Dancers Anonymous > Wouldn't You Have Loved To Drive THIS?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

www.turbinecar.com

Featuring fully automatic starting and 130 horses of JET power under the hood, Chrysler ALMOST revolutionized the automobile, circa 1965

[​IMG]

2. Bob

Bob New Member

:lol:

a jet engine that creates 130hp !! I bet you would have difficulty creating so few horsepower today.

(Of course, that is not to minimize the engineering of the day... only to compare then and now)

Think of an f-15 fighter, that makes (using 2 turbofans) 23,950 pounds of thrust :car:

That would get you to daycare in a hurry, wouldn't it? hahah!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What a sweet vehicle! :D

4. Phil Owl

Bob said: Think of an f-15 fighter, that makes (using 2 turbofans) 23,950 pounds of thrust

That would get you to daycare in a hurry, wouldn't it? hahah!

That sure would alright! :lol:

The problem with the Chryslers was the engine, not the most reliable thing (a TON of heat buildup, which is typical of a gas turbine), plus, it ran on either Diesel#2 or Kerosene (not real easily available to the average driver in those days).

I found out Chrysler wasn't the first to try a car like this, the Brits got the jump with the Rover Jet 1 back in the early 1950's.

http://www.allsportauto.com/detailphoto.php3?zl_id=7460&zl_idMD=853

5. pygmalion

Hey. It may not have worked well, but it sure looked pretty. :wink: And, while we're on the topic of sweet-looking cars, what do you think if the new T-bird?

6. Bob

Bob New Member

Personally I like the t-bird. I didn't get to write the training on that vehicle :-(

But it has become a bit of an albatross... nobody bought em.

The new Mustang on the other hand, woo hoo!

7. pygmalion

Woohoo! I just went to edmunds.com I'm shopping for a convertible, and the t-bird IS pretty, but it got much lower ratings than a couple other cars in the same price range. (I'm shopping for a car!! :banana: This time, I'm buying the car I really want, plus a beater vehicle to drive when I'm running errands.)

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup...the new American cars are actually beginning to look classy once again! They have zip and pizzaz! :)

9. Bob

Bob New Member

10. motardmom

motardmom New Member

Yeah, right. :roll: :lol: :lol:

11. Phil Owl

12. pygmalion

Yeah, right. 8) I've already negotiated a deal on a friend's 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. It's not the world's most beautiful car/truck, but hey. You can fit groceries in the back. And he made me a good deal. And he's anal retentive about taking good care of his cars. And I paid cash. So now I can shop for a T-bird (or BMW or a Lotus) with a clean conscience. 8)

Edit: Or Chrysler Crossfire. 8)

13. pygmalion

Beauty. Thanks for the link, Phil. I can't believe they destroyed most of them. :?