Dancers Anonymous > Wouldn't It Be Cool If We Could All Get Together and Dance.

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Spitfire, Sep 18, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Woah...too much pressure (besides, I'd say they should all be in SD whenever fits into my schedule). Before I need to pick a day, however, how about listing some actual date/location combos? Then I/we can run a poll and see which seem the most viable. OK?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That sounds good, SD. It's always good to give people a chance to have input. I'll take a look around for a few possible locations on the West Coast or in the Southwest. Accessdance is one place to look. Are there others?

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Say, how's about if we take our avatars and make a badge to wear. For those not using one the username in big bold letters. :wink:

4. pygmalion

Darn! Then I guess I'd better upload an avatar! :lol:

5. pygmalion

Oh, my goodness! Why in the world didn't someone tell me what I was volunteering for? The world of dance is SO decentralized, and there are event listings spread hither and yon. Here's a short, short listing of some of the things I found, together with things that have already been suggested in this thread. I have mostly C&W and Swing events -- those seem to have the best organized national events websites. I'll keep looking for ballroom and salsa events. Or, if you have suggestions, please post.

By the way, there's a lot out there. Maybe we could narrow things down by picking a timeframe :?: :idea:

Paradise Country Dance Festival San Diego, CA October 31 - November 2, 2003

Phoenix Lindy Exchange, Phoenix, AZ October 30 - November 2, 2003

Mountain Magic Swing Dance Convention Reno, NV November 7 - 9, 2003

Las Vegas Dance Finale (C&W) Las Vegas, NV December 11 - 14, 2003

Al& Edie Espinoza's Salsa Freak New Years Dance Camp Palm Springs, CA December 31, 2003 - January 4, 2004

Monterey Swing Fest Monterey, CA January 15 - 19, 2004

Swing Diego January 22 - 25, 2004 San Diego, CA

Fresno Country Classic, Fresno, CA May 27 - 31, 2004

Camp Hollywood (Swing) Los Angeles, CA July 29 - August 1, 2004

Disclaimer: I've never attended any of these events. I'm hoping word of mouth in the forums and our contacts will help us check the quality. :D

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    We do at least 6 of those events . . . the Fresno event is the very best, but a very busy and packed place during that time. It's definitely partytime there! Just difficult to do much else!

If I were to pick one of these, as having attended most of them, I'd do the Monterey Swing Fest in January . . . it leaves little or nothing for those C&W fans, but it does have a lot of Swing, NC2S, Hustle, Cha Cha, Waltz, and quite a bit of Salsa mixed in. However, there are great clubs downtown that offer Salsa . . . plus it's a great place to vacation. The weather there in January is good.

Phoenix would be my third choice, even though it would leave Care and I out as she competes with 9 routines in San Diego at the time, and I'm trying to put routines together for the Pro-Am Swing and Hustle comps.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Vince

7. pygmalion

Thanks, Vince. I'll wait a little while to see if I get any other suggestions, then set up a poll to get people's preferences. January sounds good to me. :D

Jenn

8. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I'll be attending Mountion Magic, Monterey Swing Fest and Fresno. I'll also vote for Monterey as being the best for all of us to meet. Easy to get to and not as crowded as the Fresno event, more variety of music.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Think maybe we'll get that dance afterall???

Monterey is my first choice . . . location, location, location!

10. SDsalsaguy

Just as an option Jenn, keep in mind the Montez camp at the end of Dec. in SD...that way we could also all spend New Year's together! :D :D :D

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

San Diego at that time of the year is wonderful . . . and there is always a place to Swing and C&W and Ballroom, as well as a "few" places to Salsa :wink:

12. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I won't be able to make it to SD for New Year's. :cry: We're having lots of relatives coming during Christmas and New Year's. Some staying at our house.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Me either . . . we'll be at World's competition in Nashville for the New Year!
    :cry: Me too!

And . . . they'd probably have a miserable time w/o us!

14. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Of course, we'd be the life the the party!! 8)

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking . . . :roll:

16. SDsalsaguy

Hey now you two... :tongue:

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes Pam . . . control yourself!!!!

One of us has to! :wink:

18. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

what a great concept. we'd have to call the fire department, we'd be so hot!!!!!!!! 8) (bit of jr. high humor there, i couldn't resist)

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Actually we're planning a DF "family reunion" of sorts. It will be small and part of a larger dance event (don't know if it will have tap though!)

There's currently a poll going in this forum as a run-off election between the top two locations thus far... Reno Navada and Monterey CA... isn't that on your coast? :D

20. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I'd do the one in Phoenix, but I dont know how to lindy yet...I'm learning on Monday (no joke)