Salsa > Wow Salsa Music Is Totally Foreign to me! Any help?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Backstreet, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Backstreet

Backstreet New Member

Where can I find some Salsa songs on the internet? I want to get a better feel of the music. I just had my first class today and the music is totally foreign to me. I am very used to a hip-hop beat which is something that usually has a snare or type of drum beat which a person can follow.

IE, Usher's Yeah song goes like BAH BAH CLAP, BAH BAH Clap -- Snoop Dog's Drop it like it hot goes Ta, ta ta ta, Boom, ta -- If that makes sense.

Basically, what I am having trouble with in some of the songs is picking out the counts when they don't have a prominent snare or drum beat. Usher's Yeah, for instance, goes like 1 and 2, 3 and 4, with the claps (Drum) landing on the second beat.

NOTE: I am not a musician :)

Edit: I should note most of my dance background is popping and locking if you are familiar with it. If you've seen that show "So you think you can dance" you might be able to get an idea of what I am used to doing. I have done Ballet, Jazz, and Tap (And am still am) but Hip-hop is my main thing.

Second Edit: What I mean by songs is either free songs I could download or perhaps a free online Salsa/Latin Radio station. Anyone heard of internet radio?

2. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Backstreet:
    Have you ever heard of :google: ? :D

Try salsa online radio station and you will find many.

Salsa music is not always easy to dissect if you have not listened to it before, or if, like you, most of your music listening has been of another type. But you can learn to pick up the different rhythms the more you listen to it.

Here are some topics about it
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=444
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=469
    http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=733

I'm not a regular Salsa dancer, although I love to Salsa. You will probably be getting some more answers shortly from all the Salsa regulars, once they get back from dancing. :D Good luck, and have fun. [/b]

3. tacad

tacad New Member

Tomorrow I'll see if i can rack my brains to find a link. It broke down salsa pretty well. I don't have time tonight though.

4. ash88

ash88 New Member

w w w.salsastream.com

is a well known salsa radio station (remove the spaces between the w's though!)

Good luck.

5. mambonewb

mambonewb New Member

Live356.com has a number of "stations" featuring Salsa music. If you go to their site, do a search on "Salsa", then take your pick!

6. tacad

tacad New Member

7. kdogg

kdogg New Member

8. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

What a cute little emoticon. Didn't know there was a own one for google. Nice.

9. gte692h

gte692h Member

'SALSA A-GO-SALSA' is one of my favorite stations. salsa from the 70s, and earlier. great stuff! no romantic songs, just good, solid salsa.