Dancers Anonymous > Wouldn't It Be Cool If We Could All Get Together and Dance.

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Spitfire, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but just for fun...

:idea:
    If this forum could hold it's own dance. Imagine if everyone here could attend. In what venue or sort of facility would you want to hold it and what features would you want to include? Would you want a theme?

Actually, I have to think on this one a bit so I'll wait for answers.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It would be cool, sort of like a family reunion, without old Aunt Martha's singing.

I think we need to flesh this one out, because I don't see why it can't happen, for real. There are lots of dance camps, workshops and comps all over the country. Why not coordinate showing up at one? It would be some work, but it could be done.

Let me think on it a bit.

3. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Now that would be really fun, with the exception that I don't know a lick of Salsa and couldn't dance with some of you. I'd better go quick and get some Salsa lessons!!! :lol:

4. Spitfire

Actually swing and lindy hop groups hold swing exchanges for the purpose of inviting out of town dancers. These generally run about 4 days with lots of activities which include non-dance stuff like hikes and tours and lots and lots of dancing. 8)

There's going to be one of these in Phoenix at the end of next month and I think Seattle's hosting one too.

I believe the Dancescape forum did actually hold a dance of its own. Have no idea of how it went though.

5. pygmalion

Oops!

Now I have to take some lindy hop lessons! :lol: :lol:

We should probably plan at least a few months in advance, so people can arrange hotels and airfare, but I don't see why we can't just do this.

What does everybody else think?

6. Spitfire

Never fear; plenty of all dances if one does not know a certain dance. :wink:

How's about a pot luck banquet and open bar?
    Live Music? 8)

Other :idea: ?

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I promise you that I could get you through a salsa, no worries :wink:

8. Spitfire

Well I made this post just for fun, but if people here were serious about it I'd be all for it. :D

9. pygmalion

Let's see how other people respond. I, for one, think it would be great fun and very enlightening for us all. To keep it simple, we could go to an event being sponsored by someone else.

Then, it's pretty easy to arrange a party in the host hotel -- book a suite or banquet room, food, DJ. If we wanted to, we could arrange our own little "dance-forums reception." It's easy to do. Let's just put out feelers and see if there's any interest.

10. SDsalsaguy

Honestly, if the base event were a ballroom or salsa event I'd be there. If the base event were a swing one, then I'd go if it were very convenient but -- time and resources being what they are -- I wouldn't be able to justify the trip if it wasn't very fairly local. :?

(NOT to say we couldn't do and have *lots* of swing at our own event for all those here who'd be interested!)

11. pygmalion

Actually, SD, I was going to suggest California as a possible location. A lot of our more vocal members are in CA or within a reasonable drive. And there's no reason why it couldn't be ballroom or salsa. If we did our own outing, it could be as simple as an outing in town, where swing or anything else could be danced. Whatever. I'm game. Let me take a look around at a few websites, ask a few folks, and see what's out there. Then we can all "talk". I think this is a fun idea. What does anybody else think?

12. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I'm game, I only know the basics of ECS and WCS so I'd probably sit most of them out. Don't know any Ballroom, but if anyone wants to teach :D. Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and Cha Cha we can get down!

13. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I'm game. Someone suggested going to an event already happening. Most conventions I go to have all different types of music, but of course, WCS is the main. This November is Mountain Magic Swing Dance convention being held in Reno, Nevada. It's a small convention, the hotel rates aren't bad and they play lots of different types of music and I'm sure there are plenty of nightclubs to check out for dancing. It could be a mini vacation for a weekend. There are also plenty of monthly dances being held in the Bay Area that we can shoot for that would welcome out of town people. Just thinking off the top of my head....this is fun!

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Sd,
    My wife (Carolyn) says she gets one of the first few Salsa's with you. Believe me, She doesn't even do Salsa for, but I've seen her do it, and she CAN FOLLOW!

BY the way, you said local . . . there is a huge UCWDC event coming at the end of October in San Diego . . . get more info at www.ucwdc.com.

Is that local enough for you? We'll be there anyway . . . Care is competiting. It's her last competition as an Intermediate . . . She is moving up to advanced.

We are staying at the Marriot-Mission Valley Hotel . . . Oct 31 , Nov 1 & 2. It's a C&W and Swing event . . .

Country and Swing people could stay and dance there, while you take the Salsa people on the town for Salsa. Just need to find a place for the Ballroom people. Maybe some of us can meet????

Wow . . . the first annual Dance-Forums Dance . . . :wink:

15. SDsalsaguy

Well, that certainly is local enough for me Vince :wink:

Friday nights there's always a ballroom dance at Champion Ballroom, not even 5 minutes from Mission Valley! Good salsa on Fri. & Sat. nights here as well.

Let Carolyn know that she has a place reserved near the top of my salsa dance card :wink:

16. pygmalion

I hope you guys have a blast! :D

Unfortunately, I can't do that weekend, because I have big plans in my (non-dance) other life. Any suggestions of another time that could work, maybe later? Did you have anything in mind, spitfire? What about your suggestion, dancergal? Reno in November might work for me or others.

Let's keep talking.

17. SDsalsaguy

I'd actually planned to be up in LA for a ballroom comp that weekend myself, but figured I could drive back down for a night if this comes together...

18. pygmalion

We'll figure out a time and place that works for most, I'm sure. Getting together is a great idea, and I'm sure we will. :D

19. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Al and Eddie puts together an awesome venue for the new years in Palm Springs, CA that has both swing and salsa workshops at the same time, which may be worth checking out

Here is a link for more info:
    http://www.dancefreak.com/newyears

:wink:

20. SDsalsaguy

Doh! :shock:

I'm always at the Montez ballroom camp at that time, but still, I can't believe I forgot about that! Good call dancer at heart!