentiful.

16. saludas

saludas New Member

We always joked that we could see the look of disappointment on a newbie's face when the saw what their pay and job was, especially an entry level worker. "Sorry, but I wanted the job that allowed me to get up at 11am, paid three times as much money as I needed, and had no supervision, stress, or accountability."

Yeah, that job. LOL

17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

It is refreshing to read the posts here that indicate such strong work ethics and understanding of the realities of the work world from the younger members here!

I too have seen some of the younger generation grow up with a sense of entitlement, and I have to admit it - it just makes my hair curl. I have nieces that are graduating from college soon that are expecting to start at the senior vice president level. I swear, one of them took a summer job and was miffed because they actually made her work! I can only cross my fingers and hope that they'll be okay.

*shaking head wearily...looking for the ben gay and heating pad*

18. fascination

and yet none of us is really working at this particular moment...lol

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh haha! I haven't been able to read all of the posts yet, but I hope that you all didn't think that I was a lazy worker lol. I actually worked as an Administrative Assistant at a college for five years, and boy you were on your feet people lol! Then I worked a few retail jobs before that since 1996 when I moved here, but they all lasted two to three years each!!! The thing about those jobs though was that I wasn't in school and I could work any hours. The thing now that I would like is that I have two computer degrees and am working on two more right now (why not school is free thanks to our government lol). So, I have to take my schooling into consideration now as well as other factors like usuing the degrees that I have in the real world. Also, I had been working since I was fourteen (which was seventh grade for me). We used to pull weeds during the summer at my cousins farm amongst other things. (Now they don't do that.) But that was how I got clothes and things for the school year! Anyways, I'll finish reading your posts, but I hope that I did not give you the wrong impression lol!

20. hepcat

hepcat Member

Well, don't get me wrong. I don't expect to be able to glide by. I don't want to be a manager - I don't want that responsibility, but I do want challenging work. I'm just saying, I would take a job with more flexible hours over one without. That's not to say I wouldn't take a job with more strict hours for a time. However, I very much dislike it when I don't have challenging work to do. I want to have a job that intellectually satisfies me. However, work is not my life. Career is important and it weighs heavily in work related decisions, but I weigh other aspects of my life just as heavily. I put my career first until just a few years ago when I finished my masters. I was working full time and doing a masters full time for awhile. I went to night classes before that to fulfill prerequisites since my masters is in a different field from my undergrad. There was a time when I had to force myself to go dancing at least once a month to stay sane. After all that toil, I have some flexibility to be a bit picky in the jobs I take. I don't expect to make top dollar. As long as I have enough to live the life I want to live and plan for the future, then I'm content. However, I made a decision back when I'd started a PhD (before I changed majors and went for my masters). I decided that I was tired of always feeling like "if I just get through this, I'll be happy later". I wasn't happy for a long time and I decided when I changed my career goals that if I lived life that way, I would never be happy. I decided that if I was going to be happy, I needed to be happy now - as a philosophy. And I arranged my career to achieve that. I decided that ambition for monetary gain or status wasn't paramount in my life. That's not to say I decided to give up all my aspirations, I just lowered them a bit. I decided that I would be happier that way and that's how I live my life now and I AM happier. I don't have anything against people who delve themselves into their work. If that makes them happy, then that's great. I'll advance my career at my own pace, not someone else's. And I'll make my own decisions. I will not be pushed into something which I decide is not what I want. What's better for someone else is not necessarily better for me. But I also have a sense of responsibility and I expect to work. I simply enjoy the freedom of choosing the environment I work in. That's enough for me and I'm content. Depending on the opportunity, I'll make some sacrifices and balance things out and hours I work are something I'm less willing to compromise. I will compromise them if I feel like it will be balanced by the payoffs or if the aspects of the job I currently have change, but if given the choice of taking an outside job, I will be less likely to take it if the hours are uncomfortable for me. There's nothing wrong with that decision. Everyone has to make it for themselves. What's right for someone is not necessarily right for someone else and I think it's wrong to tell SP74 what s/he should do. You can tell someone what you would do and what or how much certain things are important to you, but those things will never be exactly the same for them. In telling someone what's important to you, you will give them the opportunity to gauge for themselves how important that aspect is to them. But you cannot tell them how important something is to them. You might have an opinion of how important it should be, but that's your opinion, not a universal truth no matter what you're talking about.

-hepcat